GXR VF-2 Viewfinder

Discussion about Ricoh GXR system

GXR VF-2 Viewfinder

Postby Tomktoo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Hi, I have been using my GXR for several months now with M12 mount and a variety of lens old and new. I really am impressed with the flexibility, user configurability and performance of this great camera so much so it is my camera of choice when I travel. No product is ever perfect and I have one issue that I wish I could improve and that is the VF-2 viewfinder. I really want to move it off the hot shoe and have made a bracket to move the VF-2 over to the left above the built in flash but I cant find a cable to extend the connector from the camera to the VF-2. Does anyone know of a source of this connector or make any other suggestion to achieve the relocation of the viewfinder.
Tomktoo

Re: GXR VF-2 Viewfinder

Postby riccadonna » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:00 pm

Just forget it . It`s one of small things I wished Ricoh would delight us making it and I`ve been writing about it years ago. My wish was 3 feet extension cord enabling me the over head, round the corner, frog view shots. No luck. By the way, why should you want to move of the hot shoe . To mount a flash unit I guess. What about a separate flash on a bracket triggered by built-in flash.
riccadonna

Postby Tomktoo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:25 pm

Hi Ric, many thanks for the reply. I guess having worked for a Major Japanese company I should have understood that listening to customers never seems to be a priority but one can always hope. I can understand as well that there may be constraints on the distance a certain kind of signal can be extended by way of an extension lead so even if I could source a suitable plug and socket it may not work effectively. I have a problem with my left eye due to shrapnel from an explosion many years ago so I need to use my right eye and this is difficult with another physical issue due to my large nose, well larger than most Japanese I am acquainted with. So I end up squinting through the viewfinder which is a shame as I really like this camera. Turn the camera on its side and I am in harmony with the machine. I like to keep both eyes open so it is becoming to be a struggle. If I can't solve the problem I feel I will have to move on sell the GXR and find a unit with similar quality but with the viewfinder on the extreme left of the body.
Many thanks again, Tom.
Tomktoo

Postby Rog Tallbloke » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:58 pm

Tom, ergonomics issues matter. The Sony NEX 7 and NEX 6 have veiwfinders on the extreme left. So do The Fujifilm X100S and another of their new cameras, I forget which. Just a pity you can't take the rest of the Ricoh interface with you if you move to another camera.
Rog Tallbloke

Postby Tomktoo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:27 am

Thanks Rog, I was beginning to think I was deformed in some way. The GXR is so customizable, I have it set up so I can change and manipulate the camera just how I want to suit the situation but framing is really uncomfortable. I have to compliment the designers for their innovation in providing a great interface just not quite completely in some regards. The advances in EVF technology renders the SLR obsolete in my opinion, time to move over to what makes sense. It's a shame my relatively cheap Nikon D5000 produces better colour images than my GXR but it is a struggle to get where I want to be in terms of control compared to the GXR. But when it comes to using old glass optics in monochrome I am still staggered at what the Ricoh can achieve.
It is a bit like my old Italian motorcycle, a nightmare to live with and never reliable but an absolute dream to use when it goes right. Or rather the opposite, the Ricoh is not everything but a stunning piece of reliable engineering it is but it seems the ergonomics could do with a dose of common sense. Do they ever use these things before they release them, amazing results but a very uncomfortable ride.
Tomktoo

Postby Blow-in » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:11 am

Hi Tom,

I sympathise with your issues with the VF-2. I bought one second hand and at first really liked it and used it most of the time. I did find that the colour rendering was 'cold' (blueish?) but at least I could read all the numbers without my glasses. I then realised I was using my GRD4 more than the GXR and decided it was because of the VF-2. Like you I was finding my nose got in the way and left smear marks (sorry!) on the LCD. I'm also left eye dominant so after a while could feel some eye strain too. So I took off the VF-2 for a week's trial and used the LCD with the black border (which helps me see the numbers) and used focus assist in Mode 2 when shooting with MF and was much happier with the camera (A12 50). Fortunately the original owner had come back to the GXR fold and wanted his VF-2 back so we both ended-up happy with the deal.

How about trying the GXR without the VF-2? Set the mag ratio to 4x and use FA mode 2 with the enlarged screen filling the whole LCD - with a bit of use it becomes easy to handle. The camera is also a lot less vulnerable without the VF-2 fitted which is a bit too delicate for my liking.

Richard
Blow-in
Site Supporter

Postby Rog Tallbloke » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:48 pm

I'm so used to using the screen to compose shots I find myself doing it with my old Oly DSLR. The main use I find for an EVF is as an adjustable angle scope for macro work and for composing/reviewing in bright light. It is nice for it to be there when you need it though. I think it'll be about another couple of years before there is a truly compact camera with built in EVF which has enough resolution to warrant its inclusion. The Panasonic LF1 doesn't quite cut it with the 200kdot finder. I'd like to see Ricoh make a GX300 with built-in ~900kdot finder using the 1/1.7 sensor Pentax have put in the new Q7. They can keep the old lens and leave out the built in flash for me. A tiltable and small clip on flash unit as an optional extra would be the cherry on the cake.
Rog Tallbloke

Return to Ricoh GXR