The next Ricoh GR

Discussion about Ricoh GR

The next Ricoh GR

Postby thelps » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:03 am

I’d like to say from the outset that I am in NO way starting a rumor about a full frame GR. I don't know if Ricoh have one planned or not; Just like Sgt Schultz “I know nothing”. I’d just like to start a discussion about possibilities of the next GR in the series and what you’d like to see -

The GR has been with us for a while now and I love it. I still find the GR is my primary go-to camera. Its APS-C sensor yields a sharp, nicely detailed image that is probably enough for my general print sizes - the GR is the best replacement for a film GR1v. Sometimes the GRD IV struggled a bit with Dynamic Range or detail in the harsh light here in Australia and the RAW was called upon, the GR is certainly a welcome improvement in all these areas.

The GR is the culmination of a camera we had been waiting for and I question “do we need more”, but I still would like to ask where to from here for Ricoh and the GR? What will Ricoh call a GR successor? The GR II perhaps? Will this differentiate from the old "GR Digital 2"?

I have been thinking about the GR successor because I've observed a general move in the marketplace to full frame. Firstly the Sony RX1 then the Sony A7 followed by the Nikon Df and even some rumors of a Pentax LX Digital. Will Ricoh move to a full frame for what I will call the GR II?

Some considerations - Will you be happy to accept a likely increase in camera body size or loss of max aperture - I suspect the lens designers may struggle to make a compact lens like the GR has to cover the full frame area, so something may have to give, like max aperture. The dimensions of the current GR is about the same as the GR1v. Note that the Sony RX1 with its F2 lens is not exactly compact. A full frame sensor is a different beast and behaves differently, with less depth of field compared to the APS-C GR which in turn has less than the small GRD IV sensor. Street photographers likely will find a full frame GR II somewhat different to work with.

Price - The full frame sensor will cost more to make, but increased sales tend to bring prices down. Nonetheless, will you be prepared to pay even more for a full frame GR II, I will.

My thoughts. I would like to see a FF GR II but again so long as the size is not compromised too much - however I will not be disappointed to see an upgraded APS-C version either. I'd rather lose aperture on the lens than physical camera size. I would also like to see a native 21mm full frame version :geek: and maybe a pure B/W version :ugeek:

Your thoughts? :?:
Tim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

| Ricoh GRD I Limited | Ricoh GRD II | Ricoh GRD III | Ricoh GRD IV | Ricoh GR | and some inspiration
thelps
Site Supporter

Re: The next Ricoh GR

Postby MikePenn » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:20 am

I would not if the physical camera size was any larger.
I would not if increase in aperture.

Only a pure B&W GR would make me take money out of my pocket for a new GR.
MikePenn

Postby HawkeyX » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:08 am

It'l be interesting to see where they head - albeit still around a year and a half away if we go by previous release schedules.
I dont think they can keep the GR spirit if they increase the size much more, and think currently they are pushing the limits with what they have considering the optical difficulties. But,who knows what time will bring.
Although price would go up, the more full frame we see on the market, the more competitive the pricing may become also.
MikeHawkey.Com
HawkeyX

Postby Blow-in » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:00 pm

I think the essence of the GR/GRD etc is the portability & pocketability of the camera combined with excellent lenses and great handling. I wouldn't want to see the camera grow in size. Also for me the full frame format only really makes sense if you have some full frame lenses. The IQ of the GR is more surely than most of us need? If Ricoh wants to follow the FF fashion a FF module to take Pentax lenses for the GXR would have me saving for it...sadly that seems like a pipe dream.

Richard
Blow-in
Site Supporter

Postby andrewteee » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:54 pm

No! I like the DoF control the APS sensor provides in the context of the GR 28mm focal length. APS is just right. And the GR is already such an amazing camera, probably the best camera I've ever owned.
andrewteee

Postby blue_quartz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:58 pm

I might have mentioned this somewhere before...

1) On-sensor phase detection: hopefully the technology to do this will mature to Ricoh's liking in two years, when the successor should be out...
2) Touchscreen, not to totally replace the awesome hardware controls on the body, but to assist it for features like focus selection and image playback.
3) EVF connector? I figured making an EVF connector will take up less space than trying to make the screen tilt-able.
Last edited by blue_quartz on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
blue_quartz

Re: AW: The next Ricoh GR

Postby planet360 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:40 pm

A Ricoh GRF Version with the gorgeous foveon sensor!
The speed of Ricoh paird with image quality of pentax. The best of both worlds!
planet360

Postby thelps » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:14 pm

andrewteee wrote:No! I like the DoF control the APS sensor provides in the context of the GR 28mm focal length. APS is just right. And the GR is already such an amazing camera, probably the best camera I've ever owned.

Good point. I think this is a pretty important consideration. With a 35mm FF camera this changes and would be a dramatic change on a GR II.
Some already had to adapt from the GRD IV to the GR.
Tim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

| Ricoh GRD I Limited | Ricoh GRD II | Ricoh GRD III | Ricoh GRD IV | Ricoh GR | and some inspiration
thelps
Site Supporter

Re: AW: The next Ricoh GR

Postby thelps » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:16 pm

planet360 wrote:A Ricoh GRF Version with the gorgeous foveon sensor!
The speed of Ricoh paird with image quality of pentax. The best of both worlds!

ahh, yes. Nice idea, but The main downside would be the loss of high ISQ. The Foveon is not great for high ISO (unless you stick to BW).
Tim

thelps
Site Supporter

Postby quester » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:30 am

Haven't got my GR yet, but I'd wait even longer if they'd announce that they're making an environmentally sealed version. Sorry to state this again, but I'd really like to see a manufacturer put out a serious WR compact with APS-C sensor, and the combined Ricoh/Pentax experience with weather-sealed cameras should make Ricoh Imaging the natural candidate. The ultimate backpacker's camera, and good for urban shooting in the rain.
quester
Site Supporter

Next

Return to Ricoh GR