Silkypix 4 vs Silkypix Pro

Discussion forum about SILKYPIX RAW developer
Forum rules
Dedicated Silkypix forum can be found here:
http://www.silkypixforum.com

Silkypix 4 vs Silkypix Pro

Postby CHICHORNIO » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:27 pm

I don´t remember if this topic have been discussed before... Just in case, are there any particular differences between the two new version of Silkypix in term of development quality of the RAW files, besides the u$s 100 extra, the dodging tool and some extras in the printing section? I´m just interested in knowing if the agoritms when developing RAW files are the same. Thanks
Guillermo
CHICHORNIO

Re: Silkypix 4 vs Silkypix Pro

Postby odklizec » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:36 pm

Hi Guillermo, the RAW processing should be exactly the same in 4.0 and PRO. The differences are only in some extra features in PRO.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby CHICHORNIO » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:13 am

Thanks Pavel for your anwer. By the way, how do you set your "output" color space in Silkypix? sRBG or AdobeRGB? This is my workflow as a printmaker (tell me if I´m working wrong)
1- Silkypix 4.0 for developing RAW files (I also open the Tiff and Jpegs "clients" files so I do minor corrections on them). Then I export them as Tiff 16 bits uncompressed files ready for printing. My settings are:
* Display color management enable with my monitor's ICC, previously hardware calibrated with Eye1 display
* Output color space in AdobeRGB (for RAW and Tiff files)
* Tiff files with embebbed AdobeRGB ICC color space
2- Printing with Lightroom 3 Beta
* Aplication Color managed
* I call the proper paper ICC previously calibrated by the printer
Hardware:
* Dell Hybrid
* Dell Monitor
* HP Designjet z3200ps with spectrofotometer incorporated
CHICHORNIO

Postby Detail Man » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:38 am

odklizec wrote:Hi Guillermo, the RAW processing should be exactly the same in 4.0 and PRO. The differences are only in some extra features in PRO.

See: http://www.silkypixuk.com/index.php/Sil ... o-features
Detail Man
Site Supporter

Postby Detail Man » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:55 am

My "two bits" about Guillermo's Silkypix settings (and settings in the entire work-flow listed) is that everything is being done correctly.

Surely, the Adobe Software applications (when using TIF output from Silkypix) demand "Adobe RGB" color-space.
Detail Man
Site Supporter

Postby CHICHORNIO » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:56 am

Thanks Detail Man for the link (it was very usefull!!) and the confirmation about AdobeRGB color space. But (there´s always a but...) I have al least two complicated scenarios to deal with:
1- A client gives me a Jpeg/Tif file with embebbed sRGB color space profile. Should I convert it to AdobeRGB when I export it as a TIF 16 bits from Silkypix? Should I leave the file with the same color space profile because if not I´m doing a double conversion?
2- Another client gives me a BLACK & WHITE Jpeg/Tif 8 bits file already converted with Photoshop or another soft and with the sRGB color sapce profile embebbed to it... Should I output this file after I do some retouching in Silkypix with a AdobeRGB color space profile?
As far as I know, Lightroom 3 Beta (which is superb in organizing files that are ready for printing with a new option called "custom templates" - especially with roll paper) works in a color space very close than Pro photoRGB, which has a wider gamut than AdobeRGB (1998), so any files processed with a color space below Pro photoRGB will fit within LR3 Beta dafault color space default (and ONLY) setting. The "million dolar" question here is if LR3 Beta does some color space conversion that eventually will change the look of the original file already processed in Silkypix (remember that I´m NOT doing any processing job in LR3 Beta, just organizing the files for printing). Thanks in advance for your help.
Guillermo
CHICHORNIO

Postby Detail Man » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:12 am

Chichornio,

Not being ever a user of any of the Adobe products (and, correspondingly, knowing very little about them), I will only hesitate a guess where it might seem (perhaps to be) helpful (in a general sense, and from the little that I (think that I) know about these complex matters:

CHICHORNIO wrote: ... two complicated scenarios to deal with:
1- A client gives me a Jpeg/Tif file with embebbed sRGB color space profile. Should I convert it to AdobeRGB when I export it as a TIF 16 bits from Silkypix? Should I leave the file with the same color space profile because if not I´m doing a double conversion?

DM: If the target color-space is sRGB (of which there now exist ICC Class 2, and the relatively newer ICC Class 4) JPG, or 8/16-bit TIF, I imagine that you (may) be utilizing Adobe applications in order to do your CMYK conversions for printing? If so, do your Adobe products have an option to accept other color-spaces? If such were the case, (perhaps) an internal (Adobe) conversion between a particular input color-space mapping and Adobe RGB would be more appropriately accomplished? Otherwise, the situation (may) be "Adobe's way or the highway", leaving you no choice but to do send them an Adobe RGB (aRGB) color-mapping.

CHICHORNIO wrote:2- Another client gives me a BLACK & WHITE Jpeg/Tif 8 bits file already converted with Photoshop or another soft and with the sRGB color sapce profile embebbed to it... Should I output this file after I do some retouching in Silkypix with a AdobeRGB color space profile?

DM: I don't know of any implicit relevant differences with regard to black and white and how it may be affected by a sRGB profile, etc. (but I am not the one to ask, not being someone who has worked in black and white at all with my images). I believe (as you likely already know) that the color-space that these "raw" processors use (for previewing purposes) is the input color-space dictated by the camera or the color-space that the input image-file is mapped to - whereas they map the image to the (output) color-space (only) upon "development" (creating an output image-file)?

I'll bet that Pavel (Odklizec) would know better than I about the preview/development color-space relationships in Silkypix 4.x ...

CHICHORNIO wrote:As far as I know, Lightroom 3 Beta (which is superb in organizing files that are ready for printing with a new option called "custom templates" - especially with roll paper) works in a color space very close than Pro photoRGB, which has a wider gamut than AdobeRGB (1998), so any files processed with a color space below Pro photoRGB will fit within LR3 Beta dafault color space default (and ONLY) setting. The "million dollar" question here is if LR3 Beta does some color space conversion that eventually will change the look of the original file already processed in Silkypix (remember that I´m NOT doing any processing job in LR3 Beta, just organizing the files for printing). Thanks in advance for your help.
Guillermo

DM: You are "way over my pay-grade" at this point with these Adobe-related questions ... :P

I recently joined the Adobe Forum, and was able to converse with a knowledgeable chap about some questions specific to his freeware application and my "UniWB" investigations. You might find some definitive resident knowledge lurking about the (very large membership, I would think) Adobe Forum:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2582672
Detail Man
Site Supporter

Return to SILKYPIX