quick test of GXR + A12 + VF2 + GF1 - what should I test?

Discussion about Ricoh GXR system

Re: quick test of GXR + A12 + VF2 + GF1 - what should I test?

Postby odklizec » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:22 pm

Unfortunately, this "limited-time" test sample will arrive without S10 module. Just A12, viewfinder and external flash. At least for now. I was told that I should get another sample when the situation improves. From what I heard, there is high demand for GXR (both modules). So as you can imagine, the main priority for Ricoh is to fulfill all pre-orders. Especially now before the Christmas :D So I guess the long-term samples will be available sometime early next year?
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby purpledot » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:00 pm

Although it may be difficult given the time of year and you mainly testing it after hours, it would be very beneficial to find out how the viewfinder works in strong sun - the one I have in my GX100 is useless when the sun is blazing.

Enjoy the testing - I know you will :D
purpledot

Postby odklizec » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:37 pm

The GXR arrived! The battery is charging now and I can't wait to take the first photo ;) Follow the initial post for some comments.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby pollobarca » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:31 pm

Lucky You! I am looking forward to seeing the pix.
paul
pollobarca
Site Supporter

Postby thelps » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:52 am

waloszek wrote:I am mostly interested in a (subjective) judgement about how much the GXR S10 module is an improvement regarding the GX100/200. From what I learnt up to now, high ISO performance is much better -- and that is really good news, because I was not impressed with my GX100/200 in that respect... Another issue was the painfully slow autofocus in macro mode, but that's not a suitable topic for night shots... Finally, corner sharpness could be an issue: My GX100 was perfect, the GX200 only to a lesser degree, and I sent most of our R/C's to Pirmasens (with little success...), because the corners (and more) were fuzzy.
Best regards, Gerd

I like Gerd's thinking here, if the GXR is to be a 'replacement' for the GX100/200 at least with the S10 module then a comparison would be interesting and a valid question.
Tim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

| Ricoh GRD I Limited | Ricoh GRD II | Ricoh GRD III | Ricoh GRD IV | Ricoh GR | and some inspiration
thelps
Site Supporter

Postby Reelacks » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:07 pm

Hi Pavel,Apart from most of the above requests,i would be interested to know how easy is manual focusing through the VF2?And particularly in low light situations.Thanks in advance. Tony. :)
Reelacks

Postby JRS11 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:46 pm

Thanks Pavel, wish you would have had the S10 module to try. I expect the press will slam this camera if the AF is slow (compared to a DSLR) and it is a Ricoh, not one of the big boys....time will tell......tell me about your feeling of the size in your hands compared to the GRD?

Thanks much as always

Joel
JRS11

Postby odklizec » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi Joel,

I hope to get both modules for long-term test sometime later when the initial buying madness will get over ;) Form what I heard, there is huge demand for GXR. And so there is not enough number of sample cameras.

GXR+A12 fits nicely in my palm. Probably even better than GRD+GW lens. Most probably because of size of GXR grip. The size is very well balanced and I can hide the camera in my autumn coat. Of course, without EVF. But it's definitely pocketable and without making the pocket too bulky and noticeable.

True, the A12 AF speed is on the slow side. But again, I'm quite sure it's mainly because of the Macro nature of A12 lens. Ricoh already proved (with CX1/2 and GRDIII) that they can do pretty fast contrast detection based AF. So all they need to do is to release another APSC based (non-macro) module. I'm quite sure this new module will be very fast AF performer.

But even despite slower AF and in my opinion somewhat underpowered speed of RAW continuous mode, A12 is a dream camera! If properly focused and exposed and with some fine tuning of JPEG settings, there is no problem using all ISO values and even without the need to go to RAW. I'm a RAW freak, but I like what I see in A12 JPEG. I will most probably still use RAW. But I would not mind to switch to JPEG in case of low space on SD card.

On the other hand, I would not recommend A12 to people used in small sensor DoF and to people who relies on Snap focus. Sadly, my trial time is almost over so I have no chance to try it side by side with GRDIII (in terms of usability to capture fast actions and scenes without the time to focus properly). But from what I saw up to now, I think the GRDIII will most probably beat A12 in this particular area. Maybe it was just my inexperience with A12 (due to short time of use), but I was unable to take a reasonable sharp photo of Lucia in movement. Something that was not problem with GRDIII and f1.9. Simply, the GRDIII DoF is often a serious advantage. But when it comes to portraits and the need to separate subject from background (and high ISO usability) there is no contest. A12 is a clear winner here.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby JRS11 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:48 pm

Thanks Pavel...the dilemma of course is that you can have one body to put the S10 on (some reports say it is as good as the GRDlll, some say not), and then you can maybe get a 35mm or 40mm non macro prime (I hope one day with an aps sensor, or 28 or whatever). For me macro is a non issue and I do not take pictures of my food before eating it ;). This camera still interests me, the GRDlll size is a perfect size but if I put on the 21 no more, and there is no 40mm for it as there was for the l and ll. So I am waiting for a trial unit from Popflash, I sure hope they get them sooner than later but I am waiting and not buying either. You would think with the price so high that Ricoh would do something for early adopters.

Thanks again

Joel
JRS11

Postby dearxh » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:13 pm

:) great! Hope more samples!
Btw,what is the difference between s10 and a12? Is there any noise when you turn on the camera? And how long is it from pressing the power button to completely usable?
dearxh

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh GXR