Viewfinder options...

Discussion about Ricoh GXR system

Viewfinder options...

Postby SimoninEaston » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:59 am

Hi- Happy New Year, everyone!

I'm struggling to use my GXR effectively without a viewfinder - couple of questions... First the obvious - has anyone got a VF-2 for sale?
Secondly, I know Olympus / Panasonic make similar external viewfinders - can I use them on a GXR if I come across one at the right price?
Lastly, does anyone want to comment on using a GV-1 or a GV-2? I understand they are optical only, and presumably don't zoom with the lens... but even so I think they'd be better for me than trying to frame shots using the screen.
SimoninEaston

Re: Viewfinder options...

Postby Blow-in » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:09 pm

Zoom - which lens are you using? I have had both GVs and have kept a GV-2 on my GRD4 for those days when I can't see the LCD. However, I never get a straight horizon with the OVF. I also has a VF-2 for a while on the GXR but gave up on it. Everything looked a bit blue through it and it adds a lot of bulk - however, even as a glasses wearer it was nice and sharp, had all the shooting data and is probably the way to go.

Richard
Blow-in
Site Supporter

Postby SimoninEaston » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:59 am

Thanks, Richard - the hunt is on :-)
SimoninEaston

Postby Blow-in » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:31 pm

SimoninEaston wrote:Thanks, Richard - the hunt is on :-)

Where in the World are you? Knowing may help something turn up.

Richard
Blow-in
Site Supporter

Postby SimoninEaston » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:19 pm

Bristol, UK
SimoninEaston

Postby Blow-in » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:43 pm

Simon,

Not much in the UK at the moment although it is worth trying a 'want to buy' thread.

Several in Japan:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Near-Mint-Ric ... 20f38096b7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K399-Near-Min ... 3cef922d02
(free shipping to UK and open to offers)

One in Italy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RICOH-VF-2-el ... 5d539633fe

Richard
Blow-in
Site Supporter

Postby SimoninEaston » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:43 am

Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to list those eBay items, Mr Blow-in... the "near mint" one is tempting! To be perfectly honest, for me the GXR (as well as another screen-only camera) is unusable without an EVF 'cos of my eyesight. I need reading glasses to see enough detail but often either don't have them with me, or else they're in a pocket and by the time I've fished them out and plonked them on my nose, the moment has long gone. I sometimes wonder how pro photographers of a certain age manage...!
SimoninEaston

Postby Blow-in » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:09 pm

SimoninEaston wrote:Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to list those eBay items, Mr Blow-in... the "near mint" one is tempting! To be perfectly honest, for me the GXR (as well as another screen-only camera) is unusable without an EVF 'cos of my eyesight. I need reading glasses to see enough detail but often either don't have them with me, or else they're in a pocket and by the time I've fished them out and plonked them on my nose, the moment has long gone. I sometimes wonder how pro photographers of a certain age manage...!

Yes, I'm of a 'certain age' too and have needed reading glasses for a bit over 15 years now and hate wearing them while out and about (it's not vanity, just the problems of judging distances while walking - you know the giant steps syndrome). The alternative of course is longer arms. The VF-2 is what you need I think if you can find one which is not easy at the moment. It has a diopter correction that is effective. And yet, I didn't really like it despite an upbringing with viewfinder cameras. The wonderful DOF of the small sensor GRD4 lets me get away with all sorts of liberties but it's not so easy with the GXR and I am frequently and disappointed when I review the results on the PC. So good luck with the hunt for the VF-2.

Richard
Blow-in
Site Supporter

Postby SimoninEaston » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:13 pm

Have ordered a VF-2 from Japan and am looking forward to its arrival... :-)
SimoninEaston

Postby Blow-in » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:26 pm

SimoninEaston wrote:Have ordered a VF-2 from Japan and am looking forward to its arrival... :-)

Sounds good - looking forward to hearing how well you like it.

Richard
Blow-in
Site Supporter

Return to Ricoh GXR