Some weird rocks

Discussion about Ricoh GR

Re: Some weird rocks

Postby Blow-in » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:43 pm

Just catching-up having been away a while. Some very interesting shots - especially the ones taken low down looking upwards - and not at all what I would expect to find in Poland (my ignorance). Are these limestone formations Stanis?

Richard
Blow-in
Site Supporter

Postby riccadonna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:39 am

Richard, for the most they are sandstone, some 30 milions year old, some other kinds too. Whole southern border of Poland is mountainous. Starting with Sudets in the west, the the highest part (not so awfully high some 2600m) then the Carpatians. Low down upwards were the only way to get the view some places I wished to have the widest possible. Stanislaw
riccadonna

Postby Wiener » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:57 pm

What a magic place...are these sandstone formations, Stanislaw? I wonder what their history is...a long one, most likely!
Andy
Wiener
Site Supporter

Location: Vienna, or Scotland, or anywhere around about, or in between...

Postby riccadonna » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:06 pm

Andy. The formations are not that old, some 100 to 30 milion years old. The are formed in the period called Late Cretaceous. The earth crust pushed the sandstone layers up and mother nature did the rest. It is not only some spectacular forms of individual rocks that of course main attraction, the formations create some veritable labirynts with some passages only a foot wide. I got of the marked pathe in one place and ventured inside only to discover that after few minutes I was having the feeling of getting lost. Only a video with some trollcreepy sound would give you an impression of the place. Stanislaw
riccadonna

Previous

Return to Ricoh GR