Ricoh GR Preview in RAW mode vs Jpeg

Discussion about Ricoh GR

Re: Ricoh GR Preview in RAW mode vs Jpeg

Postby 400tx » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:29 am

boliston wrote:If I want to check detail on a raw it is possible to "develop" it in a couple of seconds into a jpeg and it is then fully zoomable - you can then delete the jpeg if you no longer need it.

This is what I did once, but the amount of time it takes is prohibitive in my opinion unless I want to share it.
400tx

Postby Tom Caldwell » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:42 am

dansenor wrote:hello,
still waiting for mine but I've allready looked at the manual, and with GR it's only raw + (jpeg L) :

sorry, it's the french manual :

Seems to me that they have done away with the second menu that allows to to choose what size jpg you get to go with your RAW+ setting (or no jpg just an embedded VGA size jpg inside the RAW file). The new deal seems to be an embedded L size jpg which would probably provide a better playback image.

Also you can get an L size image along wih a RAW file. However they seem to have lost the difference between "Large" and "Large-fine". Maybe this is no longer relevent for the larger sensor used?

In any case this should satisfy the raw-freaks who will stop at nothing to get a very large RAW file complete with embedded full size jpg instead of just regular RAW file size plus a separate jpg file so that they can choose which of the two files to use and which to discard. The latter seems much a more common sense approach.

I suppose that is a case of the manufacturer listening to noisy user demands and giving them a sort of "nonsensical" improvement.

I would be happy to listen to reasoned argument why it is absolutely necessary to have a full sized jpg file embedded inside a RAW file.

Tom

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby Tom Caldwell » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:58 am

boliston wrote:If I want to check detail on a raw it is possible to "develop" it in a couple of seconds into a jpeg and it is then fully zoomable - you can then delete the jpeg if you no longer need it.

This seems like a Pentax- sourced approach given more versatility, new to Ricoh.

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby jorgeledesma » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Thanks everyone for all the responses. Tom thanks again. I just load my a 32gb card and shoot RAW + L and so be it, I can check previews and the GR writes pretty fast to the card anyway so I don't feel like I'm slowing down. Cheers everyone.
Simplifying my photography ― Ricoh GR

“For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
― Henri Cartier-Bresson

http://ledesmaphotography.wordpress.com/new-ricoh-gr-review/
jorgeledesma

Postby dangerous » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:03 pm

I don't shoot anywhere near that much. I'm usually raw only, but sometimes raw+jpeg. I have a lot of fun processing images and will often run a file through a few programs to get the outcome I want. Raw files can hold up to this. Jpegs start having issues. Especially if I'm using Color Efex Pro or Silver Efex, images that started from raw files hold up a lot better. With jpegs https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/what-is-jpg.html - good article about this format, if you push them too far, you end up with banding of colours and other artefacts appearing.
dangerous

Previous

Return to Ricoh GR