What level of in-camera sharpness?

Discussion about Ricoh GR

What level of in-camera sharpness?

Postby george c » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:24 pm

Hi Folks,

The short version of a long story.

My GR arrives in a few days. And, frankly, I'm not "real good" with all of the controls and settings. I do almost no PP....well, crop, and a little contrast and light and that's about it. Is there a consensus of what the in-camera sharpness setting should be? I'll be using JPEGs only.

Ironically, I've been using these cameras since the film version. And, no matter what other cameras I buy I keep coming back to the GRs......

Any hints or suggestions will be well received.

Thanks, and anxiously awaiting my camera.....

Regards,

George
george c
Site Supporter

Re: What level of in-camera sharpness?

Postby quester » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:04 pm

Hello George - I am a new user of the GR as well. The camera comes with 9 possible levels of sharpness that can be set in camera (1-9, with 5 being the default). I can only say that I leave it on 5, as the pics are nicely sharp without having to increase this, and in my opinion, over-sharpening does not always serve a photo well, especially with a camera as good as the GR.

The setting is very easy to change in the menu - the best thing would be for you to experiment with the different levels yourself, and see what suits you.

Sharpening with the attached Silkypix software (RAW converter) is also easy - but again, not usually necessary, unless you're looking for what might be a slightly unreal rendition.
quester
Site Supporter

Postby Iansky » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:24 pm

I have to admit that I only shoot Raw with all my digital cameras, I find it gives me far more options for editing and allows me to get better dynamic range in finished images.
The Ricoh GR is deceptive in that it looks like a small inconspicuous camera but it does deliver stunning images.

If you are happy to spend some time editing and want to get the best from the sensor then Raw is the way to go.

Good luck and enjoy your new "Pocket Rocket".
Iansky

Postby george c » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:22 am

Hi Folks,

Appreciate greatly your comments. Quester, I think I'll stick with the default and see how it goes. Thank you.

Iansky, thank you for your comment. Frankly, I don't think I have the patience or skill for much PP... But, I do appreciate your suggestion and maybe I'll try RAW.

I have a bunch of blogs and just started another. Yes, threw this together tonight. I hope I will get out and use this camera. Most of my projects are short-lived!!!!

http://asnapadayonthestreets.blogspot.com/

Thanks again, folks.

Best regards,

George

BTW... FWIW, I have the film camera, 1, 2, 4, and the GRII is arriving two days.
george c
Site Supporter

Postby Blow-in » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:33 pm

Hi George and welcome to the forum. I'm still using the GRD4 so can't comment specifically on your question but I do share the same reluctance to process RAW so I think I understand where you are coming from. Anyway, I took a look at your blog and liked what I saw.

Richard
Blow-in
Site Supporter

Return to Ricoh GR