Perhaps not a REAL Silkypix problem, but where else to post?

Discussion forum about SILKYPIX RAW developer
Forum rules
Dedicated Silkypix forum can be found here:
http://www.silkypixforum.com

Perhaps not a REAL Silkypix problem, but where else to post?

Postby Wiener » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Help!
A bit of a problem with my Window-based photograph software...
Having loaded up Sikypix, LR3 and CS5 onto a new computer, all was well for a few days.
However, having calibrated my screen last Saturday, I find on Sunday that although images are still visible in Photoshop, in Silkypix and LR3 they are no longer visible; in Silkypix you can get a screen full of thumbnails with image name/size/type but instead of an image, there is just a black rectangle. The same thing has happened in LR3.
I also find that if I open an image with windows photo viewer, again no image, just a message saying that there may not be enough memory to display the image, even if it is just a few kb's in size. There is actually no memory problem on the machine (as far as I can see...the windows memory self-check program says everything is fine).
Strangely, when I log myself in as another user, all is working again...i can see no obvious settings to change to remedy this... :oops: :?
I was pondering the idea to delete this user profile and create another for myself...but this could be rash when I do not know what has happened in the first place; it could just repeat all over again? :roll:

If anyone has ANY idea what I have done wrong, you will become my life-long friend (whether you want to be or not!) :lol:
Cheers!
Andy
Wiener
Site Supporter

Location: Vienna, or Scotland, or anywhere around about, or in between...

Re: Perhaps not a REAL Silkypix problem, but where else to post?

Postby thelps » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:27 am

I think you have proved the problem does lie within a setting within the users profile. The main thing I would do is make sure the "new" user has admin rights as this is not usually applied by default. I am curious as to in what order you installed the apps?, as I could suggest the last one may have been the culprit. I've had LR3 and Silkypix loaded on a PC together before and no issue. I notice that PS4 installs all sorts of extras, my money would go on PS5 being the "culprit".

Its possibly a rendering issue also, have you tried loading the latest drivers for your video card? What brand/model card is it?

BTW: I know of a fantastic Silkypix forum over here -http://www.silkypixforum.com/ Its just getting going but its the place to be :D ;)
Tim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

| Ricoh GRD I Limited | Ricoh GRD II | Ricoh GRD III | Ricoh GRD IV | Ricoh GR | and some inspiration
thelps
Site Supporter

Postby odklizec » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:00 am

Andy, it definitely sounds like a general OS problem rather than a SP issue. I really doubt SP and LR3 shares some libraries or resources ;)

The first thing I would try is to clear the profile's TEMP folder content found here (don't hesitate to delete everything in this folder...
c:\Documents and Settings\YourProfileName\Local Settings\Temp\
Some files may be impossible to be deleted, because they may locked by running apps. Try to close all running apps before temp cleanup.

Next thing, what programs are running in the background of your profile? It may be that there is something running in background that slowly but gradually eats all your system resources. Something that is not run in other profiles? What program did you use for calibration? Is it running in background? Try the Task manager to check the running processes and memory usage. I would also suggest to check the list of programs started during OS start. You can examine this list in the System Configuration Utility...

Start >> Run >> type msconfig and press OK.

In the appeared window go to the Startup tab. There will be listed many apps that are not really necessary for OS run and some of them (or just one of them) could be a cause of your problem. True, it's not easy to tell which programs are necessary ;) Feel free to make some screen grabs and post them here so we can check what's started and recommend you which of them could be disabled.

What else you can try is to check if there was created a restore point before you start messing with the calibration and try that restore point. Unfortunately, I have no experience with restore points. You can find the System Restore tool here:
Start >> Programs Accessories >> System Tools >> System Restore

Hope some of these steps will help you? ;)
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby Wiener » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:08 pm

Thanks guys!
This will give me something to chew on a little later... :D
Andy
Wiener
Site Supporter

Postby Wiener » Thu May 26, 2011 11:17 am

OK, finally solved part of the mystery, having tried Pavel's kind thoughts without success (and having been seriously short of time, did not manage to explore the problem further until now).
By disabling 'display colour management in the View->Display Settings->Enable Display Colour Management menu, I have restored my Silkypix back to 'visible' on my monitor. It would seem from this that some corruption of the settings/software may have occurred (possibly whilst tuning colours with a borrowed 'spyder' device).
Now I just need to find the equivalent fix for LR3... ;)
Life is not meant to be simple, I guess! :D
Cheers!
Andy
Wiener
Site Supporter

Return to SILKYPIX