New sensor size in old camera - the Q7

Discussion about PENTAX cameras & lenses
Forum rules
This PENTAX discussion is open for all existing or new Ricoh forum members coming from the PENTAX world or Ricoh users interested about PENTAX cameras. It's not intended to be or become a fully featured PENTAX forum. It's just a place where you can share your experiences with PENTAX cameras/lenses and your thoughts about Ricoh/PENTAX cooperation and future.

For fully featured PENTAX forum experience I would suggest to visit this fantastic PENTAX forum:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/

New sensor size in old camera - the Q7

Postby Rog Tallbloke » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:57 pm

Pentax have released the Q7, which has the same (tiny) form factor as the original Q and the newer Q10, but now contains the backlit CMOS 1/1.7 sensor they released in the MX1. This means the f1.8 8.5mm lens which gave a 50mm equivalent to 35mm film cameras on the Q and Q10 now gives around 40mm on the new Q7. An interesting proposition for Ricoh GX fans who want a newer sensor with less chroma noise and more dynamic range mounted in a small high quality package with interchangeable lenses.

DPreview have a full review http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-q7

I've had a Pentax Q for a while and I like it. There are many adaptors on the market for using old slr lenses and other small lenses too. There are reports of quality problems with the autofocus 15-45 constant f2.8 telezoom lens though, which is a shame.

I use a PK adaptor and an old f2.8 135mm Tokina prime lens for a 735mm equivalent telephoto, which is great for wildlife and distant views.
R1015813.jpg
Tokina 135 F2.8 mounted on Petax Q giving 735mm equivalent focal length.
R1015813.jpg (219.2 KiB) Viewed 1203 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:07 am
Focus length: 34.26 mm
Shutter speed: 1/10 Sec
F-number: F/5
ISO speed rating: 200
Whitebalance: Auto
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Camera-model: GXR A16
Exposure program: Normal program
Exposure bias: 0 EV
Metering mode: Pattern

Any other Q users here at the Ricoh forum?
Rog Tallbloke

Return to PENTAX world