quick test of GXR + A12 + VF2 + GF1 - what should I test?

Discussion about Ricoh GXR system

Re: quick test of GXR + A12 + VF2 + GF1 - what should I test?

Postby silverbullet » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:18 pm

Would it be helpful to post the test results of a german Photomagazine?
Is there a copy right issue?

The test results are very good - from both modules, a very small drawback is the different color rendition of the small and the larger sensor (CCD ./. CMOS).
But from noise (both), resolution etc. both module are on a level of DSLR High range (A12) and slightly under this very high level for A10.

Bernd
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36573929@N00/
silverbullet
Site Supporter

Postby ricohlizer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:56 pm

i want to know how much better the s 10 module is over gx200 in terms of iso perf both at 64 and high isos too, also the useability and handeling , the menus, the speed to focus,and whatever other parameters you casn concieve vs the gx 200 the s10 module has a different sensor than the gx200`s
ricohlizer

Postby odklizec » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:49 pm

At the moment, I can't tell you anything about S10. I got only A12 module for this time limited test. But I suppose the ISO performance should be as good or better as GRDIII performance. From all S10 samples I saw up to now is evident that if nothing else, there is no evidence of vertical banding found in GRDIII high ISO files. So in a theory, the S10 performance should be better than GRDIII and miles ahead of GX200. Speed of S10 AF should be similar to speed of GRDIII AF, which is pretty good (considering it's contrast detection based AF).
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby odklizec » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:29 am

Uploaded 3rd batch of test samples, this time mainly from night streets (see the initial post). And also this time, most of them were taken with high ISO ;) Seriously, there is nothing wrong about A12 ISO performance.

My trial period is almost over. I'm now charging the battery for Wouter, who is the next lucky person in the line to try this sample. I hope he will like it as much as I did and post some more samples and share his opinion about GXR+A12.

I hope you enjoyed my "first look" comments and hopefully found them useful? Later this week I will post some edited versions of photos form A12 (not yet posted).
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby uKrris » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:22 pm

Pavel, thanks for your great effort. Very interesting both photos and comment ;)
Stay well, Chris.
( R2; GX100; GRD3 )
uKrris
Site Supporter

Postby purpledot » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:21 am

I'll second that - thanks a lot for a great and detailed job. Must have been fun :D
purpledot

Re: Would be Interesting to Compare with GF1 + 20/1.7

Postby viztyger » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:58 am

Hi Pavel,

Great work and a very interesting low light, high ISO set. Image quality looks very good, as was expected. Still, we can't draw any conclusions until a direct comparison with competing systems is possible. A very interesting comparison would be a low light test with my GF1 + 20mm/F1.7 "module" (I like the sound of that). You could set both cameras up to frame more or less the same scene (taking different focal lengths into account) and shoot at the same shutter speed. The Ricoh GXR A12 would profit from the larger sensor, the Panasonic GF1 20mm kit would benefit from the larger maximum aperture. For photographers who need as compact a kit as possible, It's also interesting that both kits weigh the same.

Of course there's a lot more to a camera than image quality alone, and both the Ricoh and the Panasonic will have their individual strengths and weaknesses. Hopefully I'll be able to briefly try out Wouter's GXR in Amsterdam on the 19th.

Björn
viztyger

Postby odklizec » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:55 pm

You are welcome guys! It was fun, but somewhat exhausting in such short period of time, full time job and little girl in one's tracks ;) I hope to get another sample with both lenses for a bit longer time.

Björn, I look forward to your and Wouter's comments about A12. I still think that comparing GXR 50mm Macro with GF1 40mm non-macro is somewhat unfair because of speed disadvantage of A12 caused by Macro construction. I really hope Ricoh will release something similar to Panasonic pancake?
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby odklizec » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:56 pm

BTW, I updated the initial post with HD video comment and short video clip.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby Wouter » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:47 am

The saga continues. I am not as systematic as Pavel in my testig, but I will try to shoot as much as possible, low light, day time, street, landscape, and everything in between before the camera goes to Cristian.

Wouter

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh GXR