New GR firmware 2.03 available for download

Discussion about Ricoh GR

Re: New GR firmware 2.03 available for download

Postby Ray Rainbird » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:47 pm

odklizec thanks for file did the trick have updated camera thanks again.
Ray Rainbird

Re: Ricoh GR + GT1 - useful or not?

Postby odklizec » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Nice to hear that! So it was indeed the unzipping problem. Enjoy your updated GR! ;)
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby blue_quartz » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:33 pm

paulyrichard wrote:Hey blue quartz, I plan on picking a copy up of DXO's Optics Pro, and I plan on buying DXO viewpoint too.
Any of your experience and knowledge on how good this software is would be appreciated...Regards.

Before the firmware update, Optics Pro did a nice job of basic lens correction for the photos and by default, tweaks the exposure a little too. You can of course customize the settings (standard stuff e.g. changing WB, selecting a film preset, contrast) to your liking and save them as presets. I like the one-shot HDR conversions, because it is really simple (three presets to choose from) and it really showcases how much more details you can extract from the DNGs. Personally, I prefer organizing my photos manually in Windows Explorer, and thus I'm fine with the basic file organization in Optics Pro. I don't have Lightroom experience, so I can't compare the pros and cons of each unfortunately.
blue_quartz

Postby reeluff » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:44 am

Thanks Pavel,
I was trying to figure out how to set "my" max aperture. It makes sense now. I do not use P mode, but was interested to know how the new function worked.

Hi,

I just tried it and I think it works like that. Once you set the [P Mode Selection] with the Maximum Aperture Priority, the camera in P mode (or M mode with selected Program mode) selects maximum possible aperture (lowest aperture number). It may be good in cases you prefer to maintain lowest F number to be used before anything else. Hope this helps?[/quote]
reeluff

Postby hungry.ant » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:31 pm

odklizec wrote: I don't think there is something to fix with GR low light AF. GR AF is tricky because of much larger sensor and so smaller DoF. In other words, it's much harder to nail the focus with APSC than with 1/1.7" sensor.

Yes, yes - but it isn't amateurs camera for 100 USD, but high-end "cult" compact camera, with bright, fixed lens. Nobody of Ricoh Guys tested it before market? Nobody shot's afternoon or in house/restaurant/workplace? :evil:

odklizec wrote: It's the AF assist light. This was the first thing I disabled after turning the camera ON. But few days ago I realized how big difference it makes in low light. Just give it a try. But I agree it's not ideal if you don't want to be seen.

Yes, a hate assist light and it's first time, when i have to use it (after 3 DSLR's and 2 compacts, incl. GRD3). And it doesn't work properly (imo) - GR run's assist light not when AF dramatically slow down, but when scene is really dark :(
Waidodayo!
hungry.ant
hungry.ant

Postby adrianpure » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:53 am

Actually this is a problem - on Mac the file just crashes... so there is definitely something awry - I've tried it all ways on to the camera (no SD reader to hand) but I'm a little sceptical of turning the camera into a brick if there are portions of the file missing from the download...

"The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "rg1_v002.frm" can't be read or written (Error code -36)
adrianpure

Postby ggweci » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:49 pm

I just picked up a GR and upgraded the firmware. I'm also using a Mac and the download worked without issue.
ggweci

Postby odklizec » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:41 am

Hi Adrian and welcome here! When exactly you got that error? When you tried to unpack the file (rg1_v002.frm) from zip or when you tried to move it to SD card/camera? I would suggest you first unpack the file to somewhere on your Mac HDD and only then transfer it to SD card.

Eventually, you can get the unpacked file from this post:
viewtopic.php?p=62291#p62291
Simply save that file to SD card.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby derivative666 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:24 am

i keep getting an error message as well when trying to update. The file is being dragged to root level and it will not transfer i get a finder error code -36. I on a mac using os 10.9. Please any help would be greatly appreciated
ROBOT LORDS OF TOKYO, SMILE TASTE KITTENS
derivative666

Re: Ricoh GR + GT1 - useful or not?

Postby odklizec » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:33 pm

This error -36 points to an input/output error. It could be caused by bad sd card, card reader or there is a connection problem in case you connect the GR to Mac via provided USB cable. I would suggest you to try different SD card. If it still fails and you are using the internal card reader in your Mac, try to connect the GR (with inserted card) using the provided USB cable. There should appear new drive in your system. Then try to d&d the frm file to that new drive. Hope this helps?
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh GR