Some Polish photo jokes

Discussion about Ricoh GXR system

Some Polish photo jokes

Postby riccadonna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:36 pm

Hello friends. After seeing questers italian pict I decided to post some from Poland. It was the only trip abroad I made and not a very photographically successful one, meaning I wash`t focused enough on making pictures. Anyway I leave it to you all deciding what`s interesting what`s not. Stanislaw
GR002407web.jpg
just a landscape seen from the train
GR002407web.jpg (340.91 KiB) Viewed 1121 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:32 pm
Focus length: 18.3 mm
Shutter speed: 1/800 Sec
F-number: F/5
ISO speed rating: 100
Whitebalance: Auto
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Camera-model: GR
Exposure program: Not defined
Exposure bias: -7/10 EV
Metering mode: Center-weighted average
GR002708web.jpg
journey to nowhere, ok actually a part of coal mine museum
GR002708web.jpg (293.39 KiB) Viewed 1118 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:38 pm
Shutter speed: 1/1600 Sec
F-number: F/6.3
ISO speed rating: 800
Whitebalance: Manual
Exposure bias: -7/10 EV
R0034643web.jpg
landscape in back mirror
R0034643web.jpg (376.69 KiB) Viewed 1118 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:51 pm
Shutter speed: 1/1400 Sec
F-number: F/1
ISO speed rating: 400
Camera-model: GXR MOUNT A12
Exposure program: Aperture priority
Exposure bias: -10/10 EV
R0034645web.jpg
Odra river, left Germany right Poland
R0034645web.jpg (339.22 KiB) Viewed 1118 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:42 pm
Shutter speed: 1/2000 Sec
ISO speed rating: 200
R0034660web.jpg
that`s my stuff, street
R0034660web.jpg (425.79 KiB) Viewed 1117 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:26 am
Shutter speed: 1/380 Sec
R0034697web.jpg
just passing by on train
R0034697web.jpg (350.82 KiB) Viewed 1121 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:00 pm
Shutter speed: 1/2100 Sec
ISO speed rating: 400
R0039921web.jpg
sometimes we give damn for ad smartness, ad on the right says-I dip in it everyday, the one on the left- opportunity to choose your own path
R0039921web.jpg (316.25 KiB) Viewed 1121 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:39 pm
Shutter speed: 1/470 Sec
ISO speed rating: 200
Metering mode: Spot
R0039949web.jpg
could be me
R0039949web.jpg (423.93 KiB) Viewed 1122 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:58 pm
Shutter speed: 1/3200 Sec
Exposure bias: -20/10 EV
R0039954web.jpg
in the end it all hoopla
R0039954web.jpg (449.7 KiB) Viewed 1119 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:54 pm
Shutter speed: 1/1150 Sec
Exposure bias: -5/10 EV
Attachments
GR002727web.jpg
of course, can`t be missing, catholics in Poland, by the way me too.
GR002727web.jpg (498.06 KiB) Viewed 1118 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:23 am
Shutter speed: 1/800 Sec
F-number: F/4.5
ISO speed rating: 2500
Exposure bias: 0 EV
riccadonna

Re: Some Polish photo jokes

Postby quester » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:32 pm

The jokes are good!

Travel shots : there's something about them that are personal. Although you can manage to transfer the feeling of seeing (for example) beautiful scenery, the same scene will always convey something a bit more dramatic for the traveler : he is less familiar with it, so it seems even more impressive.

Good for you that you manage to take people shots when traveling - I'm not brave enough...

About the church, here is something I was disappointed to see in Italy : bars placed so that homeless can't rest in the space, outside a church (if that's what these bars are for). I see this also here in the city - bars placed over benches so that no one can lie down on them. Not flattering for any religion...
Attachments
30256147831_208c40797e_z.jpg
30256147831_208c40797e_z.jpg (114.64 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
quester
Site Supporter

Postby riccadonna » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:34 am

Yes, but it is sign of times unfortunately. I remember the churches in Poland in my young days were often open, som of them old ones with valuable paintings and other stuff in the and it was unthinkable to steal from there or to use it as a camping place. Look what happens now in Italy. Homeless migrants using them as shelters, often not respecting the religious character of place, the theft of art objects in italian churches is rampant, there are even desacrations carried out by enemies of christianity. Sad times indeed.
riccadonna

Postby quester » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:21 pm

riccadonna wrote:Yes, but it is sign of times unfortunately. I remember the churches in Poland in my young days were often open, som of them old ones with valuable paintings and other stuff in the and it was unthinkable to steal from there or to use it as a camping place. Look what happens now in Italy. Homeless migrants using them as shelters, often not respecting the religious character of place, the theft of art objects in italian churches is rampant, there are even desacrations carried out by enemies of christianity. Sad times indeed.

I suppose you are right - there are times when you have to adapt to your surroundings, whatever they might be.

On a previous trip to Italy six years ago, my wife and I entered a church to take refuge from a deluge - the door was open, no one was inside, and we entered and sat quietly for half an hour until the rain calmed down. Once there was a way in small places to develop mutual respect between the parish and the nearby residents, even those that have an inclination to crime. It sounds like movie-stuff, but I see it happen sometimes in other circumstances - a shop/business/farm earns the respect of its surroundings because of how it connects, and is left alone. But usually it seems that there is no red line.

I still think that bars on a bench are offending and inappropriate, and a symbol of what is wrong about how urban social problems are addressed.
quester
Site Supporter

Postby riccadonna » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:11 pm

Yes quester I do agree that bars are adore in the eye and how the social problems are solved. Still the bars are mounted that way that you are still allowed to sit there and not turn it in permanent squat. On other hand we have some places, included TownHall Square where some benches are occupied by romanian gipsies that use it in broad daylight as sleeping berths, around them lot of trash, even if there are trash bins, bus shelters taken by groups of them while some old passengers have to wait timidly aside.While it`s not only society fault, there`s lack of respect and craving attitude from some newcomers too.
riccadonna

Postby quester » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:35 pm

I believe that the homeless can be divided into types : the mentally ill, the poor that choose to be homeless, and the poor that would like to stop being homeless. The percentage of each group probably varies from place to place, dependent on many factors.
Violent or hostile architecture of various types, such as bars on benches or spikes on level places, is an ugly and offending solution, I think most would agree.
Housing and shelters that are properly maintained, with a sane long-term policy, seem to have potential.
Here's one place where this approach seemed to have succeeded :
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ins ... -millions/

Of course nothing in society is simple anymore...
quester
Site Supporter

Postby riccadonna » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:31 pm

queste I agree with you on general policy toward homeless. Help, training and understanding. But I was talking about another side of problem which America or Israel where you live haven`t experienced. I`m not talking about relatively known number of homies homeless, who for the most are native and understand the society that they live in. I`m talking about situation in Greece and Italy to where, after opening of Bulgarian and Rumanian borders, hundred of thousand gipsies went to beg on the streets. I`m talking about last two years over a million people getting int the Europe, majority of the not syrian refugees but young strong men, without job qualifications, just seeking better economic life, africans, maroccans, algerians, afghanis and they are not afraid of anybody. That`s the problem. There`re are already parts of big european cities where it`s pretty dangerous to venture after dark. Recently DHL stopped delivering in a quarter of Berlin because of robbing the vans. Look at Calais for example, do you have something like that in Israel? If they just respected the host country it would be much better. Most do but there`re enough of the few that don`t that cause problems.
riccadonna

Postby quester » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:57 pm

I understand - Europeans are facing a challenge that is a true test of what it means to be a country, a society, and a part of humanity. The country I live in certainly does not set an example of what we should be striving for, but I hope that a western liberal culture like the one that has been mostly existing in west Europe and North America for the past 60 years, will find a new cultural code that will strike the right balance between the rights of a nation to protect itself, and the obligation it has to reach out to those who have been devastated by wars or tragic circumstances. This issue should be addressed globally, as it is a global problem that will only get worse, and there should be universal laws that should bind everyone - immigrants and nationals alike - just like there are universal codes for war crimes and whatever. We should not let the pendulum start to stray to the extreme right, like what we are apparently seeing in the US and possibly parts of Europe.
quester
Site Supporter

Postby riccadonna » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:35 pm

I agree with you but unfortunately our problem is radical islam related. How do you integrate people that by definition in the long run dismiss the european values that in their eyes are contrary to sharia law. How do you employ woman that is forbidden to be near strange men, say patientas in hospital, how do you give job as a taxi driver to ma man who refuses to give hand to woman ( there was such case in Demnark, when a men denied a taxi driver job sued the company, nonwithstanding question, what if female customer falls, you are not going to help her up?). There were, alas bygone times, say after the war when arab countries were more open to western civilization like Egipt and Irak, right now the religious extremizm gain the terrain where normal tolerant and peace loving muslims are suffering too not talking about christians and jews. Shalom Stanislaw
riccadonna

Postby quester » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:57 am

That's exactly the situation that should be addressed : a new cultural code for the liberal West (we can't expect much from cultures that are not democratic/liberal), one in which the new citizens respect the cultural codes of the welcoming country, through enforcement if needed, and the older citizens allow the new citizens to manage their cultures in the areas in which they reside. The new citizens will have to choose for themselves how much of a compromise they're willing to make when they step outside of their comfort zone.

I'll give you an example, though it might not be a good comparison :
There are places in the country here that are populated mostly by Orthodox Jews. If I go there, I take it upon myself to behave in a way that respects their culture, even though I am not legally obliged to do so. I will decide myself if I want to attend a prayer service or not.
When an Orthodox Jew comes to my home, or area in which secular people like me reside, I expect him not to ask me to oblige him, and I will behave in my usual manner, even if it offends his culture. He will decide for himself if he wants to eat with me or not.

I have religious friends that when we meet, this is how we maintain our relations, and everything is OK. That doesn't mean that I will not continue to strive for making society more similar to my culture, and they will continue to fight for theirs.

But there has to be a feeling that each person can meet half-way in mutual respect. This is hard to attain, but should be the hope and expectation.

I see that there are Orthodox Jew of the younger generation, and ones from the older that are a bit more open-minded, who are beginning to see the rationale in this mutual respect, and they are starting to interact more than before with the secular society that they have usually shunned. Of course, the secular part of society also "loses" members who cross to the extreme religious side...

The enforcement of the law against crimes should be according to the culture of the majority. If this is not happening, then it is the failure of the majority.
quester
Site Supporter

Next

Return to Ricoh GXR