New Ricoh GR firmware (3.0)

Discussion about Ricoh GR

Re: New Ricoh GR firmware (3.0)

Postby Tom Caldwell » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:09 am

There was much said about the TAv "problem". The manual says on the infamous and thoroughly read page 42 that "The ISO speed will be locked to [AUTO] in TAv mode". When of course it is not locked at all and can only be limied to ISO 8000 by a work around. But when Ricoh was reliably contacted about the issue they responded by saying that there was no problem with the firmware and that the manual was in error. So while we have talked about it maybe no one else has made comment to Ricoh on the emperors suit of clothes?

I have thought that perhaps there is a mistake in the telling and the translation. Perhaps what has happened is that the mistake was that the manual should have said "locked to [AUTO-HI]" and that Ricoh looked no further and did not realise that the firmware did not do this but simply responded that there was an error in the manual which might well be true. On the other hand the general body of Ricoh users have shut down talking to Ricoh about it as they have accepted the response that the firmware is working correctly - as we all seem to accept - the firmware is not behaving very well at all and has run-away ISO in TAv.

It is not really bothering me. I don't generally use TAv and am too lazy to put a precise reasoned and to the point question to Ricoh to try and winkle out if they really truly see any merit in their TAv mode working this way. Especially after they have put a neat function whereby the user can choose the camera to auto-adjust either shutter speed or aperture once it hits its 25600 ISO limit (as if this were practical). The current situation simply does not make sense and maybe it is simply because users think that Ricoh did in fact want this nonsensical situation to exist.

Obviously if Auto-hi were the settable limit by the user in TAv mode than everyone would be happy. Certainly Auto would be too restrictive as much as 25600 is ridiculous. We have now had two firmware upgrades without addresing the problem - it could not be more than about 2 or 3 lines of code. Someone who seriously needs a workable TAv mode needs to wise Ricoh up on this. Preferrably a few so that maybe a bell will tinkle.

Meanwhile a small firmware upgrade billed version 3.0 is peculiar. Another post on the forum suggesting one GR vendor in Hong Kong is posting "discontinued" on the face of it is nothing much. Neither is a slab of A12/28 modules, A16/Zoom kits and a few GXR/M kits being sold off at a sudden and major discount.

But something is afoot (2+2+10 sometimes ends up being 24 when you find the rest somewhere lying around the floor). Often Ricoh gives one last firmware upgrade on the point of discontinuing a model, but the GR? Seems a stretch of crediblity ....

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby Tom Caldwell » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:12 am

Tom Caldwell wrote:There was much said about the TAv "problem". The manual says on the infamous and thoroughly read page 42 that "The ISO speed will be locked to [AUTO] in TAv mode". When of course it is not locked at all and can only be limied to ISO 8000 by a work around. But when Ricoh was reliably contacted about the issue they responded by saying that there was no problem with the firmware and that the manual was in error. So while we have talked about it maybe no one else has made comment to Ricoh on the emperors suit of clothes?

I have thought that perhaps there is a mistake in the telling and the translation. Perhaps what has happened is that the mistake was that the manual should have said "locked to [AUTO-HI]" and that Ricoh looked no further and did not realise that the firmware did not do this but simply responded that there was an error in the manual which might well be true. On the other hand the general body of Ricoh users have shut down talking to Ricoh about it as they have accepted the response that the firmware is working correctly - as we all seem to accept - the firmware is not behaving very well at all and has run-away ISO in TAv.

It is not really bothering me. I don't generally use TAv and am too lazy to put a precise reasoned and to the point question to Ricoh to try and winkle out if they really truly see any merit in their TAv mode working this way. Especially after they have put a neat function whereby the user can choose the camera to auto-adjust either shutter speed or aperture once it hits its 25600 ISO limit (as if this were practical). The current situation simply does not make sense and maybe it is simply because users think that Ricoh did in fact want this nonsensical situation to exist.

Obviously if Auto-hi were the settable limit by the user in TAv mode than everyone would be happy. Certainly Auto would be too restrictive as much as 25600 is ridiculous. We have now had two firmware upgrades without addressing the problem - it could not be more than about 2 or 3 lines of code. Someone who seriously needs a workable TAv mode needs to wise Ricoh up on this. Preferrably a few so that maybe a little bell will tinkle.

Meanwhile a small firmware upgrade billed version 3.0 is peculiar. Another post on the forum suggesting one GR vendor in Hong Kong is posting "discontinued" on the face of it is nothing much. Neither is a slab of A12/28 modules, A16/Zoom kits and a few GXR/M kits being sold off at a sudden and major discount.

But something is afoot (2+2+10 sometimes ends up being 24 when you find the rest somewhere lying around the floor). Often Ricoh gives one last firmware upgrade on the point of discontinuing a model, but the GR? Seems a stretch of crediblity ....

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby sashbar » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:18 pm

I have bought my GR recently, it has 2.03 version. I have checked what they have added on 3.0 and it did not interest me.
Should I upgrade to 3.0 anyway?
What I think is - there could be some other small improvements they did not mention, on the other hand, there is a small chance something will go wrong in the process of the upgrade...
So, shall I fix what is working or just ignore the latest version?
Thanks.
sashbar

Postby Tom Caldwell » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:03 am

No need to upgrade if there is nothing that is needed. Every firmware upgrade includes all the previous ones so nothing is lost by skipping an upgrade. It is just good housekeeping to stay up to date, but not being up to date is not to lose any enjoyment of use.

I simply wish that Ricoh woould fix the most obvious bug: the runaway ISO level in TAv setting. It needs to be associated with a user-set and therefore upper-limited Auto-hi level.

TomC
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby Denis99 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:03 pm

Hi,

I have just bought the GR Digital and have tried a number of times to install the update.

When I press to confirm the current software status the camera will not let me install the update on the formatted sd card.

I'm using a Mac, but can't be the problem.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

Denis
Regards

Denis
Denis99

Postby Tom Caldwell » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:15 pm

Don't know Denis, the instructions on the Ricoh site should be printed out and followed precisely. I have had no trouble over the years but I have found that I have needed to re-read the instructions every time. It is simpler now with the GR. The mac update is different from the windows version (I think - as I am a windows user) also the applicable files need to be in the root directory of the sd card. Formatting the card is a sensible safeguard but I don't think it is absolutely necessary.

TomC
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby Denis99 » Thu May 01, 2014 12:15 pm

Thanks for advice Tom.

Decided to try the download with my daughters Windows laptop.

Worked fine, just about to explore the settings and manual for an hour or so.

I'll post some images soon, primarily bought so that I can take with me on my motorcycle rides.

Regards

Denis
Regards

Denis
Denis99

Postby Tom Caldwell » Thu May 01, 2014 12:55 pm

You will enjoy it Denis, guaranteed.

I used to live in Swansea many a long year ago.

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Re: New Ricoh GR firmware (4.0)

Postby Nevin » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:34 am

The forum is probably not as active as before? Maybe someone can put up the global announcement for the firmware 4.0, which was released quite some months ago?

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/ ... /gr_s.html ;)
Nevin

Re: New Ricoh GR firmware (4.0)

Postby Tom Caldwell » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:38 pm

Nevin wrote:The forum is probably not as active as before? Maybe someone can put up the global announcement for the firmware 4.0, which was released quite some months ago?

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/ ... /gr_s.html ;)

Version 4.0!

I am still on version 2.30 (on checking) - thanks.

A whole "new camera" exprience for the sake of a download.

In contrast Panasonic has just released the GM5 which is very similar to the GM1 but has an evf. Fair enough. But the cameras share a basic concept, sensor, etc. The GM5 has some extra goodies - for example "Panorama Mode" and others - should be a synch to provide what is capable of being used on the GM1 by a firmware update .... hello .... hello ... Mr Panasonic - are you awake? The silence is deafening.

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh GR