Ricoh GR II

Discussion about Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR II

Postby umberto » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:00 pm

I m normally using my fullframe canon, and now bought a Ricoh GR II for street photograhy.
Because I don't want to think about settings anymore once I m outside, I m wondering how you are using this camera.
I can image I set in advance my ISO and use TV or AV, but what to do with the autofocus ?
I can use 1 focus point, but then the object should always be in the center, or may use the distance setting ?
If you can share your experience, that would be fine ...
umberto

Re: Ricoh GR II

Postby riccadonna » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:30 pm

umberto- On the main dial you have settings similar to reflex cameras. One can set ISO and use P, A, S, . I don't know if Cannon has TAV which I use often. You set shutter speed and aperture and camera chooses the ISO. For example you need reasonably fast shutter like 500-1000 maybe more and more depth of field so lets say f.5.6-8. On my GR I set the front wheel to change shutter and back wheel to change aperture. As to AF focus it`s bit more tricky. Spot is fine if you have time to aim it precisely, then you half press the button and recompose. Multi AF can be tricky because in contrast scene it often picks the biggest or brightest part of scene not necessary the closest one. One nice thing that Ricoh has and others don't is Snap focus. You set it at the distance you want and if you shoot in hurry just press quickly shutter button down and lens will jump to distance you set. I use it when taking a group of people wanting all elements reasonably sharp. You can change snap dist. on the fly holding macro down and turn the front wheel ( little triangle appears before distance marks). There`s a manual mode in two ways one to get in menu and set it, slow. Another much more interesting is an AEL/AFL button. You press it and it focuses the lens and shows the distance in display plus depth of field (DOF) for aperture chosen. Changing aperture you can see DOF bar moving and pressing macro you can move distance, seeing at the same time where DOF lays. Quite practical. The problem with modern cameras are that there are lot of buttons and wheels and there are few the stick to old Leicalike philosophy, shutter, aperture distance - shoot. Nice side of GR is that you can have it in inner pocket of you Armani jacket and nobody will see the bulge.
riccadonna

Re: Ricoh GR II

Postby umberto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi Riccadonna, thanks for the comprehensive explanation. I start with Tav and variable ISO with a max of 3200. I use the center AF and centre meting. We'll see whats gone happen. Ciaociao
umberto

Return to Ricoh GR