GRDII vs. GX100 comparison

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital II

Re: GRDII vs. GX100 comparison

Postby odklizec » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:41 pm

You may be right about the resolution Jorge! The GRD2 is definitely sharper at corners. The problem is that the small 28mm vs. 28.5mm difference means a lot in the resolution comparison. I will try to set the GX100 to as close as possible (without step zoom) to GRD 28mm and with camera on tripod. But it will have to wait till weekend ;)

I'm now really confused about the higher GX100 dynamic range, because I would expect they both use the same CCD? Maybe not then? Or maybe it's caused by a different lens construction? There seems to be slightly different color reproduction between these two cameras (visible in RAW). Let's assume there is not any kind of malicious RAW postprocessing done over the DNG files. So maybe the different lens construction also takes a role in highlight clipping? I will definitely do some more tests.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby lucridders » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:15 pm

I came last week approx to the same conclusion. So, maybe it is correct what you say untill now. Is good that we can say when something is less good. This will gives us advantages for the future!!!
lucridders

Postby aguila_se » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:45 am

jorgeAD wrote:...I recently became aware of High Dynamic Range processing from a single DNG file and I believe this technique could easily help overcome the dynamic range limitation of small sensor cameras (both GRD and GX100)... Has anyone out there already tried it.?.. its actually built into CS2!

Hello jorgeAD

Could you please go into more detail on what you mean with the above. I would be very interested to hear!

Cheers
aguila_se :ugeek:
aguila_se

Previous

Return to Ricoh GR Digital II