GRDII and AAA batteries

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital II

GRDII and AAA batteries

Postby odklizec » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:55 pm

The GRD ability to use AAA batteries is an often overlooked feature either by camera reviewers and users. Of course, the AAA batteries are not very powerful and cannot replace main battery. But it's definitely nice option in cases all your GRD batteries are out of power. I'm just playing with GRDII and AAA batteries and here are some experiences. I'm now testing pair of rechargeable NiMH batteries - 700MAH.

My first experience with AAA batteries was not very good, because I found the AAA battery compartment too short or the contact springs too strong for a given batteries. Or maybe the batteries are too long? Simply, when I put the batteries inside the camera, I was hardly able to close the battery door and even if closed, the door seemed to be somewhat bend and not closed tightly! So I immediately removed both batteries and tried to cut the plastic cover on both battery sides. It does not have any impact on the battery function and I'm now able to close the battery door without using the force. But it's still very tight! I think the contact springs are really too strong.

Now about the camera performance on AAA batteries. The sad truth is that the focus and LCD refresh rate is much slower. It's probably because of significantly less power obtained from AAA batteries comparing them with main battery. It's like if you run laptop on batteries. The laptop is visibly slower when run on batteries.

I cannot inform you (not yet) about the number of shots taken with AAA. But I'm sure it won't be anything close to main battery ;)
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Re: GRDII and AAA batteries

Postby hiro » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:15 pm

I think there is some tolerance allowed in manufacture of battery sizes, if you switch to a different brand they will probably fit ok. I don't have a GRD, but the 750mAH Vanson batteries I bought for my mp3 player a couple of years ago fit my GX100 with no problem.

You may find it worth getting some new AAA batteries anyway, as it is now possible to get 1000mAH ones. My calculation is that 2 of these should give half the life of the DB60 LIon cell, but this is purely theoretical, I have not verified it in practice. There is a website which has tested many NiMH cells, they seem to vary a lot from brand to brand, their AAA page is here. The Sanyo cells seem most likely to be best.
hiro

Postby jooon » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:09 am

Just checked myself. I had 4 different brands lying around. Just putting them next to each other I saw clear difference in size. Usually this doesn't matter because most battery compartments have lots of marginal. The GRD2 does not. Only 1 pair of batteries fit perfectly, the others with force. The worst one was of course the usual cheap ass batteries I usually buy, which I always have too many of.
jooon

Postby Beto » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:57 am

I just received a new GR II and popped a pair of Duracell AAA's in while the "real" battery was charging. The Duracells fit well, no problem. However, I exhausted them by looking at all the menu settings, changing some of them, and (accidentally) taking one picture. This happened over a period of hours, as I was otherwise occupied. The camera would automatically turn itself off after a minute of inactivity. I would turn it back on and look at some other menu options, whilst reading the manual. My conclusion from this admittedly very limited experience is that AAA batteries are strictly for emergencies, and you better have more than a pair!

I love the camera, even though I have not yet really used it! The new GV-2 mini finder is wonderful! Small, bright, sharp, with good eye relief (for glasses().
Beto

Postby forward » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:28 am

Welcome Beto and am glad you find your new toy interesting. The AAA batteries are for such
purposes, just standby more if you've not got an extra battery. The 3.7V 1800mAh would
last longer than the one provided by Ricoh DB60 (1150mAh).

The model I had is the FJ-NP70 rated at 1800mAh which can be used on the GX and maybe
on the GRDII as well.
forward

Postby Lewis » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:27 pm

I too found that the AAA's are a tight fit. I used alkaline sony one's, and they were exhausted after only 15 photo's, so definitely a last option!! :shock:
Lewis

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:12 am

I just ran down a pair of SANYO eneloop 800mAh AAA NIMH batteries in my new GRDII. To my surprise, the battery life is much better than what I expected. Before the two AAA batteries exhausted, I set up the camera, got 97 shots with 29 flash use and about 25 turning on and off. Also I copied some pictures from internal memory to SDHC card in camera.
Matt

Postby Will » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:13 pm

Beto wrote:I just received a new GR II and popped a pair of Duracell AAA's in while the "real" battery was charging. The Duracells fit well, no problem. However, I exhausted them by looking at all the menu settings, changing some of them, and (accidentally) taking one picture. This happened over a period of hours, as I was otherwise occupied. The camera would automatically turn itself off after a minute of inactivity. I would turn it back on and look at some other menu options, whilst reading the manual. My conclusion from this admittedly very limited experience is that AAA batteries are strictly for emergencies, and you better have more than a pair!

You should never use alkaline type batteries for a camera, the camera is fooled into thinking they are run down after hardly any time at all but if you then put them in a torch there is still a lot of charge left. Always use rechargeable. I found with the GX100 I could get at least 85 shots with normal screen usage out of a pair of 800mAh ones.
Will
Site Supporter

Postby JiH » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:09 pm

I tried using generic batteries and ended up only getting 10-15 shots. :shock:
JiH

Postby -MM- » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:16 am

I just found this thread. A week ago I started another one with almost the same topic here: AAA Batteries: Lithium and NiOx Cells
-MM-

Next

Return to Ricoh GR Digital II