Ricoh GR Preview in RAW mode vs Jpeg

Discussion about Ricoh GR

Postby jorgeledesma » Mon May 27, 2013 6:30 pm

Guys, I posted this topic over at dpreview http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3493914 and it says.
---
Guys, I just realized that when you switch the mode from the jpeg to raw, the image preview sucks big time. But while in jpeg mode one can easily zoom in and check focus clearly. Is this  a Ricoh GR limitation on the RAW image itself or is this fixable in a firmware updates.
---
Some folks gave some nice responses but I'd love to know what you all think or is it just me.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Simplifying my photography ― Ricoh GR

“For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
― Henri Cartier-Bresson

http://ledesmaphotography.wordpress.com/new-ricoh-gr-review/
jorgeledesma

Re: Ricoh GR Preview in RAW mode vs Jpeg

Postby rr_mv » Thu May 30, 2013 8:51 pm

jorgeledesma wrote:Guys, I posted this topic over at dpreview <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3493914">http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3493914</a><!-- m --> and it says.
---
Guys, I just realized that when you switch the mode from the jpeg to raw, the image preview sucks big time. But while in jpeg mode one can easily zoom in and check focus clearly. Is this  a Ricoh GR limitation on the RAW image itself or is this fixable in a firmware updates.
---
Some folks gave some nice responses but I'd love to know what you all think or is it just me.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
It seems that when you shoot in raw + jpg, you get the sharp preview. Just download the raw files...
rr_mv

Postby wok64 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:06 am

Sometimes (Always?) raws have a JPEG image embedded for preview purposes. The camera then doesn't take the full raw file to show the preview but it only shows the embedded JPEG instead. If this JPEG is low resolution - and usually it is - it "sucks" compared to a full resolution JPEG when zooming in. The Leica M9 suffer from this type of restriction too for example (in addition to a low res display ...) .

Best regards,
Wolfgang
wok64

Postby 400tx » Fri May 31, 2013 4:23 pm

My guess is that the chose to make the raw only embedded JPEG preview file size small to respect overall raw file size for shooters who don't want to preview in depth. So, their solution for people who want to preview in depth is RAW+ which has the added benefit of freeing the separate JPG so it isn't trapped inside the raw file. This can speed up catalog software workflow by using the JPEGs as catalog previews if they are not already extracted from the preview jpeg, and saves some steps if you quickly want to email a snap to a fried.

At first when I noticed the small raw preview I thought it was just dumb and needed to be fixed, however now I consider it a pretty calculated move that I appreciate.

I would like to see RAW+ give a file size option to the + however to fine tune the maximum previews and for sharing.
400tx

Postby Tom Caldwell » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:24 am

You only get raw only with an inbuilt VGA sixpze jpg which will give only basic playback resolution. However if you use RAW+jpg then you can chose from all the jpg file sizes on offer as the co-jpg file. Consequently Ricoh offers a good variety of variations without having to load up the RAW files stored burdened with large jpg files inserted.

Why anyone who only wants to shoot raw would insist that everyone else has to have a large jpg file inserted into the RAW file captured to ensure they get a good playback image defies me. But then that is "just me".

Consider that it should be more convenient to shoot RAW+fine-jpg and get the best of all world. The files still store acceptably quickly. Large capacity SD cards are getting cheaper. And it only takes a minute to scrub the jpg files entirely if determined to throw them away. Furthermore the hard drive does not need to be burdened by storing bloated RAW files.

With respect, it is a bit like "Ricoh does not have it, so I want it". No matter how little practical sense it makes.

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby 400tx » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Tom Caldwell wrote:You only get raw only with an inbuilt VGA sixpze jpg which will give only basic playback resolution. However if you use RAW+jpg then you can chose from all the jpg file sizes on offer as the co-jpg file. Consequently Ricoh offers a good variety of variations without having to load up the RAW files stored burdened with large jpg files inserted.

Why anyone who only wants to shoot raw would insist that everyone else has to have a large jpg file inserted into the RAW file captured to ensure they get a good playback image defies me. But then that is "just me".

Consider that it should be more convenient to shoot RAW+fine-jpg and get the best of all world. The files still store acceptably quickly. Large capacity SD cards are getting cheaper. And it only takes a minute to scrub the jpg files entirely if determined to throw them away. Furthermore the hard drive does not need to be burdened by storing bloated RAW files.

With respect, it is a bit like "Ricoh does not have it, so I want it". No matter how little practical sense it makes.

Tom

Tom, if you find out how to change the RAW+ jpeg size please let us know. My manual suggests that the only accompanying size is large.
400tx

Postby Tom Caldwell » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:51 pm

Page 3/4 of the GRDIV manual has "RAW/JPEG Setting" this leads to a menu where you can choose from: Fine Normal VGA or RAW only (embedded JPEG) as the "accompanying" file for the RAW file set in the quality menu.

I have not taken delivery of a GR as of yet but assume thatbthere will be something similar in the GR menu system.

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby dansenor » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:08 pm

hello,
still waiting for mine but I've allready looked at the manual, and with GR it's only raw + (jpeg L) :

sorry, it's the french manual :

dansenor

Postby streetshooter » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:23 pm

The jpeg preview like in most other cameras, also allows you to set B&W on the screen.
That's how all my cameras are and I get rid of any that can't do a screen in B&W. the GR has a very readable screen even at the beach.
streetshooter
Site Supporter

Postby boliston » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:44 am

If I want to check detail on a raw it is possible to "develop" it in a couple of seconds into a jpeg and it is then fully zoomable - you can then delete the jpeg if you no longer need it.
boliston

Next

Return to Ricoh GR