Ricoh GR - missing lens ring

Discussion about Ricoh GR

Postby Frankoz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi all,

Went out tonight and took some shots but came home without the lens ring!

Have been searching Google and eBay for a replacement but no luck. Does anyone know where I can purchase one?

Be grateful for any suggestions. It's a bit of a design flaw; I'll probably use a little blu-tac or similar to secure the replacement, but hope Ricoh take note.

Thanks,
John

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 4
Frankoz

Re: Ricoh GR - missing lens ring

Postby odklizec » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi John,

In the past, PopFlash Photo sold the GRD rings but not anymore as it seems. But you can't lose anything contacting them with a question regarding the GR rings availability? I would also try to contact Ricoh support with a question about the replacement ring availability. Who knows? Maybe they will send you one? I remember reports from people who lost their ring and to whom Ricoh kindly sent a replacement for free.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby Frankoz » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:34 am

Thanks Pavel, I'll try Ricoh and see how I go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Frankoz

Postby Frankoz » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:45 pm

Ricoh Australia distributor forecast a 2month wait for stock - great. Have emailed Ricoh Japan - will see what happens.

Frankoz

Postby 33dollars » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:01 pm

E-b@y has the limited edition RED
swipe this number into E-b@y 171125139007
33dollars
Site Supporter

Postby Frankoz » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:22 am

Thanks 33Dollars!

Frankoz

Postby Frankoz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:58 pm

Hi All,

Just an update on the lens ring issue.

Disappointingly, Ricoh Japan have used a standard call centre response and redirected me back CR Kennedy, the Australian distributor, notwithstanding I had already told them that Kennedys are waiting on them.

Given I'm showing interested photographer friends a camera with a build flaw and the item concerned is small, light and easy to post, I would have hoped for a more proactive and supportive response.

Oh well.....

Rgds.
John

Frankoz

Postby odklizec » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi John,

I've contacted my contact in Ricoh and he suggests to contact Convar (http://www.convar.de/contact.htm?po=6&language=1). It's a bit long-distant solution but it may work? He is also going to ask his colleague if there is a chance to bring you the ring from a bit nearer distance. Stay tuned! ;)
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby Frankoz » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:46 pm

odklizec wrote:Hi John,

I've contacted my contact in Ricoh and he suggests to contact Convar (http://www.convar.de/contact.htm?po=6&language=1). It's a bit long-distant solution but it may work? He is also going to ask his colleague if there is a chance to bring you the ring from a bit nearer distance. Stay tuned! ;)

Thanks Pavel, I just saw your message.

Frankoz

Postby Tom Caldwell » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:06 am

John

I don't know if any of the early owners of the GR in Oz wish to sell off their original black ring or simply don't like their free accessory red one.

I want both unfortunately and the black one stays on the camera and the red one when I "need" to be seen and make a splash. But at least I have a spare. The red ring came as an additional accessory in the box.

I don't think the "extra red ring and strap" was a world wide "special deal" and might only have been on the first-order Australian delivery. Finding a Ricoh dealer who hung on to one of the duplicate rings would be an exercise in patience.

The original GRD had only the simple twist to remove mounting and was easily displaced. Ricoh have continued to use this too easy to remove/lose front ring attachment. When they made the GX100 they introduced a separate lock button like a mount release catch) just for the dress ring. Must have been cheaper for them to simply replace the lost rings when it happened. I would second Pavel's remark that if asked nicely Ricoh might replace the ring via their distributor.

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Next

Return to Ricoh GR