quick test of GXR + A12 + VF2 + GF1 - what should I test?

Discussion about Ricoh GXR system

Re: quick test of GXR + A12 + VF2 + GF1 - what should I test?

Postby odklizec » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:14 am

Great start Wouter! I'm glad to hear the package safely arrived! ;) Enjoy the camera as much as I did!
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby Wouter » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:28 pm

Thank you Pavel.

My impressions so far. The 50mm focal length is a joy to use, but the AF isn't really fast and comparable to SLR lenses. I do however think it is fair to compare it to for instance the GRD3. For nearby subjects it all becomes a different story. The AF becomes less accurate and with too little contrast starts hunting for a focus point. Manual focus works really well, but twisting the front barrel can take ages. A bit too long travel in my opinion.

The lens works remarkable well in low light and gives a pleasant glow to the mid tones. When it comes to processing the DNG's I think Lightroom 3 beta and Capture One 5 do an excellent job, but I am in particular impressed with the in-camera B&W jpegs. Lovely tonality and many subtleties. There is some banding going on at ISO 3200, but can be fixed in processing with making the blacks darker. I had still hoped they fixed it with the latest firmware.

Like Pavel I only used the camera in the cold and today it also snowed the entire day. The camera still keeps working without any problems, despite all the electronics. And speaking of electronics, I really like the VF2 electronic viewfinder. It works even very good in low light situations.

Ricoh also supplied us with the GF1 flash, but I absolutely see no purpose for me to actually use it. Even more so, because I personally don't like flash photography.

See here below some of the photographs I took with the GXR and the A12. Most of these were B&W in-camera jpegs with some mild editing in Photoshop.

More will follow on my blog later this week and the weekend after I handed the camera over to Cristian in Amsterdam.
Wouter

Postby rui fernandes » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:48 am

Pavel, I need a fave button here!! What a fabulous set of photos from Wouter!! double WOW!
R3(2xRIP) + R4 (1xRIP+1xStoled) + GX200(1xRIP+1xStoled+1xsecond hand)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruinog/collections/
rui fernandes
Site Supporter

Postby 33dollars » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:40 am

I'll triple that WOW! Wouter's use of light has given use stunning art. :D A joy to view.
33dollars
Site Supporter

Postby thelps » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:11 am

Wouter the GXR suits you! ;)
Tim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

| Ricoh GRD I Limited | Ricoh GRD II | Ricoh GRD III | Ricoh GRD IV | Ricoh GR | and some inspiration
thelps
Site Supporter

Postby silvio » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:13 pm

what could i say ...
Wouter: that really is Rock'n Roll :o
I'm your Fan :ugeek:
Cheers, Silvio
silvio

Postby silverbullet » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:55 pm

I'm really impressed by the photographs! 50mm isn't that bad.... ;) .
How about the electronic viewfinder? Will it sqeeze the inside screen up to a low contrast and bright something?

Cheers
Bernd
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36573929@N00/
silverbullet
Site Supporter

Postby aydemiru » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:12 pm

Wouter, each one of your set is wonderful, but number 9..I wanted to have a bigger wallet and endless rain to stop.
aydemiru

Postby johnny9fingers » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:13 am

Thanks Pavel & Wouter for testing the GXR and providing so many wonderful photos not only to quantify the image quality, but also to enjoy as they are beautiful pictures. It would be interesting to see how the GXR would compare to the Leica X1 since it has the same size senor as the A12 unit. And I hope Ricoh will share information regarding upcoming sensor/lens units....
Thanks again for the information and wonderful photos....
John
johnny9fingers

Postby reddevil1909 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:52 am

Thanks for the sample photos, I'm impressed by the high iso photos they seems even better than the Leica X1 to me and that camera as also problems with slow AF and manual focusing is a real disaster with that camera.
When there are more modules will come of the GXR I'm considering not to buy a DSLR but a smaller one like this. I've now a Minolta DSLR of 5 years old and the Ricoh GX200 and must say for landscapes (what I mostly do) is the small one doing very well and the weight you don't feel in your rucksack and this is an important point for me.
reddevil1909

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh GXR