GRDII and GT-1 (40mm)

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital II

Re: GRDII and GT-1 (40mm)

Postby odklizec » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:54 pm

hey Bjorn! Nice to see you here again! Thanks for your compliment! I wish I would have more time to add more articles, tests and silkypix tutorials.

I really hope to get my hands on DP1 and do some "silly" pixel peeping tests with GRDII ;) I think the DP1 is a serious achievement and I believe it's just a start! I'm quite sure there will be more beasts like DP1 in a near future. Some time ago there was just one Olympus DSLR with LiveView and look now..LV in each entry level DSLR. My guess is that the next compact with DSLR sensor will be something with 4/3 sensor. Maybe new Lumix or Olympus? We will see..

As for your question why not GX100 instead of GRD+GT1, it is a hard question. I see the main advantage of GRDII + GT1 in the availability of f2.4 at 40mm. GX100 at 40mm starts with f3.1. Another advantage is a very low image distortion (visibly lower than GX100 zoom lens). It's especially well visible in macro mode, where the GX100 barrel distortion is highly pronounced on every horizontal or vertical line.
But yes, the hood and GT1 seriously harms the GRD pocketability. And there is also the known problem with GT1 flaring. It's up to everyone to decide what's more critical. Pocketability or high image quality? Last 3 weeks I'm carrying GRDII + GT1 everywhere with me and although it entirely fills my coat pocket, it's far less problematic to carry than my DSLR. It's still much smaller.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby viztyger » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:42 am

Hi Pavel. Maybe you should quit your job and devote all your time to this site! Ha Ha.
Yes, I also wondered if Panasonic or Olympus would launch a competing 4/3 sensor compact.
Recently though, Panasonic hasn't marketed so many "niche" cameras.
Other than the L1, cameras have been more mainstream.
I think a large sensor compact will inevitably have to be a niche camera; the large sensor will require sacrifices in zoom range that the average consumer won't be willing to make.
But who knows, maybe there will be some surprises...
As to the DP1, a comparison with the GRDII certainly would be interesting.
I imagine that either camera will have its strengths.
Perhaps, if I get a DP1, we could meet up for a day of shooting test photos?
Björn

http://www.pbase.com/viztyger
viztyger

Postby odklizec » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:05 pm

Hehe good idea! Maybe someone would be willing to sponsor me? I will gladly play with Ricoh gear all day and daily report about my experience. Definitely nice dream! ;)

Olympus did a great job with E4xx. But in my opinion, they mistakenly categorized it as an entry level model with somewhat "crippled" FW functionality. Also Panasonic's L1 was great achievement. I really like the L1 shape and stunning 14-50 lens. Unfortunately, current L10 is just another plastic entry level DSLR without the soul. Just my opinion. Too bad the manufacturers stopped producing their prosumer compact models. Hope it's just a temporary suspension?

I'm really curious about DP1. But I'm quite sure it will not replace the GRDII. It's too early to comment on the unreleased camera. Either will have its advantages and disadvantages. But hey! Do you guys know what's really great? You can easily slip both GRDII and DP1 into your pockets and use either of them according of actual situation! I'm now carrying both GRD and GRDII+GT1 with me and they both take less space and weight than my E400!
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby Marko » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:55 am

The GT-1 seems to me like a love and hate relationship. I know this focal length from my Voigtländer Nokton 1.4/40mm and Leica CL Summicron. A very nice focal length. So i use these 40mm also on my GRD I. The external Voigtländer 40mm viewfinder is also a very nice tool to work with the GT-1. But now comes the downside. The camera lose his pocket size and i must carry the GRD with the GS-1 neck strap. Okay this seems not so bad but then you start to shoot in Sunlight and then you get a over flared picture with ugly color errors in the corners (down left or right). This makes the GT-1 unusable for me at daylight. Only at night I can use the lens without any danger. The GT-1 needs lens shade like the GW-1!! That's the "hate" side. But all in all I will use the GT-1 very often on my GRD I - it's a nice addition!
Marko

Postby krzy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:57 pm

Pavel, could you make please, some comparision photos of GR with and without GT-1?
If you could arrange two cameras side by side (somethink like http://www.flickr.com/photos/minami/2316011941/in/photostream/) with GT-1 (let's say GR) and wihout GT-1 (GR-II) and make some comparision shots (from top, front and both sides).

Could you make picture how looks mount of GH-1 in camera body (it's from plastic or from metal)?

Thanks.
krzy

Postby odklizec » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:27 pm

Hi krzy! Yes, I can do such comparison (not today I'm afraid ;) ). The GH-1 is made from hardened plastic. It does not look that bad.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby krzy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:26 pm

Thanks.
If you will shot pictures could you make any point of reference?
For example GR+GT-1 in palm of your hand, GT-1 in palm, GT-1+GH in palm. I don't know how big is it.

If you could shot comparisions photo GX100 (set up on 70 mm) and GR+GT-1.

Would you ask your contact in Ricoh if they plan to sell GR II creative set with GT-1?
Or maybe about idea of Ricoh plans for production GR40 ;)
Your 40 mm photos
http://www.ricohforum.com/download/file.php?id=1260
stimulate imagination.
krzy

Postby krzy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:22 pm

Hi Pavel,

I'm living in hope, that you don't forget about our comparision photos ;)
krzy

Postby odklizec » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:36 pm

Sorry mate! I already uploaded some comparison photos here:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1073&p=4270&hilit=40mm#p4270

I just forgot to repost them in this thread ;) I will do few more with a reference object.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby rurouni » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:55 am

I finally got my GT-1 and its a really solid piece of glass. Got it at a pretty good price too (ard 100USD). It is prone to flaring I suppose due to the shape of the tele-convertor but I do like the 40mm viewpoint!

Just wondering though, what is the minimum focusing distance both for normal shorts and macros now with the GT-1 on?
rurouni

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh GR Digital II