New GR firmware 2.03 available for download

Discussion about Ricoh GR

Re: New GR firmware 2.03 available for download

Postby Ray Rainbird » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:18 am

All I can see is currant version is 1.11 and that is all the information that I can see camera gives me no other options
Ray Rainbird

Postby hungry.ant » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:09 pm

Why there's nothing about fixing tricky AF? Now, in lower (not low) light, it's far less usable than AF in GRD III :(
Waidodayo!
hungry.ant
hungry.ant

Postby Tom Caldwell » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:04 am

odklizec wrote:Good to hear that! Ricoh folks should maybe reconsider the updating procedure and make it even easier. This unzipping and "root folder" thing always make it difficult for number of people.

Pavel

I am an old hand at updates. I remember the good old days of multiple finger gestures (grin)

However I thought it so simple this time that I just left the Ricoh site screen up and walked through it. From memory the instructions were not quite right, but I cannot remember in which way. In the end I "flummed" * my way through basically from knowing how it was supposed to happen and it worked, but I remember it as not quite what the instructions were telling me. This must confuse some new to the procedure but not half as much as what it once needed.

*(old English word from "Flummox" - confound, bewilder disconcert. Also not in my dictionary but in my understanding "a foolish sort of entertainment" presumably including an element of bewilderment - grin) I have not used the word in years ....

eg: "I am flummoxed" - I am unable to think of what to do next (therefore press all the button and see if one works ... :) )

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby ycp13 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:44 pm

ok, new FW on board, took 2 minutes with all preparations.
High time to test the changes on the streets.
ycp13

Postby odklizec » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Ray Rainbird wrote:All I can see is currant version is 1.11 and that is all the information that I can see camera gives me no other options

Ray, if you see 1.11 in both fields then the firmware file is most probably not located at proper place (SD card root) or the file is corrupted or not unpacked. OK, if you want, you can find the unpacked firmware file here...
rg1_v002.frm
(11.92 MiB) Downloaded 96 times

Download this file.
Connect GR camera (SD card must be inserted) using the provided USB cable to your computer.
Once the camera appears in your system as a new drive (with name RICOH), drag and drop the frm file from its current location to new drive. Ignore the MISC and DCIM folder! The frm file must be right in SD root! In other words, outside any folder visible on SD card.
When the transfer is completed, unhook the camera from PC, turn it ON and find the "Confirm Firmware Version". Now you should see 1.11 as your current version and 2.03 as "New Version". Simply confirm installation of new version and that's it.

Let me know, if you still don't see 2.03 in "New Version" field. In this case, I would suggest a Skype session with shared desktop. There must be something odd in your way you move the frm file or the computer alone prevents moving frm to SD card (for example because of a silly antivirus)? Good luck!
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby odklizec » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Tom Caldwell wrote:Pavel

I am an old hand at updates. I remember the good old days of multiple finger gestures (grin)

However I thought it so simple this time that I just left the Ricoh site screen up and walked through it. From memory the instructions were not quite right, but I cannot remember in which way. In the end I "flummed" * my way through basically from knowing how it was supposed to happen and it worked, but I remember it as not quite what the instructions were telling me. This must confuse some new to the procedure but not half as much as what it once needed.

*(old English word from "Flummox" - confound, bewilder disconcert. Also not in my dictionary but in my understanding "a foolish sort of entertainment" presumably including an element of bewilderment - grin) I have not used the word in years ....

eg: "I am flummoxed" - I am unable to think of what to do next (therefore press all the button and see if one works ... :) )

Tom

Hi Tom,

I think there is still a room for improving this procedure. For example, GR could unpack the frm from zip if user forgets to unpack it? Also, the update/version check procedure could search for the appropriate frm/zip in all directories on the SD card.

From my experience, people are often flummoxed ( ;) ) by the "root directory" thing. I'm an old school PC geek from DOS times, but many today's users simply don't have a clue what the root directory is, because in the smartphone/tablet era, they don't need such a thing like "root directory". So why not to make the procedure simpler? Simply put the zip/frm file anywhere on the SD card, camera will find it. It's really not so much work for programmers. And once the GR will get a WIFI module (which I'm sure it will in next generation), it should download and offer to install the FW without the need to hassle with downloading, unpacking and installing new FW file. I consider myself a geek, but I love the way the FW/application updates seamless work in Apple devices.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby blue_quartz » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:46 am

odklizec wrote:Good to hear that! Ricoh folks should maybe reconsider the updating procedure and make it even easier. This unzipping and "root folder" thing always make it difficult for number of people.

It's already the simplest way to update firmwares, beats having to install some application, turn on-and-off the camera, press some buttons to get it into some special mode etc. If anything, they probably can simplify their instructions. At first I didn't realise that pressing the "WB/Flash" buttons is just referring to the D-pad... If they said "go set-up menu > confirm software version (towards the end of the list)" I could have got the update done in a minute, not two. :D

In related news, it looks like the Exif tag update for the camera manufacturer broke DxO Optics Pro 8.3.2's handling of the GR's DNG files. :( I have highlighted on their forum and someone else from dpreview has also filed a report with them too:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3559475

Fingers crossed that the next incremental release will come out soon and fix this!
blue_quartz

Postby paulyrichard » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:34 pm

Hey blue quartz, I plan on picking a copy up of DXO's Optics Pro, and I plan on buying DXO viewpoint too.
Any of your experience and knowledge on how good this software is would be appreciated...Regards.
paulyrichard

Postby odklizec » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:37 pm

hungry.ant wrote:Why there's nothing about fixing tricky AF? Now, in lower (not low) light, it's far less usable than AF in GRD III :(

I don't think there is something to fix with GR low light AF. GR AF is tricky because of much larger sensor and so smaller DoF. In other words, it's much harder to nail the focus with APSC than with 1/1.7" sensor. There is something that really helps with GR low light AF but you may not like it ;) It's the AF assist light. This was the first thing I disabled after turning the camera ON. But few days ago I realized how big difference it makes in low light. Just give it a try. But I agree it's not ideal if you don't want to be seen.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby odklizec » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:54 pm

reeluff wrote:What exactly and how does this feature work? I do not seem to be able to figure it out.

thelps wrote:
odklizec wrote:<P Mode Selection>

Added the program diagram in [Max Aperture Prior.].
Newly added [P Mode Selection] (can be set only in P mode and M mode) has two options: [Normal] and [Max Aperture Prior.] (Maximum Aperture Priority).
When [Max Aperture Prior.] is set in P mode, [PA] appears on the shooting screen.

When [Program] is selected in [One Press M Mode] of the [Key Custom Options] menu (p.42), the aperture value and shutter speed are adjusted according to the [P Mode Selection] setting you set.

This I like, very good idea!

Hi,

I just tried it and I think it works like that. Once you set the [P Mode Selection] with the Maximum Aperture Priority, the camera in P mode (or M mode with selected Program mode) selects maximum possible aperture (lowest aperture number). It may be good in cases you prefer to maintain lowest F number to be used before anything else. Hope this helps?
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh GR