RAW Software for old GRD II pictures

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital II

RAW Software for old GRD II pictures

Postby CHICHORNIO » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:56 pm

Which will be the best software available today for developing RAW data from my GRD II? Back in 2009 I´d used Silkypix, but now I´m using LR3 or LR4 most of the time. Any suggestions? Most of the picture where taken up to 100 ISO.
CHICHORNIO

Re: RAW Software for old GRD II pictures

Postby thelps » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:07 am

CHICHORNIO wrote:Which will be the best software available today for developing RAW data from my GRD II? Back in 2009 I´d used Silkypix, but now I´m using LR3 or LR4 most of the time. Any suggestions? Most of the picture where taken up to 100 ISO.

If you are skilled with LR I'd recommend staying with that. Nothing works better than something you are familiar with.
While I like that RAWTherapee being free its been a bit unstable at times.
Tim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

| Ricoh GRD I Limited | Ricoh GRD II | Ricoh GRD III | Ricoh GRD IV | Ricoh GR | and some inspiration
thelps
Site Supporter

Postby CHICHORNIO » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:54 pm

Thanks! I use LR 3 and 4 (beta yet) most of the time, but I wonder if the latest version of Camera Raw gets the better from the Ricoh´s DNG. I remember Silkypix did back then in 2009/2010, but I haven´t tried since then. The final output will be for printing.
CHICHORNIO

Postby odklizec » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:51 pm

Actual Silkypix 5 does a very good color job! It uses significantly improved color noise processing that matches the LR or Rawtherapee color NR. As far as I remember, you own also the DP2? Actual SP5 can process the Sigma files as well.

There are, in my opinion, two downsides of SP5. The first one is its price, which is much higher than LR4 price. And the next problem I see in its not as detailed demosacing. Both LR4 and Rawtherapee do significantly better job in this area. But I personally still prefer SP over any other RAW editor. It's hard to tell why? There is probably no rational explanation ;)
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby CHICHORNIO » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:22 am

odklizec wrote:As far as I remember, you own also the DP2? Actual SP5 can process the Sigma files as well.

Color Noise it´s not an issue with my files. No matter what, I try to keep all my shots under 100 ISO. Well, with the X3F files, I prefer to stick with Sigma Photo Pro version 5. It does a very clean development of the foveon raw files, and you can apply a LOT of sharpenning without killing the files. But for Ricoh DNG files I will try Silkypix 5 as you recomended. I own the SP Studio 4.0E. Do you know how much I´ll have to pay upgrading to SP5? I think I know why you like SP5... It´s remind us the old times of Windows workflow, don´t you think? By the way, here´s a file exported "as a jpg" with Sigma Photo Pro. No processing at all.
Attachments
SDIM1270.jpg
(138.08 KiB) Downloaded 954 times
CHICHORNIO

Return to Ricoh GR Digital II