My RICOH GR all tricked out...

Discussion about Ricoh GR

Re: My RICOH GR all tricked out...

Postby xc1427 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:01 pm

nice gear! Congratulation !

By the way, I would like to know if the hood will block a little proportion of view in the optical viewfinder.
xc1427
Site Supporter

Postby paulyrichard » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Yes it does xc', but not by much. I've had rangefinders in the past that have had they're viewfinders obscured a little, by a hood being used, and it's fine if your used to it...
paulyrichard

Postby jsrockit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:49 pm

I go bareback... I wanted it because it is small. Adding anything to it makes it too big.
Ricoh GR
jsrockit

Postby paulyrichard » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:00 pm

jsrockit wrote:I go bareback... I wanted it because it is small. Adding anything to it makes it too big.

Believe me, even though I have this stuff attached to it, it's still a small affair, and beats an 'in your face' Leica M9...:D
The adapter tube extends out 31mm of which 8mm of it is used by the hood being attached.
paulyrichard

Postby jsrockit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:56 pm

paulyrichard wrote:Believe me, even though I have this stuff attached to it, it's still a small affair, and beats an 'in your face' Leica M9...:D
The adapter tube extends out 31mm of which 8mm of it is used by the hood being attached.

The way you have your camera set-up, it is no more "stealth" than a M9. ;)
Ricoh GR
jsrockit

Postby paulyrichard » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:32 pm

Who mentioned 'stealth'? :) I think that term is a bit of a misnomer when it comes to cameras, no matter what it is you will still have to break cover and point the damn thing. :)
Anyway, if we're talking stealth I don't mind your comparison with an M9, my GR is still smaller and that counts for something I guess. :)
paulyrichard

Postby jsrockit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:51 pm

I was just messing around. I think the real point is that we both use the camera the way it fits our needs. :)
Ricoh GR
jsrockit

Postby paulyrichard » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:13 am

Hey Js', i'm just writing you in a lighthearted way too, no worries. :)

Anyway, for me it all started with having to get that adapter because I heard of people on here getting dust on the sensor. I don't know how well sealed these cameras are with slide out lenses, that's all. Also, I don't like having lens elements exposed and unprotected.

Regards...
paulyrichard

Postby Tom Caldwell » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:20 am

Thanks Pauly, I looked up the price of those very nice hoods and decided that I might wait a little longer for the sticker-shock to subside ...

Meanwhile I noticed a retailer in Australia dumping the hood and tube for a GRDIII for $20. Much nicer (price).

Not that the GRDIII really needs the tube/hood but some prices are harder to resist :shock:

As consolation I note that the earlier hoods are not as up-market as the present ones look.

However the whole matter of fitting a tube and hood on to the GR begs another discussion.

In my book the original GRD was the ideal size to be carried everywhere at all times. Even the similarly body sixed LX1 was not comfortable in that role due to it's lens protrusion. The GRDIII managed to get away with being slightly larger and still be carry-everywhere. But I have noticed that the GR is very similar in size to the GXR (only a little less tall) and of course there is the question of the lens protrusion. No doubt most will stoutly resist the notion that the GR is not pocketable as much as nobody really argues that the GXR is - not even with a P10 or S10 module on board. It is just those few millimetres of size all round larger in an area where those few millimetres mean a lot.

So we have creeping body size and no one could argue that increased girth of the flat-chested GR size has not been worth it to secure such an effective camera.

Carry it if we must. I have not yet hunted for or found a suitable belt sheath-case for my GR. No doubt they are to be found. However the propensity for half cases and neck straps and now fixed tubes with hoods seems to indicate to me that the GR is right on the cusp of being an always there in pocket or belt or treated as a regular small compact camera that is packed or kept around the neck rather than carried on body.

Lucky that it still is borderline for these seperate scenarios. I doubt if even another millimetre all round would do any more than drop it into the "GXR-class".

Love the square hoods - tres cool.

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby thelps » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:07 am

My GC-5 arrived yesterday. I can clearly feel the GR in the GC-5 combo is a larger little bit bulkier carry than the "GRD IV+GC-1" that I've been using. The mode dial seems less protected too and the internal felt material seems to resist the body of the GR from freely sliding in and out.

With the GC-1 the GRDIV slid out with ease, snug fit but on the side of loose, which when on my belt made access quick. The GC-5 may need some wearing in time perhaps?
Tim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

| Ricoh GRD I Limited | Ricoh GRD II | Ricoh GRD III | Ricoh GRD IV | Ricoh GR | and some inspiration
thelps
Site Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh GR