hot GXR news! A12 28mm APSC pancake, GXR M mount and more!

Discussion about Ricoh GXR system

Re: hot GXR news! A12 28mm APSC pancake, GXR M mount and more!

Postby odklizec » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:50 am

I too hope for improvements in A12 AF area but honestly, I don't expect miracles. If they were not able to make the A12 AF faster during the years of GXR development, how can they make it faster now within few months? I expect some improvements, mainly in the AF precision and reliability. But I don't expect dramatic speed boost. Definitely not the same as GF1 with smaller sensor = less DoF = easier to focus with contrast detection.

As for the fast 28mm lens, I'm afraid, it would be too big and nowhere as good as is the Ricoh standard. I consider the f2.5 pretty impressive value for 28mm lens designed for APSC. There are not many 28mm lenses starting at something less than f2.8! And even many lenses starting at f2.8 are soft. I'm very surprised by the low profile of this new A12 28mm lens. It's another thing that is not very common for such wide and relative fast lens. We can only hope it will be as good as other Ricoh lenses ;)
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby Joshua » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:16 am

I cannot wait to get my hands on the 28mm lens unit! It will compliment the 50mm beautifully and be better for street photography for me (I usually like to get very close to my street subjects!)
Joshua
Site Supporter

Postby deejjjaaaa » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:41 am

odklizec wrote:Usually, 28mm (or similarly wide) lenses for APSC are either big and not very fast.

because they are not for APS-C, but for FF... the only APS-C primes (m4/3 and 4/3 excluding) around that range is Sigma 30/1.4, 3 next are 7mm off (+/-) = Nikon 35/1.8, Pentax DA 35/2.8 Macro, Pentax DA 21/3.2 and that's it (or more than 7mm off)... the rest are designed to cover FF
KX (.PEF) / GH2 (.RW2) / LX3 (.RW2) / DP2 (.X3F)
deejjjaaaa

Postby Albee » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:16 pm

An A12 40mm f/2.0... pancake... lovely dream ;)
Albee

Postby CHICHORNIO » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:05 pm

An A12 40mm f/2.0... pancake... lovely dream

My dream too! Will be better a 35mm 1.4-1.7 pancake!
CHICHORNIO

Postby Tom Caldwell » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:04 am

Hot from the Samsung NX10 trail where adapters are already legion and work really well. Once Ricoh get their teeth into making adapter modules they have a big bay to fill with lens mount types. They can concentrate on really old lenses with adapter rings and would need a Nikon, Canon FD, Olympus, Pentax and of course Leica adapter for a start and that does not even include more modern lenses without aperture control. But say they just stayed with the older lenses with adapter rings - to make an adapter module for all the types and I probably have not been comprehensive seems an exercise in logistics that might defeat the idea right from the start unless they just stick to the Leica mount.

However whilst we have the lego blocks out consider this possibility.

1) the camera back
2) a sensor/camera smarts universal Ricoh base adapter
3) a further fill adapter converting the base adapter to specific mounts - this must lock strongly to 2) and be a precision part
4) the lens of your choice that fits the specific adapter 3) above

Four parts to nirvana. Place the thing in aperture priority and suddenly Ricoh has the legacy lens market to play with - the camera will make a whole lot more sense until Ricoh gets around to filling up its range of sensor/lens modules.

From the Samsung point of view they at least had the smarts to come up with an adapter pretty quick and of course the enterprising Chinese workshops have a range of adapters out already - and the NX10 works really well with legacy lenses this way. Furthermore the NX10 lcd is good but not quite up to the lcd on the GXR. If the NX10 lcd is good enough to focus off then there is no doubt that the GXR is up to it as well.
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby thelps » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:56 am

Tom Caldwell wrote:the enterprising Chinese workshops have a range of adapters out already

What is the quality of these adapters like? A few posters have mentioned on the mFT forums that the cheaper Chinese adapters for mFT are more gritty and not as smooth mounting lenses. IMO the precious Leica lens mounts probably deserve the best adapter you can afford.
Tim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

| Ricoh GRD I Limited | Ricoh GRD II | Ricoh GRD III | Ricoh GRD IV | Ricoh GR | and some inspiration
thelps
Site Supporter

Postby Tom Caldwell » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:07 pm

I am only using cheap Pentax k mount lenses. The Chinese adapters are well made and work fine with them.

This is just a bit of cheap enjoyment not trying to get too exquisitely artistic.
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby odklizec » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:10 pm

I think the price of many Chinese adapters is so low that one can easily buy and try another adapter if the first one is not good? And the price including shipping will be still below the price of genuine adapter? But my experience with Chinese adapters is good. I bought several cheap step-up/down rings (and split-screen for E400) and all worked great. Of course, it could be just luck? ;)
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby Tom Caldwell » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:02 am

I have a pk->nx and a eos->nx both out of China and well made and finished both work well (dumb of course) they ar about 25% the price of Novoflex or Samsung oem adapters. But the latter two have an aperture control built in which makes them more sophisticated. But you hardly need the aperture control if the old manual lens has an aperture ring. I have a Novoflex pk->nx and it is also well made but of a different type of construction. As one might understand with a little thought the universal aperture control is just sliding lever without a graduation scale. But aperture control is available for lenses without an aperture ring.
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh GXR