back here with the usual...

Discussion about Ricoh G & PX tough and waterproof cameras

Re: back here with the usual...

Postby Wiener » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:25 am

Those macros are amazing! The PX certainly suits your location... :)
Andy
Wiener
Site Supporter

Location: Vienna, or Scotland, or anywhere around about, or in between...

Postby elefnt » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:48 pm

Lovely color

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
elefnt

Postby riccadonna » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:47 pm

Quester, you do wonders with your PX. The small sensor extended DOF certainly helps a lot with close-ups. Why Ricoh doesn`t come up with updated sister to PX is beyond my understanding. What we need is all weather, waterproof 1" PX! Stanislaw
riccadonna

Postby quester » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:53 pm

riccadonna wrote: What we need is all weather, waterproof 1" PX! Stanislaw

Thanks very much for the nice words, Stanislaw, and can't agree with you more about the need for a serious large sensor compact with WR. Hope Ricoh will give us the pleasure of being the first maker to put one out.
I think the reason the PX performs well here is the strong light - in fact, I suppose any small sensor camera will give good results here.

IAC, these apparently will be the last PX pics you'll be seeing from me - the camera has a bug preventing it from starting up, and I won't be sending it off to get repaired, not worth the probable cost. I'm ready for my next camera anyway. If I were in Copenhagen, I'd grab that GXR you told us about. Started to dismantle the PX, but pretty quickly I realized that I will probably reach a disrespectful (for the camera) point of no return....

Too bad I won't be able to have the PX around me in the future, but we are parting as good friends.

9274956022_534643f671_o.jpg
9274956022_534643f671_o.jpg (261.34 KiB) Viewed 1778 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:01 pm
Focus length: 8.21 mm
Shutter speed: 1/310 Sec
F-number: F/4.6
ISO speed rating: 100
Whitebalance: Auto
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Camera-model: PX
Exposure program: Normal program
Exposure bias: 3/10 EV
Metering mode: Pattern
quester
Site Supporter

Postby Schaki » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:09 am

Sorry to hear about your PX not working anymore.
The Ricoh G700 however could be a good upgrade. In terms of Image quality it is somewhat better, not only than the PX but also the other waterproof compacts which Ricoh have announced since. The problem which Ricoh have with their current waterproof WG-series of compacts is the noise reduction being too high and no option to lower it. At least the issue with oversharpening can be dealt with.

I wrote a short review of the Ricoh G700 with full size sample images for some time ago. http://dpreview.com/forums/thread/3112288 Other than the occasional grey looking noise. Based on the official sample images from the G800 I would definitely go for the older G700 even if the price had been equal. The G800 manage to ruin foliage quite well unlike the G700, with NR and oversharpening way too high. I'm not going to bother review that one simply because the image quality is not good enough to make me interested. I always go for cameras with acceptable image quality when viewed at Full-size. That's also why I so far have ditched the WG-series so far.

The older Ricoh Caplio 500G and 500SE uses even less NR than for the G600 and G700. The downside with the the 500SE however is that it is bulky and also that movie-mode is next to useless as that specific quality is so bad. There is a slight occasional purple cast which sometime can show up in images with the 500G / SE. But by using white balance preset Cloudy/Overcast it is possible to deal with that problem for most of the time easily. G700 have ok hd-video imo but it can't refocus once the recording have begun.

There is one so far inexpensive new in box Ricoh 500SE on EBay with 5 days remaining and the sell have good reputation. http://ebay.co.uk/itm/Ricoh-Caplio-500S ... 4877f6e56f

G700SE with the Gps. http://ebay.com/itm/RICOH-G700SE-12-1-M ... 4d2b5559da Not a bad price for that one either. These rugged and shockproof Ricohs was expensive as new.

Other good but not new waterproof cameras with good image quality are Pentax Optio W60, Canon Powershot D10 and The newer Powershot D20 is also ok to me when it comes to image quality. I liked the very little NR which was applied but not so much the slow zoom, the UI, shape/grip of the camera or the somewhat stiff shutter-release button.
Schaki

Postby quester » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:54 pm

Schaki wrote:The Ricoh G700 however could be a good upgrade.

Thanks for the suggestions, Schaki.

For a number of reasons, my next camera will only be bought new from a reliable source, and I will be getting one with a larger sensor than the 1/2.3". I will be waiting a few months to see if someone comes out with a serious large sensor compact with WR, and if not - I will order a new GR or GXR from abroad somehow, and swallow the shipping costs (unless by chance someone will transport it for me). I prefer upgrading to something like this and keeping it protected, than continuing with a small sensor WR camera.
I'd like to have a new camera in my hands by May.

In the meantime, withdrawal symptoms are getting bad - not used to not having a camera in my pocket.... ;)
quester
Site Supporter

Postby Blow-in » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:08 am

Hi Quester,

I'm sorry that the PX has finally died. You've clearly been giving a replacement a lot of thought and seem ready to embrace a fixed focal length lens. From my GRD and GXR experience I suggest the GXR is much more robust and this comment probably appplies to the GR too which has a telescoping lens. You can protect the GR with the adapter tube and a filter but then it's almost as big as the GXR A12 28. From the little I've seen, GR IQ has the edge and it has a better macro capability. On the otherhand the GXR offers more lenses.....difficult!

Richard
Blow-in
Site Supporter

Postby riccadonna » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:52 pm

Richard, about the size of GR with GH-3 filter adapter, yes it`s just as deep as GXR A12 28 retracted! Now, the only solution would be a kind of compact clam shell housing with O-ring fitting GH-3. The housing would need only shutter release connection, exposure and distance taken care with TAV and AF. The nearest solution to our compact all weather dream would be Nikon AW1 but I did hear that while idea is not bad, though a very far cry to siplicity and ruggedness of legendary Nikonos/Calypso, the design and reliability of AW1 is a bad joke.
riccadonna

Postby quester » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:00 pm

Thanks for the advice Richard.

I see myself owning only one camera and lens, so the GXR's multiple lensors have no real appeal to me. I've come to enjoy the minimalism of a fixed lens, never really enjoyed using the zoom on the PX (and I like to save my money for other interests...). If I'd get the GXR, I'd go for the 28 mm. lensor only. The only reason I'd prefer this over the GR is that it might be cheaper, and a bit more durable with respect to dust.

I'd like to get some experience with an APS-C sized sensor, for the sake of its image quality, so the GRD is not being considered right now, although I appreciate its compactness and useful DOF. Bokeh is not really in my book..

But then if some manufacturer other than Ricoh comes out with a WR serious large sensor compact by May, well, I just might be crossing into that camp. Chances of this occurring, though, seem close to zero - it looks like only Stanislaw and I are praying for said camera.
quester
Site Supporter

Postby Wiener » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:06 pm

Hi Quester,
as I have probably said in the past the GXR, even with the shorter A12 28mm unit, it is not quite a pocket camera in the way your trusty PX is/was. That was one of the reasons why I recently bought the GR as I wanted a camera which would always be on hand, rather than the GXR which I tend to take when I am deliberately photo-shooting. Not that I do not find a place for the latter, but my life is extra busy at the moment and deliberate photo shooting has become something of a luxury! The GR has no zoom of course, which I feel you might miss...but it has a lot of potential for 'zooming' digitally, as it's image is sharp enough to allow good quality images to be extracted even when cropping in quite an extreme way.
Anyway, good luck with your search!
Andy
Wiener
Site Supporter

Location: Vienna, or Scotland, or anywhere around about, or in between...

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh G/PX