Fight! GXR A12 28/2.5 vs. GF2 14/2.5 vs. DP1x 28/4

Discussion about Ricoh GXR system

Re: Fight! GXR A12 28/2.5 vs. GF2 14/2.5 vs. DP1x 28/4

Postby TMP » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Well...

Some of you know that I sold my Ricoh GR D III for a GF1 with its 40mm f1.7 lens (in 35mm format).

I am now seriously considering going back to Ricoh and go for a GXR with the A12 28mm f2.5 module. However, I have to look deeper into the compatibility of optical view finders with the GXR (see here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=6175).

That being said, given the sensor size of the Panasonic GFx series, it is noisier -- both in terms of image quality AND sound (a big issue for street photography). More importantly, there is no decent manual focus capabilities when working with an optical view finder on the GFx series (another big issue for street photography). As for the Sigma, its sensor is bigger but suffice to say that the lens starts at f4 and that you either love or hate the Foveon output.

So, Ricoh it is, once more.
TMP

Postby Remko » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:49 pm

The configurable snap focus distance of the GXR is very nice for street photography. Also the in-focus scale when using manual focus is great (only found this one out recently) in manual focus the distance scale has a green bar that shows what distance is in focus given the focus distance and the selected aperture.

I chose to purchase the digital view finder with my GXR, gives me full info.

Wouter used the GXR 28 together with an OVF to his liking: http://wouter28mm.wordpress.com/2011/03 ... pressions/

Regards Remko
GXR: A12/28, A12/50 & P10; GX100; R5; Ricoh RDC-300 (retired)
http://www.RemkoWestrik.nl
Remko
Site Supporter

Postby madmaxmedia » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:12 am

Ouch at the high ISO comparison shots, the GF2 and DP look terrible (seems mostly due to bad RAW work.)

Too bad they did not use Adobe for all 3.
madmaxmedia

Postby streetshooter » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:02 am

madmaxmedia wrote:Ouch at the high ISO comparison shots, the GF2 and DP look terrible (seems mostly due to bad RAW work.)

Too bad they did not use Adobe for all 3.

Well, there's so much more involved then just simple Image comparisons. When I was the Admin at M-43 I had a few cameras but more importantly, I had access to everything in the M43 realm. The technology development is unmatched by any other format so far. That being said, it doesn't amount to a hill of beans. The DP series and any and all M43 cameras don't hold a candle to the GXR.
The GXR is a camera for shooters. Maybe when one gets a GXR they aren't that serious about what's going on but they eventually fall into the discovery of images.
The M43 cameras and unfortunately the DP's from Sigma don't have the same energy. The are great cameras for the enthusiast. That's great but for the real shooters, they need a camera with a very intelligent interface and most importantly, a camera that doesn't interfere with the shooters process. The GXR does that. Once set up, it gets out of the way and if you get stuck on a setting etc, it's just a button push to get back in the groove.

So, let them all compare IQ, ISO all the good stuff. Let them talk about the speed and accuracy of their AF system. Let them all talk about how great their new lens is....
The GXR shooters don't have time to talk about that stuff because they are too busy making images.

I'm not a fanboy for Ricoh. I'm a dead serious shooter that makes images because it's my life's work. I could use any camera I want but I use the GXR because it works....bunk to anything else....
Don
streetshooter
Site Supporter

Postby CHICHORNIO » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:55 am

streetshooter wrote:The M43 cameras and unfortunately the DP's from Sigma don't have the same energy. The are great cameras for the enthusiast. That's great but for the real shooters, they need a camera with a very intelligent interface and most importantly, a camera that doesn't interfere with the shooters process.

and...
streetshooter wrote:'m not a fanboy for Ricoh. I'm a dead serious shooter that makes images because it's my life's work.

I have to disagree on both sentences that you posted (sorry for my english).
Opposite to you, I´m a fanboy of Ricoh´s cameras (I own GRD1, GRD2 and a one of the first Ricoh´s Digicam, the RDC-2). Besides that, I´m a fan of image quality. I´m not a Pro, I´m a "very" enthusiast photographer but I know what I´m doing. I´m still waiting for Ricoh´s to awake and release a GRD5 maybe? with a APS-C sensor and a fixed NORMAL lens (Hey, Ricoh!!! Wake Up!!!!). Or I´ll buy the new DP2 Merril and sell my latest love, the DP2s.
Until then, I´m very-very pleased of the image that the DP2s delivers. No more words... Just take a look at this file. You can download it uncompressed from dropbox (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7858877/The%20F ... Towels.tif).
Developed with Sigma Photo Pro v. 5. I think the image speaks for itself (in terms of IQ of course. You can like the picture or not). The exif it´s on the Tif file.
CHICHORNIO

Postby streetshooter » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:24 am

To start, your English is fine.
I never said that the M43 cameras and the DP's weren't any good or didn't make good images. What I said was that they don't have the whole package. They don't hols a candle to the GXR. I stand by that and will explain somewhat more.

The DP's are wonderful as far as IQ goes. There's a certain depth in the images that is unmatched by any digital camera. I have the DP1, 1s 2, 2s. The interface sucks. The AF is slow and not always accurate. I don't see these things as a negative just something to adapt to.
THe M43 cameras are also very nice. The Pen's and the GF series are great for the street. Once again the interface leaves something to, well...lets just say, it's not my cup of tea.
I state again that I was the Admin at Mu-43 and also at Serious Compacts. I have exposure to almost every camera out there. I own many, many Leica's and many, way to many Leica lenses.

All this brings me to the GXR. The camera has a wonderful interface. The IQ is very very good with a great sensor and more lensors and mounts on the way.
So, as a shooter, the GXR gives us a very nice handling camera with a real shooters interface with IQ that satisfies all but the large format purist from ages ago.

So, there are many choices of cameras but my interest is photography and image making. I don't care about technical things when I'm making images. Because of that, I don't want technical things getting in my way when I'm working.

If I were you, I'd keep the Sigma's. They are too good to let go of. Once you surrender to the camera, not much can touch it.
As far as your dream of an APS-C 28mm camera.... I'm living it with the GXR....
Thanks for responding, it's much appreciated....
Don
streetshooter
Site Supporter

Postby CHICHORNIO » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:43 am

Thanks for answering my post! I think we are in the same train... but... Why Ricoh don´t release a "GXR-like" as a new GRD V camera with a fixed "normal" lens and a medium size sensor? I remember many-many owners of Ricoh´s cameras of this Forum (including myself and the Administrator) praying for that dream to come true as far as 2009! And then the Leica X1 came out, later the Fuji X-100, and so on...
I love the Ricoh´s interface, but I don´t believe in the GXR system. Technology evolves faster than we can imagine...and the GXR will remain a few years from now as a "very good idea" from Ricoh.
Best Regards
Guillermo, from Argentina
CHICHORNIO

Postby CHICHORNIO » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:56 am

One further explanation... Although I´m not a Pro Photographer, I consider myself a Pro Printmaker. I own a Print Facility with two high-end printers: HP Designjet z3200ps 44" wide (pigment based) and a HP Designjet 130nr 24" (dye based). I usually work with very IQ files and others very amateurs. Printing is my expertise... and my business. So Ricoh, listen to my pray! Give me the GRD V that I´m dreaming of so I can shot, develop and print my own work.
CHICHORNIO

Postby streetshooter » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:01 am

Ya know....I had the X100 and the X1. I sold both. Good cameras but issues that intruded on my visual process.
No doubt the GXR is a walking dead camera. All are, bar none. The thing is, in 10 years, the GXR will still be a great camera.
I love the GRD's, I have a few. I like the gritty files from them.
The thing is, the magic of the GXR is that it allows you to reconfigure the camera to a new way your thinking.

We are on the same page. Take care my friend....
Don
streetshooter
Site Supporter

Postby CHICHORNIO » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:30 am

streetshooter wrote:The thing is, in 10 years, the GXR will still be a great camera.
I love the GRD's, I have a few. I like the gritty files from them.
The thing is, the magic of the GXR is that it allows you to reconfigure the camera to a new way your thinking.

Well, you could be right... But I´m 45 years old, and I can´t wait too long to show the "world" (it could be just me!) what I´m trying to do with my pictures. I want IQ pictures in the 35-50mm range in a camera that I can put in my pocket. Am I asking too much? Come on Ricoh, you can do it!
CHICHORNIO

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh GXR