Fujifilm TCL-X100 Telephoto Converter

Discussion about Ricoh GR

Fujifilm TCL-X100 Telephoto Converter

Postby rondo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:00 pm

What do you think? Could this be made to work with the GR?
rondo

Re: Fujifilm TCL-X100 Telephoto Converter

Postby thereluctantgardener » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:46 am

Short answer: yes, with the GH-3.

Longer answer: Fuji state that the X100 needs a firmware update to mitigate CA, clearly not an option mounting this on a GR; all such converters result in a drop in image quality, usually less so when added to the lens they're designed for (ie the X100s here); the effect on the GR lens mechanism of adding this heavy attachment to it is unknown and not something I'd risk myself.

Although I've got a couple of other Ricoh's I've managed to resist buying a GR as I'm waiting (in vain?) for them to bring out a 40mm equiv. model. Which would of course remove the need for a 1.4 converter.

HTH,

MO
thereluctantgardener

Postby rondo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:47 am

Hi again, now that the fuji tele converter is out: I wonder if there are any gr owners who also own one, and have any of you guys tried to use it with the gr? No one?
rondo

Postby rondo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:32 pm

rondo

Postby rondo » Mon May 04, 2015 4:59 pm

rondo

Postby rondo » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:44 am

Hello everyone...probably most (if not all) of you who visit here, visit the dpreview as well, but I thought I would post this here too:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55926904
I finally did it, and love the results.
rondo

Postby riccadonna » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:49 pm

You want to see a really perfect 40mm camera? Have a look at Rollei 35 S. Personally, although I do admire your courage and skill at adapting Tele-converter, I think it optically and handling wise counterproductive idea. For one, both Fuji and Ricoh screwed up the very idea of attaching converters to the body. They should be, of course, bayonet mounted. Lot of lenses have bayonet filter system f.x. As to cameras I remember Contaflex and Rollei 16 with their Mutars. Bit more expensive but far more convenient and fast. The idea of screwing on and off the converters when you see different motives is utterly ridiculous. O.k. one can bayonet GW-3 with GH-3 attached to it but then such combo is not so pocketable and beside it, in unfriendly environment I do use GR with GH-3 and filter. It would be MUCH easier, just to unbayonet the filter and bayonet GW-3 on. As I once said Ricoh should come with GR 50mm (eq) retractable lens, in a say half inch thicker body and a portrait converter ca 75-80mm (eq) which would make much more sense in such case.

riccadonna

Postby rondo » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:30 pm

Thanks for your thoughts! I'll have to disagree with you :)
the GH-3 adapter ring is essentially the bayonet that you are looking for...the GR is an extremely versatile camera. One one hand you can slide it in your pocket (althought I don't) on the other, you can also expand it with the converter lens(es) and turn it into a system camera. I am not here to "advocate" my own intervention- not at all..neither am I interested in proving the optical performance, which turned out to be way much better than I thought. As I said, forget about the Fuji on the GR.
Have a look at the GW-3- the 21 mm lens, a dedicated OEM extension for the GR. The optical quality is simply superb. I have read people comparing it to Leica 21. I don't have the Leica, but I have the Ricoh 21 extension, and I simply love it! (and it is **smaller** than any other interchangable camera with a 21 mm lens and a comparative sensor size)
What is it that you find objectable about an add on lens that performs well? It doesn't take anything away from the GR as a pocketable camera, if you still want to use it as such. But if you want the added versatility, it is there for you!
I consider the 40 mm addition in the same league.
As I said, Ricoh should introduce an OEM 40 extension. If I can do it, they sure can!
I think GR as an expandible sytem camera is all I need.
Of course, you've got also the Sigma DP way, which I don't particularly like: carry three or four cameras!
Or the interchangable system cameras: None of them can get as small as GR, when you want to use them as such.
In ideal world, this is what I would love to see from Ricoh: Introduce different focal length GRs, just like Sigma...But have converter lenses that expand them. Pick the GR that fits you best: e.g I would get the 40. Then I would add a wide and tele to it, and I would cover 24 and 50 too, for example...Somone else can go with 28, and use the converter lenses to cover 21 and 40...
Of course, if you are a 40 mm guy, and all you want to use is the 40 and nothing else, a 28 mm GR with an add on is counter-productive. I agree with you on that one! No questions there...
rondo

Postby riccadonna » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:13 pm

Agreed, agreed, rondo. GW-3 is a wonderful piece of glass, at f:5,6 is said to be very good. As to comparison with with Leica 21, well, well-perhaps Summilux 21/1.4 at f:1.4 otherwise ;). Stil, to get 21mm FOV on APS-C would take FF 14mm and here I agree: Nikon, Canon and Tamron 14/2.8 would not be better then GR . . I`m sure if Ricoh came up with APS-C GR 21 (FF eq) it would be smashing and coming close to Leica FF 21. As to compactness, I have memorable GXR m-module with Heliar VC 15/4.5. It´s not bigger then GR with GW-3. O.k. it`s only f:4.5 no AF and only 22,5mm (FF eq). I know a guy that has GW-3 and perhaps one day I can make an optical shoot out.
40mm is bit close to 28mm to my taste. I still think that two cameras combo, one with 28mm another 50mm is the fastest practical option. Personally I use both, GR for wide and GXR-m with Rokkor 40/2 or GXR 50 macro for normal.
riccadonna

Return to Ricoh GR