good to be back, and with a GR

Discussion about Ricoh GR

good to be back, and with a GR

Postby quester » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi to everyone, sorry not to have posted for a few months - not only did I not have a camera, things have been a bit topsy-turvy around here. Some of you might recall that I was planning to be in Italy this month, and I had started to check how I could have a GR waiting for me there. Well, we had to cancel the trip - actually, because of good circumstances, nothing bad - and we hope to try again next year.

After the cancellation, I thought that I'd have to continue staring at my broken PX for an indefinite period. But while the Lady of Luck seemed to have vanished, the Count of Coincidence suddenly appeared : a friend from the States said he was coming over and asked if he could bring me something. It took me another couple of hours to erase the final doubts in my mind (buy the GR or wait for a new model?), and I ordered the bundle from B&H with the optical viewfinder. It finally reached me about a month ago. Now that the new GR has been announced, I'm glad I made the purchase - as we can all see that the new model is not bringing any significant improvement.

It's taken me awhile to get used to the upgrade, coming from the PX - the shallower depth of field, no image stabilization, learning the menu and the options, having to take heed not to expose the camera too much to the (dusty) elements. But of course the advantages of the image quality and manual options (and the use of RAW processing, which I'm just starting to explore), are making this experience fun. I'll probably have more to say as I take more shots.

So here are some of the better first attempts. Much of the same subject matter as in the past, hope to try new things as time allows...

BTW, the last one is a photo of something that Ricoh is giving away for free as a bonus, while the supply lasts.... ;) Hope you are all well!

R0000254.jpg
R0000254.jpg (149.58 KiB) Viewed 1601 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:51 am
Focus length: 18.3 mm
Shutter speed: 1/125 Sec
F-number: F/8
ISO speed rating: 200
Whitebalance: Auto
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Camera-model: GR
Exposure program: Aperture priority
Exposure bias: -10/10 EV
Metering mode: Pattern

r268.jpg
r268.jpg (155.87 KiB) Viewed 1602 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:58 pm
Shutter speed: 1/100 Sec
F-number: F/2.8
ISO speed rating: 500
Exposure program: Shutter priority
Exposure bias: -7/10 EV

R334.jpg
R334.jpg (109.21 KiB) Viewed 1596 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:58 am
Shutter speed: 1/60 Sec
F-number: F/9
ISO speed rating: 100
Exposure bias: -17/10 EV

r272.jpg
r272.jpg (124.32 KiB) Viewed 1600 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:47 pm
Shutter speed: 1/800 Sec
F-number: F/4
Exposure program: Normal program
Exposure bias: -13/10 EV

r289.jpg
r289.jpg (94.1 KiB) Viewed 1584 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:05 am
Shutter speed: 1/60 Sec
F-number: F/8
Exposure bias: -13/10 EV

r301.jpg
r301.jpg (326.02 KiB) Viewed 1584 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:49 pm
Shutter speed: 1/40 Sec
F-number: F/16
ISO speed rating: 200
Exposure bias: -7/10 EV

R0000037.JPG
R0000037.JPG (154.02 KiB) Viewed 1597 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Tue May 26, 2015 1:00 pm
Shutter speed: 1/125 Sec
F-number: F/4
ISO speed rating: 2000
Exposure program: Not defined
Exposure bias: -3/10 EV

you can't have everything....jpg
you can't have everything....jpg (160.24 KiB) Viewed 1605 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Sat May 30, 2015 4:47 pm
Shutter speed: 1/80 Sec
F-number: F/16
Exposure bias: -3/10 EV
quester
Site Supporter

Re: good to be back, and with a GR

Postby Ripbab » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:10 pm

Did you get your free gift with the camera or did it turn up after a week like mine ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ripbab

Postby quester » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:43 pm

Ripbab wrote:Did you get your free gift with the camera or did it turn up after a week like mine ?

I got it with the camera - it was one of the first shots I took, as of course I had read all the complaints.

These last two weeks I have gathered the courage to take the camera to work, keeping it mostly covered - as I am surrounded by dust during work hours. A few days ago I took another sky shot to see if the camera has been "sucking" in dust - but no, there is only that one impurity that came with the camera.

My PX lasted four years in these conditions - I am hoping to get two years out of the GR. Maybe the next model, in another two years (?) will have better sealing. By then I hope that Ricoh or someone else will put out a serious compact with large sensor and full environmental sealing - something that does not exist yet on the market, and a pity it doesn't.

It's not worth the bother for me to send it for cleaning, even if it's under warranty - it was a gamble I took, so we'll see....
quester
Site Supporter

Postby Ripbab » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:48 pm

I have the adaptor and hood fitted all the time. I realise that alone won't stop dust. But every time I put the camera down I stand it on the hood , and always make sure I'm not to gentle doing it. I believe this action actually knocked my offending dust speck off. Don't know exactly when it went, but it's gone now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ripbab

Postby quester » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:27 am

Ripbab wrote:I have the adaptor and hood fitted all the time.

I am also considering getting the 49 mm. adapter and a clear or UV filter to have on at all times. In the meantime I am enjoying the compactness.
quester
Site Supporter

Postby Blow-in » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:22 am

quester,

Great to have you back and posting with your new toy - I was wondering. That 'Lady Luck/Countess of Coincidence' comment made me laugh so thank you for that. I enjoyed (nearly) all your shots. it took a moment for the peny to drop with the last one - I thought that Ricoh had sent you a kite! (I'm just one my first coffee today so things a slower than usual). Some lovely colours in those shots which seems to be a GR signature. The adapter/filter seems like a good idea to me in your environment although it does add bulk.

Richard
Blow-in
Site Supporter

Postby Orol » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:50 am

Welcome back posting pictures here quester. I like most the orchard photo (r301) with sun almost overhead. The dust speck really is a bad luck. Maybe it will go one day during carrying the camera around or maybe you might try some vacuum cleaner trick to get rid of it. Also shallow depth of field makes its advantages in such a case helping to conceal the spot not to mention blue sky retouching is not that hard either :).

Peter
Orol

Postby quester » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:51 pm

Thanks Richard and Peter.
I'm being realistic about the the dust issue - it's going to be a problem here, and I will have to look out. No keeping the camera in my pocket anymore.
The six months respite without a camera was literally "eye-opening" - I stopped looking at everything in terms of a 4:3 ratio ( ;) ) - but the wait was long enough, and the opportunity presented itself. So a less-than-perfect GR it is...
quester
Site Supporter

Return to Ricoh GR