hot GXR news! A12 28mm APSC pancake, GXR M mount and more!

Discussion about Ricoh GXR system

hot GXR news! A12 28mm APSC pancake, GXR M mount and more!

Postby odklizec » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:07 am

Great news folks! Ricoh displayed only recently introduced A12 28mm APSC at CP+ show (big Japanese photographic exhibition). And the very good news is that this new APSC based module is very slim (pancake-like design)!

But that's not all! Ricoh also displayed some more or less wild GXR prototypes in early stage of development and one of them is M-mount unit!
It's evident this unit is in very early stage of development. But it's very good news anyway!
UPDATE: Sadly, all these GXR "prototypes" appear to be fan creations and not actual GRX prototypes/mockups made by Ricoh. It's a complete mystery to me why they are displayed at Ricoh's booth? Who knows? Maybe they are "secret" Ricoh mockups and Ricoh just testing people's reactions? In any case, the fact is that all these mockups started serious interest amongst the photographic community. I have no doubt that GXR module with APSC/FF sensor and M mount would be a huge success amongst the professionals and photo geeks.

There was displayed also the recently announced P10 (CX3 based) unit...

You can see more photos and comments here:
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... html&twu=1

Images displayed in this post are courtesy of dc.watch.impress (very nice source of early Ricoh news;))
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Re: hot GXR news! A12 28mm APSC pancake, GXR M mount and more!

Postby Muddy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:11 am

They should have 28 mm ready for this spring, sure will help boost GXR sale. :D
Muddy
Site Supporter

Postby palec » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:58 am

Let them out!
palec

Postby palec » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:01 am

That Hasselblad SWC is funny, does it have multiple APS-C sensors stacked to cover 6x6? :)
palec

Postby thelps » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:06 am

Its interesting to note that the APS-C 28mm looks like a f2.5 so I think it leaves a niche for the GRD III as a smalller camera with f1.9 28mm lens.
Now here's hoping they will make improvements on focus speed.
Tim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

| Ricoh GRD I Limited | Ricoh GRD II | Ricoh GRD III | Ricoh GRD IV | Ricoh GR | and some inspiration
thelps
Site Supporter

Postby odklizec » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:24 pm

I don't know like others, but I'm very excited about A12 28mm module. The pancake-like design is total surprise to me. I would never expect so small and relative fast 28mm lens for APSC! This would make the GXR a very pocketable APSC camera. Usually, 28mm (or similarly wide) lenses for APSC are either big and not very fast. Or they are rather soft if wide open. I really hope this new Ricoh lens is built with traditional high Ricoh lens standards.

As for M mount module, I hope this one will surface soon (let's say in 1-1.5 year time frame). Many people may be disappointed by the lack of AF for this module. But I'm sure this option will be greatly welcome by many manual lenses lovers and maybe even Leica users, who may find the X1 rather expensive and limited. After my previous experience with manual lenses on digital camera, I can't really wait to try this new GXR option. Old manual lenses are usually very well built and their coating give the photos a very unique look and feel.

What's really important, Ricoh is evidently listening their users. It may take some time to introduce the final products, but it's very positive to see what they are working on.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby socket » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:44 pm

That 28mm looks good enough to buy. :D

Wow, is that camera dirty! Surely, they must be worried that dust will get on the sensor! :lol:
A happy GX100 and GXR owner - http://www.pbase.com/socket
socket
Site Supporter

Postby BillBingham2 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:49 am

Anyone have an idea what the new letter in front of the new zoom module, "P" stands for. The S seems to mean 1/1.7 sized sensor, an A seems to mean APS-C (not sure if it's Canon or Everyone else), what could P mean?

Perhaps M4/3 size sensor?

Does it mean something completely different? Were they just watching Wheel of Fortune when the picked and name?

Who ever loaned the Leica 35 'Cron for the mockup is really into photography. It's a version VI, the Bokeh King, very sought after in M circles.

B2 (;->
BillBingham2

Postby palec » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:35 am

BillBingham2 wrote:Anyone have an idea what the new letter in front of the new zoom module, "P" stands for. The S seems to mean 1/1.7 sized sensor, an A seems to mean APS-C (not sure if it's Canon or Everyone else), what could P mean?

Perhaps M4/3 size sensor?

A for APS-C sensor
S for small sensor
and
P for pico sensor?
palec

Postby brew » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:49 pm

An A12 28mm f/1.7 would be fine. Even beter an A12 35mm f/1.4; for me the ideal walk around lens.

I hope they fix also the AF-speed soon. If this problem not resolved within a reasonable time, then I'm afraid that this intriguing modelar system is doomed to die.

By the way, I can not imagine that there are photographers who are interested in the S series modules for this camera. Such a beautiful camera with a small CCD lens/module is pearls before swine. For me is the APS-C the bare minimum for serious photography.
brew

Next

Return to Ricoh GXR