Who's still enjoying their GXR?

Discussion about Ricoh GXR system

Who's still enjoying their GXR?

Postby Rog Tallbloke » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:30 pm

The GR forum is lively and the GXR forum is quiet. So I thought I'd come and make some noise since I haven't said anything for a while.

The APSC GXR looks pretty big and heavy next to the new GR model which also outperforms the older 12MP Sony chip on ISO and resolution. So it goes, the industry doesn't stand still. I thnk there's still plenty to like about the GXR though. Not being restricted to one focal length is the most obvious plus point. I now have a fine collection of four lens units, and they all get use in different situations. The P10 goes on backpacking trips for wildlife work where you can't get very close to the subject. The S10 has a fine macro capability. The A12 28 is versatile, dusk/dawn landscapes, the interior of mountain huts and dimly lit pubs, architecture and art, streetshooting, endless enjoyment. The A16 zoom lens is a fine piece of kit too. Amazing sensor, superb optics. I don't think the body is overwhelmed by this lens, and it gets me to places where 28mm won't reach.

Speak up for your GXR and keep this section of Pavel's excellent website lively. :)
Rog Tallbloke

Re: Who's still enjoying their GXR?

Postby olyz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:04 pm

... I still enjoy my GXR M-Mount module with numerous ancient lenses from 1930 onwards :D ... some 'self-made' thereby :o ...

Christian
olyz
Site Supporter

Postby Rog Tallbloke » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:10 am

Hi Christian. I'm still living in hope that Ricoh's aquisition of Pentax will lead to a Pentax K fitting unit with the sensor used in the new GR. I have a few fine old SMC and Ricoh K fit lenses I'd like to use. Not sure it will happen, but I'm hoping that Ricoh hasn't forgotten about the users of it's only modular system.

To satisfy my desire for an 'always with me' shirt pocket camera I just pulled the trigger on an ebay bargain GX200 10 minutes ago. I always regretted selling mine, but I just got one back for half the price I sold it for, so I feel better now. :lol:
Rog Tallbloke

Postby Blow-in » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:31 am

I'm enjoying my GXR A12 50 more and more although I still have a lot to learn. I love the feel of the camera in my hand and when I have the time I like using it as a manual camera. I'm resisting going down the M mount route (at the moment) but I keep looking at the A16 24 - 85. I'm not a zoom fan so what I really want is the 85 mm as a 'prime' but that's clearly not on the cards. The A16 is very good value at the moment.......must be strong!

Richard
Blow-in
Site Supporter

Postby Rog Tallbloke » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:01 am

Richard, the 24-85 is a worthwhile addition, not only for the superb sensor, but also for the movie mode, if you need it. watch out for bargains, I scooped mine for £170. I'd like an A12 50 for the macro, but the S10 does a very good job so unless a bargain turns up I'll resist. In fact I might sell my S10 to justify the re-aquisition of a GX200, it's the same lens unit.
Rog Tallbloke

Postby Blow-in » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi Rog,

SRS Microsystems has the A12 50 (new) for £249 which is keen and Clifton Cameras has the A16 for £249 too but with an interest free payment option (or the A12 50 for £259 with interest free payments). I keep looking at eBay but haven't found anything recently....I did bid againt you on the A16 last October!

At the moment I have other spending priorities sadly.

Richard
Blow-in
Site Supporter

Postby Rog Tallbloke » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi Richard, yes, I looked at the Clifton and SRS deals on the A12 50 and like you, told myself that I musssst resissst. :lol:
My apologies for pipping you on the A16. If I spot something, I'll send you a PM. Meanwhile, my S10 is going in the ads section here to pay for the GX200.
Rog Tallbloke

Postby Ricohfanboy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:07 pm

Well, I have the 50mm macro, which is still marvelous: Macros are great, so are portraits (nice bokeh!) and street scences -- and the camera is not too big but not too flimsy either, perfect. Also have the P10 for jacket pocketability and when I need super-tele. But, most of all, I love the M mount: I can mount my old Pentax-M lenses, and a lensbaby, too: The focus peaking makes especially the lensbaby useable for the first time, I feel: You can literally see the odd shape that the sharp "focus zone" takes and get much better photos much, much quicker -- I love it! The only thing I still blame Ricoh for is that they never provided an autofocus tele lensor. If they had brought out something like a 70-200mm equivalent, I would never think about using another camera again (except my old Pentax MX, of course). Like this, I'm tempted by the Fuji XE and X-Pro... :oops:
Ricohfanboy

Postby 5four » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:47 pm

I have the 50mm too, and still loving it.
use it a lot, but if i had the 28mm too it would be 8-)

love primes, no need for zoom.
5four

Postby Rog Tallbloke » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:08 pm

I love my A12 28 prime. There are a couple more things about the A16 Zoomer than the zoom though.

24mm wide angle

16MP Sony APSC sensor

HD Video and motor driven zoom make smooth transitions.
Rog Tallbloke

Next

Return to Ricoh GXR