Ricoh GR built-in ND filter combined with external B+W 64x

Discussion about Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR built-in ND filter combined with external B+W 64x

Postby Anio » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:18 pm

Hello,

I'm thinking to buy 6 f-stop 64x ND B+W filter for some landscape pictures as I find the built-in 2 f-stop ND filter not enough.
Do you think I can combine both of them without much loss of IQ in order to achieve 8 f-stop ?
Have someboly played with screw-in ND filters on Ricoh GR?
I'm asking because B+W filter(s) is quite an investment for me.

Thank you
Anio

Re: Ricoh GR built-in ND filter combined with external B+W 64x

Postby thelps » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:17 am

Interesting question. I was thinking of getting a variable one.
I can only imagine putting anything in front of the lens reduces IQ but its likely minimal.

I see Fotga have a cheap one from ND2-ND400 but like you worry about IQ.
Are the fixed ND better quality over variable?
Is the BW worth the extra cost?
Tim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

| Ricoh GRD I Limited | Ricoh GRD II | Ricoh GRD III | Ricoh GRD IV | Ricoh GR | and some inspiration
thelps
Site Supporter

Postby Anio » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:15 am

I don't know if your questions were towards me but I'll share what I know.
Are the fixed ND better quality over variable?

Definitely the fixed ones have less IQ loss than variable ones ( less vignetting, less flare, less sharpness loss ) Only variable ones costing above 300 $ are getting closer to the fixed ones.

Is the BW worth the extra cost?

Well depends. There is Haida ND filters which are going for the less of half the price and are almost as good. There is much written for them on the Internet ( tests, comparative reviews etc). Here is comparison between them http://text.flowtographyberlin.de/neutral-density-filters-are-haida-nd-filters-as-good-as-bw/

But B+W are standard for the ND filters.

For me it would be complete waste of money to put something cheaper than Haida on the premium sharp optics of the Ricoh.
Anio

Postby riccadonna » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:27 am

One more thing about strong ND filters. Most of them, if not specified, show an IR contamination combined with long exposures.
riccadonna

Postby thelps » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:46 pm

The application I have will be mainly for B/W images. Knowing this now I hope I can maybe tweak some of this out.

riccadonna wrote:One more thing about strong ND filters. Most of them, if not specified, show an IR contamination combined with long exposures.

I am reading the review link you posted with interest.
I think you have convinced me to go non-variable.
I feel if its occasional use the Haida may be the go, but if for many many images I would go the B+W.
My reasoning is the time cost and fuel expense to get to locations the difference in cost of the filter brands is minimal.
Over many images the cost per image will diminish. You may as well have the best. - but this is easy for me to say if I am not paying for it. ;)

Anio wrote:I don't know if your questions were towards me but I'll share what I know.
Here is comparison between them http://text.flowtographyberlin.de/neutral-density-filters-are-haida-nd-filters-as-good-as-bw/

But B+W are standard for the ND filters.

For me it would be complete waste of money to put something cheaper than Haida on the premium sharp optics of the Ricoh.
Tim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

| Ricoh GRD I Limited | Ricoh GRD II | Ricoh GRD III | Ricoh GRD IV | Ricoh GR | and some inspiration
thelps
Site Supporter

Postby 33dollars » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:36 pm

I've tried the fixed 10ND & the variable one.
The cheap fixed 10ND is bettera than a polarized variable because apposing polarizing filters just don't work out on wide lenses.
Variable is blotchy. But the cheap fixed 10stop ND gave much bettera results.
Attachments
[000260].jpg
(96 KiB) Downloaded 475 times
33dollars
Site Supporter

Return to Ricoh GR