Anyone have tried Eye-fi SD card for ipad and GXR-M Wifi ?

Discussion about Ricoh GXR M-mount module and lenses

Anyone have tried Eye-fi SD card for ipad and GXR-M Wifi ?

Postby antonz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:31 am

I am thinking of using wifi untethered shooting using my GXR and ipad2.
There's an example in here :

http://jesserosten.com/2010/wireless-tethering-to-ipad

If anyone have experience of it, please share.. :)

Thanks
antonz

Re: Anyone have tried Eye-fi SD card for ipad and GXR-M Wifi ?

Postby odklizec » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:40 am

Not yet, but I have the eye-fi in my sight for a while ;) And now also this new Toshiba FlashAir card. Both cards look definitely tempting.

As for using GXR with eye-fi, generally, it should work. But I guess new GXR body (of course, if the rumors are right and there will be introduced something like new GXR body ;)) will get direct eye-fi support as well as CX5/6 and GRDIV.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby antonz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:38 am

Thanks Pavel :)
Well if the new model of GXR is coming, it'd be a good news... even better if it's full frame sensor with M mount.

Toshiba surely better as it can do two way wifi :D
antonz

Postby odklizec » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:47 am

Forget about FF ;) This will not happen anytime in a near future. We may see the FF GXR module one day, but definitely not anytime soon.

But I'm personally pretty sure that there will be new GXR body introduced soon and new Zoom module an ideal opportunity for introduction of new body as well. There is just too many new technologies and features, which would be silly not to add to GXR (PD-AF, 1mil dot LCD, articulated LCD, eye-fi and SDHX support, more memory and faster CPU to hold and process more continuous shots, etc...) ;)
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby Duane Pandorf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:38 pm

I've been using the Eye-Fi card in my GXR for some time and then transferring images to either my iPhone or iPad. I did not buy the version that will transfer RAW files. I bet it drains the camera battery faster if the camera is left on compared to a card without wifi.

I've been doing a PAD on my blog and I've already used the wifi card to get my image off the camera to my iPad to edit the file with Snapseed. Then used the Wordpress iPad app to upload my blog entry with photo.

Below is an example:

http://blog.duanepandorf.com/2012/01/17/day-17-2012/
Duane Pandorf
-----------------
Blog | Flickr
Duane Pandorf
Site Supporter

Postby slappo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:37 pm

I am using Eye-fi cards in the GXR and in two other cameras. I use it for getting the location (latitude, longitude) into the photos metadata and also for transferring the images to my computer via wifi (which is a bit slow but otherwise works fine).

About a year ago I tried to forward the jpeg images to my iPhone and from there the were later forwarded by ShutterSnitch to my computer. But my raw files were left in the camera so I had to manually upload them from the SD-card. (At least when I tested it, EyeFi did not allow me to define two different ways of uploading - jpeg to iPhone and Raw to my home wifi network/computer).

Another issue was that it took too long (for me) until the jpg image was showing up on my iPhone.

So I went back to my original EyeFi workflow - location tagging and auto transfer of both jpg and raw.

If others have a better experience I like to hear about it because I would like to be able to check the photos on my phone and tablet.

For any new cameras I think the time has come to tether them to apps in phones or tablets. Not just for showing the photos, but also for showing the display and letting you trigger shooting, and maybe even running through the menus and changing parameters, from the device.

odklizec wrote:As for using GXR with eye-fi, generally, it should work. But I guess new GXR body (of course, if the rumors are right and there will be introduced something like new GXR body ;)) will get direct eye-fi support as well as CX5/6 and GRDIV.

Pavel - what do you mean by direct EyeFi support?
slappo
Site Supporter

Postby HireTablet » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:10 pm

I want to ask same question as well .
HireTablet

Postby Duane Pandorf » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:23 pm

HireTablet wrote:I want to ask same question as well .

Morning HireTablet, I have not used the EyeFi SD card in a while as the company discontinued the app that’s compatible with my card. Having said that, I was using the EyeFi SD card in my Leica M-E to transfer the JPG files to my iPhone. The iPhone is basically using the same IOS as the iPad. The problem is the EyeFi IOS app has been updated or terminated I guess and you need the latest or newer Mobi WiFi cards.
Duane Pandorf
-----------------
Blog | Flickr
Duane Pandorf
Site Supporter

Return to Ricoh GXR M