GRD2 JPEG NR and color bleeding

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital II

Re: GRD2 JPEG NR and color bleeding

Postby Shane Phillips » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:34 pm

buzzard wrote:I contacted them, lets see if I get a response.

Great work, thank you!

Shane-NYC
Shane Phillips

Postby buzzard » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:45 pm

Wait a minute, I can turn the NR off in the JPEG mode and I don't get any bleeding of colors. My testing has been limited because my memory card has not arrived yet, so I'm forced to use the internal memory. So I'm not really sure what is being discussed here. I appeared to jump the gun before testing my own camera. I'm confused.
buzzard

Postby odklizec » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:55 pm

Sorry? The NR OFF switch in GRDII does not turn the NR OFF! It just make it less aggressive! Look at this post here:
download/file.php?id=625

There is clearly visible that the NR OFF does not turn the NR OFF! If it would, then the JPEG should have the same amount of noise as photos taken in RAW. All photos with color bleeding (as most of my other tests results) were definitely taken with NR OFF switch! Only in the Continuous mode is the "NR OFF" switch ignored and the NR is performed regardless the actual NR setting.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby buzzard » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:59 pm

My noise reduction off looks closer to the grain of RAW than it does anything else. I'll go shoot some pics today and test it. Sorry for the confusion, but I'm still getting used to all of this :)
buzzard

Postby odklizec » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:05 pm

Nono, there is no need to apologize! ;) It would be great if you find a solution (workaround) of this problem! It's definitely useful to share each others knowledge.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby spyrtan » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:27 pm

Thanks for all your work on this topic Pavel (and the site in general)

I for once am shocked to see the extent of NR in my GRD2 pictures (even with NR off). The special GRD-look is gone from the jpg-files, sadly, very sadly. I loved my GRD for its capability to shoot B&W at high ISO's in jpg, now they are "ruined" by the NR, i.e. that lovely film-like look is gone...

I know that it can be avoided if shooting in raw, but I like to be out there shooting, not only fiddling in Lightroom.

Why change a winning combination, Ricoh I don't get it??? Don't listen to the reviewers, listen to your customers!

I also contacted Ricoh for a firmware update adressing this (and the max 1/800 at F2.4, if possible) problem.

Happy Hollidays

Your Danish connection
Martin Petersen
spyrtan

Postby cygnet » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:41 pm

This is an older thread, but still pertinent to me, since I acquired a GRD-II just this year. Are there any updates or solutions for this jpeg problem. Really the jpegs are totally unusable. I would either like to turn off the RAW + Jpeg and just shoot raw, or turn off the noise reduction in jpeg. As it is now, when I download to my computer, I just have to go and throw out all the jpegs. Am I missing some way of just shooting raw and skipping the jpegs?
cygnet

Previous

Return to Ricoh GR Digital II