GRDII and GT-1 (40mm)

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital II

Re: GRDII and 40mm lens

Postby Lili » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:37 am

Pavel,
It is nt so much a 'wobble' as just slight movement or click.
it does not affect sharpness as you can see
Lili
Site Supporter

Postby rurouni » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:19 am

Thanks for the lens test results! Looking forward to the flare tests :)

Do post a couple more 'real world' shots if you can, after I stare at the monitor for a while, all the 100% crops start to look the same :D
rurouni

Postby Lili » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:54 pm

Just tried my new GH-1 adapter with the GT-1.
No play or wobble what ever.
Guess I had defective one :(
Much happier with the GT-1 now :)
Pavel, appreciate your tests. Your point about having a much faster 'normal' efl with the GRD/GT-1 combo than the gX-100 is well taken :)
Lili
Site Supporter

Postby odklizec » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:33 am

Added chromatic aberration and barrel distortion test images. I'm really impressed by the GT1 performance!

Lili, I'm happy to hear that new GH-1 works fine! Now you can fully enjoy the GT1, which is a great addition to already superb GRD performance. BTW, is there any meaning of the badge in your "bunny" shots? It looks familiar to me, but I cannot remember, where I saw it previously?

Rurouni, I'm sorry delay with flare example shots ;) But I hope to post something soon. I'm still testing this issue and trying to find the best way how to avoid it or minimize its impact on the image quality. At the moment, you can see some more "real world" GT1 shots for example here:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=780
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby Lili » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:18 am

odklizec wrote:Added chromatic aberration and barrel distortion test images. I'm really impressed by the GT1 performance!

Lili, I'm happy to hear that new GH-1 works fine! Now you can fully enjoy the GT1, which is a great addition to already superb GRD performance. BTW, is there any meaning of the badge in your "bunny" shots? It looks familiar to me, but I cannot remember, where I saw it previously?

Rurouni, I'm sorry delay with flare example shots ;) But I hope to post something soon. I'm still testing this issue and trying to find the best way how to avoid it or minimize its impact on the image quality. At the moment, you can see some more "real world" GT1 shots for example here:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=780

Pavel, that is belt buckle from my "Goth" days :)
I have not seen any flare yet with the GT-1, the scene outside that window was birghtly sunlit so you'd think if there were any it would have appeared.
Lili
Site Supporter

Postby odklizec » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:53 am

Lili, I think there might be several reasons why you did not see any flare in your photos. First, you were just lucky ;) Second, the GRD performs differently than GRDII?

I will give the GRD + GT1 a try, to see if there is any difference. But I think it's just just a luck you did not spot any flare yet. It really depends on the angle between the camera and light source. From my experience, there is no (or very faint) flaring if the light source is directly in a view. But things rapidly changes if the light source is let's say in 45° angle with lens and out of the visible area. And of course, the problem is less (if ever) visible in B&W mode.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Re: GRDII and GT-1 (40mm)

Postby rurouni » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:20 pm

I've just ordered a GT-1 from my local dealer, will give it a go when its in to see how troublesome the flaring is. So far the pics have looked good, esp coming from a teleconvertor connected to such a small lens. :)
rurouni

Postby odklizec » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:47 am

Rurouni, I'm sure you will like it! The flaring issue is usually visible only in extreme corners. So it can be cut out form the picture or masked by some advanced photo editing techniques. But in most cases, it can be avoided during the composition phase.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby rurouni » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:11 pm

Hmm just got a call from the shop about some sort of delay in getting the GT-1 due to a technical issue. Wonder what it is. I think I'll have to wait another month at least for some new stock to arrive.
rurouni

Postby viztyger » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:25 pm

This site is developing into quite a useful resource for Ricoh cameras and photography in general. My compliments.

I've put my GX100 up for sale as I intend to replace it with one of the two 28mm (equivalent) prime lens compacts on the market.
Quite likely the Sigma DP1, although the GRDII is still on the list as well.

As to the combination GRDII + GT-1 my question would be - why?
One of the GRDII's main advantages is its extremely light and compact form.
Adding a GT-1 makes the kit considerably heavier, so why not buy a GX100 instead if you need the zoom?

Björn
viztyger

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh GR Digital II