No firmware to fix Noise Reduction - Note from RICOH

GRD II Firmware

No firmware to fix Noise Reduction - Note from RICOH

Postby luisteoh » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:31 pm

I asked Ricoh if there is going to be a future firmware to allow us to switch off the noise reduction feature in Jpeg. Their answer is a disappointing no....

Their reply below:

Thank you for contacting Ricoh Japan, The GR DIGITAL II has the GR engine II in a camera.A JPEG image will be developed by the imaging engine at image processing.The imaging engine has the noise reduction feature in itself. You can see the description at the bottom part of the following site.http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/gr/gr_digital2/features.html If you want to get an original image, please try taking a picture in theRAW mode.Please understand that the firmware is not the only factor of the noisereduction.

Sincerely yours,----------------------------------------------Ricoh PMMC JapanCustomer Support Digital Camera Products
_____________________________________http://www.louisteoh.com___

Canon 1Ds II
Ricoh GRD
Ricoh GRD II
luisteoh

Re: No firmware to fix Noise Reduction - Note from RICOH

Postby odklizec » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi luisteoh and welcome here.

Yes, this NR OFF in JPEG was widely discussed in the past and Ricoh seems to be firm about their decision not to allow true NR OFF in JPEG. In my opinion, the major part of the problem is, that in the past a lot of users complained about noisy JPEG files coming from GRDI and GX cameras. So Ricoh developed their new NR, which is relative noise free, unfortunately, at a cost of fine details that are gone too. GRDIII NR does much better work and leaves significantly more details in JPEG files. But still nowhere near the GRDI files. Sad thing.

BTW, in case of GRDII, you don't have to forget it's out of production model with no chance for any new feature enhancing FW! At best, you can expect only bug fixing FW. But most probably only in case of really serious problems.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby CHICHORNIO » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:25 pm

If it possible to edit the GRD2 firmware with a dedicated software so we can get NR off in our GRD2 pictures? Just wondering...
CHICHORNIO

Postby luisteoh » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:36 pm

It's a shame.. especially so since i just bought a GRD2 and I am waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

For a moment i thought it is still a production model and not phased out yet (but soon).

If it possible to edit the GRD2 firmware with a dedicated software so we can get NR off in our GRD2 pictures? Just wondering...

Well i was hoping some kind soul would do the firmware hack too...

But what Ricoh is saying is that this is a hardware issue with their image engine and there is little firmware can do??
luisteoh

Return to Firmware