GXR M Mount, adapter and vintage SLR lenses

Discussion about Ricoh GXR M-mount module and lenses

GXR M Mount, adapter and vintage SLR lenses

Postby RDM » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:52 am

If you had to choose one lens adapter for your GXR M Mount with the aim of obtaining a few "budget-ish" manual focus SLR lenses to play around with, which one would it be ?

I'm looking for a "sweet spot" in terms of quality, price and availability.

I'm thinking M42 or Pentax K Mount.

Good idea, bad idea, anything else I would be better off with ?

All advice will be gratefully accepted. Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Rohan
RDM
Site Supporter

Re: GXR M Mount, adapter and vintage SLR lenses

Postby olch » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:36 am

for me it is M42 for sure
olch

Postby RDM » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:48 am

Thanks for you input olch.

Despite the overwhelming support for the M42 mount over the Pentax K Mount (1 to 0) I am still tempted to start with a K Mount adapter just because there seems to be more of these sort of lenses around at pretty good prices. I also prefer the "snap on" type arrangement over screw fittings.

Now I have a question in regards to M Mount adapters to Pentax K Mount lenses. I'm too much of a cheapskate to spring for a Novoflex or Rayqual at the moment. So I'm looking at brands like Fotodiox or Kipon. Kipon seem to have designed theirs to work specifically with the GXR and even have one that is supposed to work with Pentax PK Autofocus lenses (as well the K, M and A manual focus lenses). Does anyone have any experience with any of these or any other suggestions or advice they could offer ?

Cheers

Rohan
RDM
Site Supporter

Postby zmix » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:55 am

I have used my Zeiss T* Contax SLR Lenses with great results via the Fotodiox Contax / Yashica to Leica M adapter ($29).

http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/contax ... apter.html

I also have an M42 adaptor. The quality of available lenses isn't nearly as good as the Contax / Zeiss, though I love my Industar 61 50mm f/2,8 macro.
zmix

Postby Tom Caldwell » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:35 pm

I bought the PK adapter early, moved to FD, then settled on M42. Most things adapt to M42, I even have DKL to M42 then M42 to LM.

I also prefer Takumar M42 lenses to the later Pentax PK versions.

Many if not most M42 adapters these days have fixing screws that allow the lens to be correctly oriented in the adapter. But I rarely bother with a fix unless the scale is completely upside down, which is rare.

Lots of nice M42 lenses. The Mir 20M 20/3.5 for one or its near relatives the various Ziess Flektogons.

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby Ricohfanboy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:34 pm

One thing to keep in mind -- in favor of M42: If you want to focus very precisely, you will have to do it with an open aperture. Many M42 lenses feature an auto-manual switch that you can use to open and close the aperture. I have used a Rikenon 50/1.7 in M42 to great effect with that set-up (and with a real cheap Chinese M42 adapter, too). No Pentax K-mount lens features a switch like that (all K mount cameras being capable of open-aperture metering/focussing). So, in order to have something comparable, you'd have to spring the money for a Novoflex (which has an aperture open/close-ring, not quite as handy as the switch).

On the other hand: Pentax-M lenses are easily the best deal in the world for high-quality, yet affordable lenses: They have good coatings, are small, optically nigh-perfect and very well-made mechanically. Because of this, they were sold by the bucket load, and are cheap today as a consequence. Even a 50/1.4 does not cost very much -- the reason also being that modern Pentax DSLRs can only use Pentax-M lenses with "green button" metering. The next generation of Pentax K mount lenses (Pentax-A) are so much easier to use on DLSRs that they command higher prices, even when the optical formula hadn't changed.

Here's a thought: Why not buy a K-mount adapter -- and an M42/K mount adapter ring? These are easy enough to find, cost very little (15 bucks or so), and you can mix and match K-mount and M42 lenses on your GXR!
Ricohfanboy

Postby RDM » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:00 am

Many, many thanks to everyone for all the replies and advice.

At the moment I've decided to concentrate on the Pentax M Series because of the affordability factor. I have rapidly aquired very nice examples of the following lenses - 24/2.8, 28/3.5, 35/2.8 and 50/1.7. All except the 24/2.8 were bought for $40-$80 (except for the 24/2.8 which was a bit pricier). These beautifully built little lenses seem to be great value for money. I also bought a Fotodiox adapter rather than a Novaflex so it looks like my manual focusing skills will get a work out. If I struggle too much then a Novoflex might be on the agenda.

I guess the future may hold an M42/K mount adapter ring also. Depending on how I cope with the lens I've bought.

Thanks again for helping.

Cheers

Rohan
RDM
Site Supporter

Postby Tom Caldwell » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:56 am

RDM wrote:Many, many thanks to everyone for all the replies and advice.

At the moment I've decided to concentrate on the Pentax M Series because of the affordability factor. I have rapidly aquired very nice examples of the following lenses - 24/2.8, 28/3.5, 35/2.8 and 50/1.7. All except the 24/2.8 were bought for $40-$80 (except for the 24/2.8 which was a bit pricier). These beautifully built little lenses seem to be great value for money. I also bought a Fotodiox adapter rather than a Novaflex so it looks like my manual focusing skills will get a work out. If I struggle too much then a Novoflex might be on the agenda.

I guess the future may hold an M42/K mount adapter ring also. Depending on how I cope with the lens I've bought.

Cheers

Rohan

Go for it Rohan, the MF lens world is your oyster. Easy to get hooked by all these cheap lenses - when they cost $800 each you tend to get addicted more slowly.

With MF the lens itself is often old and can be out of adjustment so a perfectly adjusted Novoflex may not be much help. Many Chinese sourced adapters focus a little past infinity to sort out lens variations. Unfortunately this is put down to poor quality manufacture of the adapters when they were just trying to be helpful ;) In any case it might be easier to put up with a little past infinity focus than to reset some errant lenses to perfect infinity focus.

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby Blow-in » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:45 pm

This is a very useful thread. I'm contemplating 3 courses of action with my GXR and this is very helpful in forming some ideas. They are:

1 - stick with just the A12 50 and fight the gear acquisition syndrome

2 - add the A12 28 module (becoming quite hard to find)

3 - go down the M module route then acquire some cheapish lenses to give a wide to short telephoto spread (I'm attracted to the M42 route). I'n very comfortable using the A12 50 as a manual lens so the M module is very attractive.

I've discounted the A16 module after a bit of soul searching - I just can't warm to it despite some wonderful photos posted on this site.

Richard
Blow-in
Site Supporter

Postby kuuan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:14 pm

RDM wrote:Many, many thanks to everyone for all the replies and advice.

Cheers

Rohan

very well done!
I am a declared Takumar fan, had been using pretty much Takumars only for a few years and own most ever made ;)
However lately I rather have been using Pentax M and Pentax K lenses for the convenience of the bayonet mount mount and Pentax M for being lighter and smaller, the almost pancake like 1.7/50 is a real gem! Some Ks imo outperform the Taks, your f2.8/24mm may outperform the 3.5/24 Takumar. I suppose your's is the Pentax K, also called Pentax SMC ( as is written on it ) for there is no Pentax M 2.8/24. Nevertheless some Taks have something special going on for sure ;)
my photos taken with manual lenses on GXR M, Sony NEX5N, Pentax K-x and *istDs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/collections/72157604973031858/
kuuan

Next

Return to Ricoh GXR M