Who's still enjoying their GXR?

Discussion about Ricoh GXR system

Re: Who's still enjoying their GXR?

Postby Ricohfanboy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:37 am

Yup, I completely agree there are very useful combinations with "bigger" cameras: I haven taken a weekend trip last summer with the GXR+P10 and an old Pentax camera (funny that Pentax should be owned by Ricoh now: Pentax and Ricoh have always long-time favourite brands of mine...). The P10 served as a "second opinion" on metering (the Pentax was basically untested as far as its accuracy was concerned) and it also took all the long tele shots that I didn't want to carry a full frame Pentax lens for. All kinds of daylight shots are fine with the P10! The GXR setup really shines in that it make available a *small* 300mm equiv. tele...

On the other hand, there is no free lunch. Night time, both cameras didn't really work: the P10 becomes too noisy too soon -- and the Pentax had ISO125 film loaded! :D
Ricohfanboy

Postby Sean Gallagher » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:01 pm

I bought into the GXR system last Summer/Fall and am still trying to learn how to use it all. It's going to take a while to learn how to use each lensor and the parameters of the camera well. Also, I have been buying books on digital photography to expand my knowledge. I am, however, satisfied with my purchases, while realizing that there are cameras out there with better image clarity. I think that reasonable quality combined with flexibility and portability in one system are attractive attributes. The rest is up to me. If I had a camera that did all the work I would become bored.
" I don't need to see anything more clearly than I can with my glasses on."
Sean Gallagher

Postby Rog Tallbloke » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:40 pm

I'm delighted to see this thread is still running.
I'm still happy with my investment into the GXR system. I go lightweight backpacking in the mountains a lot, and the reach of the P10 is indispensable for me. As is the low light capability of the A12 28mm unit. Having said that, when I travel really light, I make do with my trusty old GX200.

I like my A16 unit for round town work and weight no object holidays. The level of detail provided by this sensor is an ongoing delight, and the zoom range is genuinely useful for capturing architectural details up off street level. Yes it's bulky. Yes it lacks external controls. But it's light, robust, and takes pretty good video (for a Ricoh).

Being a shade over half the weight of the GXR/A12-28mm, the GR with it's genuine pocketability would be a nice addition to my Ricoh stable, but I do find the fixed focal length a bit limiting for my eclectic style.
Rog Tallbloke

Postby ayewing » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:03 pm

Yes there is life in the GXR system still even if Ricoh is abandoning it. The A16 zoom has a very good sensor and it produces excellent results that stand comparison with most recent DSLRs at a fraction of the size and weight.
The A12 M Mount is still the best platform for Leica and other rangefinder lenses apart from the Leica M cameras which cost many times as much. While the P10 would benefit from a more modern sensor, provided that the light is good enough and you keep ISO down to not more than 400 it is capable of very satisfactory results with all the benefits of compact size and portability.

I will not sell my Ricoh system again.
Archie
ayewing
Site Supporter

Postby rluka » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:59 am

Bought a GXR because I'm moving from my m4/3 system.
My main camera when going out for a walk is an R-D1s. I trimmed down my lens to just the M mount lenses and is looking for accompanying system to mostly shoot close up. Naturally the choice falls to the GXR M mount, plus a P10 for macro and when needing the zoom.

Then I bought an A16, thinking that the zoom will be useful and the APS-C sensor will give better quality than P10.
But then I got disappointed. It's mostly my fault rather than the camera. I'm more used to prime lens and almost all my pictures are taken at 50mm setting. The size became too big for the value it gave.
So now I bought an A12 50 unit and is trying to sell away that A16.

JBut unfortunately the seller has lost the contact cover. Is there any place to get replacement ?
Last edited by rluka on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
rluka

Postby riccadonna » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:50 am

I`ll join in as one that`s still enjoying GXR system. My story began with acquisition of GXR body with m-unit. Having small collection of old LTM and M-mount glasses of different makes, I looked for different mirrorless options that could take aforementioned optics and my choice felled on GXR.
Later on I bought 50macro and 28 units and was and still am very happy with them. My basic walk about outfit is two bodies with 50macro on one and 28 on another. M-unit is used occasionally when I need something wider the 28mm and something longer then 50mm or something faster then f:2.5.
As to A16 I was a bit disappointed because of size and lack of manual zoom ring. I would rather prefer small 28-70 /4-5.6 , something in direction of Leica zoom on Vario X model.
I had the system for over 2 years and they it let me down. I know there`re improvements in IQ and AF coming all the time but really, how many times we print A3 and bigger, and GXR is good enough for that. I too deplore negligence of this fantastic system on RICOH behalf.
I still dont understand why RICOH doesn`t upgrade m-unit with K-3 sensor at least. And 50macro and 28 with their not so new sensors can still be used for f.ex. daylight flash photography with sync times up to 1/4000, with excellent results.
So lets keep this excellent forum alive and I do hope that RICOH would discover it`s value. Stanislaw
riccadonna

Postby Sean Gallagher » Mon May 26, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi from Tokyo!
I have the complete GXR system, including the flash, hoods, adapters and straps. Like adopted children, I favour one or another depending on my mood. Recently, I have been focused on the S-10 module, in conjunction with it's wide and tele conversion lenses. I can get great entertainment from the S-10, despite it's small sensor and poor low-light capabilities (although I have seen some really good night shots from other people, and using the flash helps too). It seems that the S-10 has been pushed to the wayside by the progress of technology, and we don't see many posting images from it. I would like to propose a thread devoted to the neglected S-10 and it's conversion lenses.
Sean Gallagher

Postby Blow-in » Tue May 27, 2014 5:43 pm

Sean Gallagher wrote:Hi from Tokyo!
I have the complete GXR system, including the flash, hoods, adapters and straps. Like adopted children, I favour one or another depending on my mood. Recently, I have been focused on the S-10 module, in conjunction with it's wide and tele conversion lenses. I can get great entertainment from the S-10, despite it's small sensor and poor low-light capabilities (although I have seen some really good night shots from other people, and using the flash helps too). It seems that the S-10 has been pushed to the wayside by the progress of technology, and we don't see many posting images from it. I would like to propose a thread devoted to the neglected S-10 and it's conversion lenses.

Sean, there is a S10 sub thread already so get posting! I've an S10 inbound and will join-in soon.

Richard
Blow-in
Site Supporter

Postby felixkh » Wed May 20, 2015 4:06 pm

I bought the GXR with the A12 28/2.5 and sold it 6 months later as I had too many cameras, Namely the K5, GXR and the Q. I sold off the GXR and Q in 2013 and just last Thursday got one back together with the M mount module. Just today, I got another body and the VF2 to be used with the M mount module.
felixkh

I am still enjoying my GXR.

Postby SLLRF » Thu May 21, 2015 4:13 am

I am still enjoying my GXR. The GXR with its EVF remains my favorite camera outfit. I have the A12 28mm, the A12 50mm and the P10 zoom, which I do not use and regret buying. The A12 50 is far and away my favorite lens-shutter-sensor. The GRX is so user-friendly. The prime lenses yield images of high quality. The downside is the GRX's slowness, shot to shot, and the lack of stabilization. Battery life is short, but fresh batteries are easy to carry and non-Ricoh batteries are cheap. I would buy a Ricoh GRX Mark II without hesitation.

I also have a Canon outfit with 6D and 5D bodies and L lenses, which I now find too heavy and bulky. (I'm thinking about getting an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II outfit, when it becomes available, to replace the Canon gear.) The Canon 6D is an excellent camera and the lenses are first-rate, but it is not as satisfying as the Ricoh GRX.
Ricoh GXR, VF2, A12 50, A12 28, P10
SLLRF

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh GXR