GXR M Mount, adapter and vintage SLR lenses

Discussion about Ricoh GXR M-mount module and lenses

Re: GXR M Mount, adapter and vintage SLR lenses

Postby RDM » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:41 am

Hi Tom.

I modelled the adapter myself in CAD - after measuring the flange to focal plane distance off the Agfa Ambi Silette camera which came with the lenses and doing the simple sums to match it the M Mount flange to focal plane distance. Then had it "printed" at my workplace and attached a Leica lens flange which I bought off eBay using the appropriate sized screws.

The Agfa Ambi Silette is an interchangeable lens version of the earlier Agfa Silette I believe.

The original Agfa mount itself is a clever piece of engineering which was going to be too complex for me to replicate accurately - so I didn't try. Its basically 3 small tabs which rotate into a groove in the inner lens barrel to capture and hold the lens in place. I waited for a while to see if a non working or scrap-able Agfa Ambi Silette came up for sale anywhere so that I could pilfer the crucial working parts to replicate it exactly but had no luck. I settled on 3 hex key grub screws instead which just screw down through the adapter into the same groove in the inner lens barrel which the aforementioned tabs locate into.

it's certainly not a "quick change" system but does the job securely enough.

The aluminium ones wll be CNC machined using the same CAD model.

I would be happy to share the CAD model/design with anyone who wanted it.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.

Cheers

Rohan
RDM
Site Supporter

Postby Tom Caldwell » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:40 pm

RDM wrote:Hi Tom.

I modelled the adapter myself in CAD - after measuring the flange to focal plane distance off the Agfa Ambi Silette camera which came with the lenses and doing the simple sums to match it the M Mount flange to focal plane distance. Then had it "printed" at my workplace and attached a Leica lens flange which I bought off eBay using the appropriate sized screws.

The Agfa Ambi Silette is an interchangeable lens version of the earlier Agfa Silette I believe.

The original Agfa mount itself is a clever piece of engineering which was going to be too complex for me to replicate accurately - so I didn't try. Its basically 3 small tabs which rotate into a groove in the inner lens barrel to capture and hold the lens in place. I waited for a while to see if a non working or scrap-able Agfa Ambi Silette came up for sale anywhere so that I could pilfer the crucial working parts to replicate it exactly but had no luck. I settled on 3 hex key grub screws instead which just screw down through the adapter into the same groove in the inner lens barrel which the aforementioned tabs locate into.

it's certainly not a "quick change" system but does the job securely enough.

The aluminium ones wll be CNC machined using the same CAD model.

I would be happy to share the CAD model/design with anyone who wanted it.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.

Cheers

Rohan

Rohan

I am an accountant and not used to CAD but I did play around with one of the early DOS based light-CAD programs for the basic idea quite a few years ago and I did a year of "Technical Drawing" at school. But that hardly qualifies me as CAD-aware. But I am interested in 3D printing for its possibilities and have downloaded a couple of "free" CAD programs to see if I can get my head around them. It might take me a little while to do so - especially with all my other interests. I think I could get a grip on it after a suitable amount of hair-tearing - all those hard learned manual drawing methods so hard learned at school now renedered not necessary by the wonders of computer technology!

I was interested becasue I could see that your screw on flange would work well and the rest of the adapter would be a fairly simple tube but the camera end mount (which I do not know) would be a more complex thing indeed. I relate to the Altix mount which is a simple breech lock but a heavy engineering exercise to replicate. I have bought a couple of old Altix cameras to see if I could "pirate" their mount but it adds all sorts of dimensional difficulties that I just don't wish to know about and of course you can only have as many "adapters" as you can get Altix host bodies.

Luckily the Altix flange focal length is almost identical to M42/PK. In fact I managed to calculate that the mating flange itself is slightly different to the measured distance which seems to be the centre of the Altix locking tabs. It then becomes exactly the same as M42 which leads me to think that the Altix mount was a simple conversion of the M42 dimensions to a breech lock bayonet type intended perhaps to rival the plug twist and lock K mount. But it is quite hard to change the mount to M42 because the dimensions are in fact so tight.

My process is irreversable but of course Altix mount lenses are only really useful on Altix mounts otherwise. Much the same with Agfa lenses.

My Silette would be circa 1960 when bought new and most likely made late 1950's. Pretty basic - straight fixed optical viewfinder - limited shutter speed - fixed lens - no light meter. I did manage just a few keepers and quite a few early teens type images of things that might be worth photographing at the time. But lack of funds to buy and develop film made sure that my talents remained quite hidden. How different photography became in the digital age - it is now all so easy. Now we find and recycle old lenses so that we can suffer some "photographer's pain". ;)

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby RDM » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:46 am

Hi Tom.

If you need anything 3D CAD modelled for your project just send me a sketch with enough views and dimensions on it and I'll sort it out.

I can then give you a file that you can send to one of the 3D printing companies (there are many online) and have your parts made out of a structual plastic like nylon. Alternatively you can send them to a CNC mill company which will be able to cut them out of steel or aluminium for you.

Cheers

Rohan
RDM
Site Supporter

Postby Tom Caldwell » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:31 am

Thanks Rohan, I will bear that in mind, I am of the inventive type of mind.

I have just made myself a "Long Tom" which is a device after the Clearviewer type made up out of scratch components - the only trouble is that the distance from the lcd to the lens varies acording to the lens in use and the sweet focus spot on my version is actually 5 1/4" or 350mm from the lcd screen and of course my version does not fold which makes it quite cumbersometo use. But it dos work well. If I could find a correct magnification lens I am sure that I could make a "Short Tom" as well.

The essence of this device is as mch that it requires the slr type grip with eye to the lens. This makes for a much better stance and grip with the camera held like an slr. Even if it might look "odd" it is practical.

I have a half assembled 3D printer kit but when it came to the electronics side it stalled as I want to do it correctly then a few family matters interfered. Just as soon as I can I will get back to it. I see 3D printing as a huge area that will be developed exponentially once it takes root. The bureaus will get all the metal printing jobs forever as this is well beyond the small home applications.

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby RDM » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:57 pm

Finally got some adapters built in aluminium.
Agfa_lens_adpater_1.JPG
Agfa_lens_adpater_1.JPG (109.89 KiB) Viewed 1228 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:53 pm
Focus length: 4.12 mm
Shutter speed: 1/33 Sec
F-number: F/2.2
ISO speed rating: 250
Whitebalance: Auto
Flash: Flash did not fire
Camera-model: IPhone 5s
Exposure program: Normal program
Metering mode: Pattern

Agfa_lens_adapter_2.JPG
Agfa_lens_adapter_2.JPG (111.31 KiB) Viewed 1227 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:53 pm
Focus length: 4.12 mm
Shutter speed: 1/33 Sec
F-number: F/2.2
ISO speed rating: 250
Whitebalance: Auto
Flash: Flash did not fire
Camera-model: IPhone 5s
Exposure program: Normal program
Metering mode: Pattern

Here's a few recent shots as well.

Seascape shot with 35mm Agfa lens.
Cape_Schank_Agfa_Lens.jpg
Cape_Schank_Agfa_Lens.jpg (188.15 KiB) Viewed 1224 times

Macro using reverse ring on 50mm Pentax lens.
Succulent_Reverse_Macro_Pentax_Lens.jpg
Succulent_Reverse_Macro_Pentax_Lens.jpg (189.03 KiB) Viewed 1231 times

Melbourne White Night Festival shot with 24mm Pentax lens.
Melbourne_White_Night_Pentax_Lens_1.jpg
Melbourne_White_Night_Pentax_Lens_1.jpg (132.81 KiB) Viewed 1225 times

Melbourne_White_Night_Pentax_Lens_2.jpg
Melbourne_White_Night_Pentax_Lens_2.jpg (295.37 KiB) Viewed 1226 times

Melbourne_White_Night_Pentax_Lens_3.jpg
Melbourne_White_Night_Pentax_Lens_3.jpg (256.65 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
RDM
Site Supporter

Postby Tom Caldwell » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:02 am

Congratulations Rohan, it looks like you have cornered the adapter business - Agfa-LM :)

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby RDM » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:57 am

Thanks Tom.

Sales forecasts are high - at least that's what I told the shareholders.

Cheers

Rohan
RDM
Site Supporter

Postby Tom Caldwell » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:58 am

One off would be a lot of work, someone best place an order for 500 to make it worth running the lathe :?

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby RDM » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:49 am

Have just gotten back from holidays where I used only the Nikkor IX 20-60mm lens shown earlier in this thread. I also tried playing with some of the JPEG image settings - B&W(TE), Vivid and Toy Camera. For anyone who is interested here are some of the results.
HANOI_CATHEDRAL.jpg
HANOI_CATHEDRAL.jpg (89.82 KiB) Viewed 943 times

GRADUATION_DAY.jpg
GRADUATION_DAY.jpg (98.8 KiB) Viewed 936 times

DERELICT_RAILWAY.jpg
DERELICT_RAILWAY.jpg (100.5 KiB) Viewed 941 times

TALKING_WALL.jpg
TALKING_WALL.jpg (126.12 KiB) Viewed 938 times

YOU_OTE.jpg
YOU_OTE.jpg (96.85 KiB) Viewed 932 times

HOTEL_COLOURS.jpg
HOTEL_COLOURS.jpg (118.96 KiB) Viewed 942 times

TOY_TOWN.jpg
TOY_TOWN.jpg (162.55 KiB) Viewed 934 times

OSSHOLE.jpg
OSSHOLE.jpg (80.57 KiB) Viewed 936 times

FLOATING_LANTERNS.jpg
FLOATING_LANTERNS.jpg (54.31 KiB) Viewed 943 times

BLADERUNNER_SUNSET.jpg
BLADERUNNER_SUNSET.jpg (40.75 KiB) Viewed 947 times
RDM
Site Supporter

Postby Tom Caldwell » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:14 pm

I think one of the objects of travel photography is to capture the atmosphere of the place visited. You have done well here.

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh GXR M