New Ricoh GR in 2015?

Discussion about Ricoh GR

Re: New Ricoh GR in 2015?

Postby dennisonb » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Just a little feedback- I made the leap and bought the GR. The AF isn't awesome, it's true. But otherwise I'm estatic. The images are fantastic and it handles like a dream. I can't wait to sit down and really customize the buttons. I upgraded to the 4.0 firmware, although autofocus is still not awesome, but the full-snap is a great feature.

All in all, I'm super satisfied and wouldn't recommend waiting for a new version. There's just too many great shots you can get between now and then.
dennisonb

Postby andreaplanet » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:30 pm

you have to set High AF to get the faster AF. Only drawback is that LCD isn't updated that fast while focusing but i dont care.
andreaplanet
Site Supporter

Postby Iansky » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:25 am

I am more than happy with my GR, the results are superb and like all the other Ricoh's I have owned from the G1 through to this they are all pocket sized so easy to always have with me.

I am more than happy with the AF and not being lightning fast means I have to plan my photos with more care and thought.

I have not experienced issues with low light focus and am very pleased with the results (see some recent night shots below); I do have a dust spot that is constant and I have to remove during processing but with a retracting lens there is always a risk of dust being sucked in.

It is a great "bang for the buck" camera and it is hard to find a competitor for size/performance (except maybe the Nikon A that is slower to focus and was much more expensive at launch).
Attachments
The spinning wheel.jpg
(257.81 KiB) Downloaded 3949 times
Along the shore.jpg
(275.41 KiB) Downloaded 3919 times
The Beach hut.jpg
(213.5 KiB) Downloaded 3912 times
Street Panorama.jpg
(219.52 KiB) Downloaded 3920 times
Iansky

Postby nebus » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:07 pm

so some fresh rumours about Ricoh Pentax and the future of the GR > http://photorumors.com/2015/02/05/rumors-of-a-ricoh-gr-camera-replacement/

Not sure what to believe about this as it doesn't follow the GR design paradigm but anything's possible with these changing times.
nebus

Postby thelps » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:33 am

here is the rumour

1 The new camera may have a completely different name
2 Upgraded sensor, but still APS-C
3 Redesigned lens with better focusing
4 Touch screen
5 Wi-Fi
7 New grip design

The name I don't care too much about. Maybe we don't want it called "The SnapClick 2000"
APS-C still is fine by me, a FF has its own design constraints, one being price.
Better lens, better focus, yes please, why not.
Touch screen, fine so long as it can be turned off
WiFi, yep, will be good if allows teathering
New grip... so long as its good. No Sigma Quattro like design please.
Tim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

| Ricoh GRD I Limited | Ricoh GRD II | Ricoh GRD III | Ricoh GRD IV | Ricoh GR | and some inspiration
thelps
Site Supporter

Postby mobster21 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:54 am

Any news?
mobster21

Postby Chrisnmn » Wed May 13, 2015 11:48 am

I guess my wishlist for a 'new' GR would be:

Keep it exactly as is. same size, handling, layout, etc... BUT

• Add a little optical viewfinder, dont need the evf that would increase the size of the camera.
• keep the same 28mm lens but make it f2
• Im not into the megapixel race (and I think the sensor on the current GR is stunning) but I would see the benefit of a 24 megapixel sensor not just to get a 24mb 28mm file but to have the ability to have a 16 megapixels 35mm lens when using the crop mode!
• as an accessory hopefully you will do a 'tele' option to make the lens into a 40/50mm like you had on previous GRD's

that would give us 3 cameras in one! at 28/35 and 40/50ishmm!

That for me, would be my perfect camera of all times. :ugeek: c'mon Ricoh! at least tell us you guys are alive!!

oh and please please pretty please do not add any 'toy' / 'panorama' / 'tilt shift' filters or touchy screens that only increase the size of the camera... actually you can get rid of the video option as well while you are it. This is a photo camera not a hybrid/video whatever.
Chrisnmn

Postby maccaco » Thu May 21, 2015 6:22 pm

Chrisnmn wrote:I guess my wishlist for a 'new' GR would be:

Keep it exactly as is. same size, handling, layout, etc... BUT

• Add a little optical viewfinder, dont need the evf that would increase the size of the camera.
• keep the same 28mm lens but make it f2
• Im not into the megapixel race (and I think the sensor on the current GR is stunning) but I would see the benefit of a 24 megapixel sensor not just to get a 24mb 28mm file but to have the ability to have a 16 megapixels 35mm lens when using the crop mode!
• as an accessory hopefully you will do a 'tele' option to make the lens into a 40/50mm like you had on previous GRD's

that would give us 3 cameras in one! at 28/35 and 40/50ishmm!

That for me, would be my perfect camera of all times. :ugeek: c'mon Ricoh! at least tell us you guys are alive!!

oh and please please pretty please do not add any 'toy' / 'panorama' / 'tilt shift' filters or touchy screens that only increase the size of the camera... actually you can get rid of the video option as well while you are it. This is a photo camera not a hybrid/video whatever.

+1000
William Eggleston:
"A picture is what it is"

http://davidmartinez.esy.es
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leirrill
maccaco

Postby MarkM » Tue May 26, 2015 2:04 pm

There are now some rumours floating around about a GR II (e.g. digicame).

On the hardware front, the only improvement I would really like to see over the existing GR would be to fix the dust problem - after heavy use mine is gradually accumulating more debris (it is probably time to dismantle it and clean the sensor...). Would be nice to see a fix for the auto-ISO limit in TAv mode, preferably on the original GR as well...
MarkM

Postby sergiozh » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:32 pm

the new GR could have the same lens and sensor as the GR but have stabilisation of the sensor exactly how it was between GRD III and GRD IV. easy or not ?
sergiozh

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh GR