My RICOH GR all tricked out...

Discussion about Ricoh GR

Re: My RICOH GR all tricked out...

Postby paulyrichard » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:37 am

Hey Tom, the adapter and hood are a very tight and secure fit and it all feels so much like a uniform part of the camera. These things are so very expensive they're bound to be copied and sold by third party companies but will they be the same tight and rigid fit? I don't know...
Anyway, it's the waiting time for RICOH's prices to scale down, that's the killer. :) Camera and dust will not wait IMO...:)
As for the square hoods, I love them so much too. I have a few 49mm circular hoods too but haven't checked them out on this camera yet, i'm smitten by this square one.

Anyway, isn't it a quicker response to always have it hanging around one's neck instead of in a pocket, for those who never want to miss a single moment? :D

Hey Tim, your so right about the GC-6 jacket, I guess it will take some wearing in. It will happen over time i'm sure...
Last edited by paulyrichard on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulyrichard

Postby Blow-in » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:28 am

The debate on portatbility versus protection has no perfect answer in my opinion and I can only report on my experiences with various GRDs which have come almost full circle.

Having started with a 'bare' camera I was also concerned about dust and environmental protection so I too went down the route of the adapter with filter and lens hood when required all on a neck strap:

GH-2 two.JPG
GH-2 two.JPG (220.53 KiB) Viewed 8754 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:02 pm
Focus length: 8.4 mm
Shutter speed: 1/3 Sec
F-number: F/2.4
ISO speed rating: 200
Whitebalance: Manual
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Camera-model: GR Digital
Exposure program: Aperture priority
Exposure bias: 0 EV
Metering mode: Center-weighted average

This then encouraged me to buy a 21mm adapter and use the GC4 case (all this stuff was second hand by the way) as a half case:

2 - GRD4 wirh GW6.JPG
2 - GRD4 wirh GW6.JPG (298.07 KiB) Viewed 8737 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Thu May 31, 2012 6:22 pm
Focus length: 5.9 mm
Shutter speed: 1/5 Sec
F-number: F/2.4
ISO speed rating: 64
Whitebalance: Auto
Camera-model: GR Digital
Exposure bias: -7/10 EV

And then I found I was carrying the camera less and less. Now I have the GXR in a small bag. On days when I think 'let's take some photos' the GXR is my tool of choice. However on days when I think 'doesn't look like a good photo day' I carry the GRD4 in the full GC4 case with wrist strap which slips reasonably easily in to a large pocket:

GRD4 in GC4.JPG
GRD4 in GC4.JPG (305.34 KiB) Viewed 8731 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:11 am
Focus length: 33 mm
Shutter speed: 1/55 Sec
F-number: F/4
ISO speed rating: 3200
Whitebalance: Auto
Camera-model: GXR A12
Exposure bias: -7/10 EV

I really like the GC4 case (technically the GRD4 should use a GC4A but the earlier case works). It allows the GV2 to remain fitted and there is a tripod thread underneath the lower half. It can easily be used as a half case with a neck or wrist strap. Yes it takes a few seconds to change the battery or take the card out but that's not an issue for me. So I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't a GC5 for the GR.

Richard
Blow-in
Site Supporter

Postby paulyrichard » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:45 pm

Thanks for letting us see your setup, Richard.
As for pockets, my jeans are too tight but my GR will still fit into a jacket or coat pocket...:)

I also keep my GR in a small Lowepro bag when at home or when i'm not using it, it's a perfect fit without any rollling or moving about. It's the exact same one as this, here...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowepro-small ... 4d0a0345a9
paulyrichard

Postby Tom Caldwell » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:08 pm

Puzzled? GC-5? Talking in tongues? GC-1? Strange language ...
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby Tom Caldwell » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:28 pm

So I dug out my GW-2 0.75x wide from the GRDIII/IV days in hopeful anticipation but the GR needs a GW-3 - bummer...
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby Blow-in » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Tom Caldwell wrote:Puzzled? GC-5? Talking in tongues? GC-1? Strange language ...

It's all here (apart from the none existent GC-5) http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/gr/gr_digital4/option.html

Richard
Blow-in
Site Supporter

Postby Tom Caldwell » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:52 am

Blow-in wrote:
Tom Caldwell wrote:Puzzled? GC-5? Talking in tongues? GC-1? Strange language ...

It's all here (apart from the none existent GC-5) http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/gr/gr_digital4/option.html

Richard

Thanks Richard,

I had thought that I had given up on buying accessories but when I checked my little box of treasures I found the I had in fact bought a GH-2 (extension tube & hood and a GW-2 21mm effective wide lens. (I must be careful not to run out a bunch of codes and expect everyone to know what they are). I suppose I must have fogotten as I have not been using them. As I bought one of the very first GRDIII in Australia it was a while ago. The problem has always been that the GRD series was "made" to go about in "easy carry" mode. Either in pocket, on belt or in purse (we don't hear much from our female GRD fanatics).

The problem is that just as soon as the camera is tricked up with tube and hood/wide-lens it no longer functions as being highly portable but becomes just another small camera that gets lugged around and packed into a bag rather than a belt-sheath. Nothing wrong with that basically but it brings it straight into the carry-class of the GXR.

Of course you can always carry the add-on bits separately and fit when needed in the field but this pre-supposes somwhere to carry all "the bits". So I am tricking up my GRDIII with the finery and keeping my GRDIV slick and simple. Seems a good compromise.

The GR takes the GW-3 wide lens. Pity. It would have been nicer if the earlier wide supplementary lenses had been re-cycled. Of course I have the gear for the GRDIII/IV and not for the GR where I might be able to see how well the GW-2 stood up.

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby Tom Caldwell » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:14 am

paulyrichard wrote:Hey Tom, the adapter and hood are a very tight and secure fit and it all feels so much like a uniform part of the camera. These things are so very expensive they're bound to be copied and sold by third party companies but will they be the same tight and rigid fit? I don't know...
Anyway, it's the waiting time for RICOH's prices to scale down, that's the killer. :) Camera and dust will not wait IMO...:)
As for the square hoods, I love them so much too. I have a few 49mm circular hoods too but haven't checked them out on this camera yet, i'm smitten by this square one.

Anyway, isn't it a quicker response to always have it hanging around one's neck instead of in a pocket, for those who never want to miss a single moment? :D

Hey Tim, your so right about the GC-6 jacket, I guess it will take some wearing in. It will happen over time i'm sure...

Test: Start up your GR, let the lens extend, look at it - seems like a pit in there. Worry. But then I look at the GRDIII, same pit, a bit smaller. Have I had problems with things getting into the pit since I bought my first GRD 8/9 years ago? Not at all. Not with the GRDIII either and I have not had the GRDIV long enough to know.

I have had a different sort of use for the GRD series apart from normal photography. As "a suit" I carried my GRD at work on my belt instead of the ubiquitous mobile phone. Why have a mobile when a nice secretary can filter your calls? However the GRD has always served second purpose as a handy portable photocopier. Perhaps Ricoh, the copier company, always had that in mind?

I like that hood, as previously noted, looks more sweet and up-market than the GRD versions. But I wonder whether mine would just end up in the treasure chest of inconvenient to use parts. My choice entirely of course.

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby xc1427 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:25 am

where can we find this lens hood (Japanese UN lens hood )? It looks a little bit smaller than original hood. I like it.
xc1427
Site Supporter

Postby paulyrichard » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:44 am

Hey xc', what kind of viewfinder are you using on that? The jacket looks great too, who makes those and where? :)

Here's another shot of mine fitted with a nice high-end B+W UV filter...

paulyrichard

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh GR