GRDII ISO400 & NoiseNinja

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital II

GRDII ISO400 & NoiseNinja

Postby odklizec » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:58 pm

Another day, another test! ;) Yesterday I tried to clean GRDII ISO400 DNG with NoiseNinja. I had to convert the DNG first, because it was an pretty old version, which did not recognize the GRD DNG files. However, the results are quite impressive! After seeing how nice it cleans the color noise and preserve grain with reasonable amounts of details, I would suggest to use GRD RAW anytime you need to use ISO above 200. It's also good if you need to crop a small detail from large photo, without worrying about smeared details.

See these comparison crops:
R0011780_ISO_crops.jpg
R0011780_ISO_crops.jpg (417.56 KiB) Viewed 9986 times

R0011780_ISO_crops2.jpg
R0011780_ISO_crops2.jpg (425.51 KiB) Viewed 9680 times

R0011780_ISO_crops3.jpg
R0011780_ISO_crops3.jpg (475.19 KiB) Viewed 9750 times

Full size sources..
RAW (use 7zip to extract the file, MAC users should have to use one of >these<)
R0011780.7z

JPEG NR OFF
R0011780.JPG

JPEG NR ON:
R0011781.JPG

NoiseNinja JPEG (soft "cleaning" - more preserved details but grainy):
R0011780_dng_filtered2.jpg

NoiseNinja JPEG (stronger "cleaning" - less noise and details):
R0011780_dng_filtered.jpg
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Re: GRDII ISO400 & NoiseNinja

Postby PeterLeyssens » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:01 pm

Pavel,

Looking good ! I wish you'd stop posting good results with additional software the whole time ! My budget has already tripled ! ;)

Seriously though, NoiseNinja clearly shows that NR is possible without rubbing out all detail into a flat impression of what the algorithm thought was there. First time I take a good look at this software and I'm suitably impressed !

Peter.
--
analog equipment: Zorki+Summitar, digital: waiting for the GR-D II
gallery at http://picasaweb.google.com/peterleyssens
PeterLeyssens

Postby lucridders » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:42 pm

I would see once normal shot, everything at 0 and auto. This for landscape, still live and portrait. Without any PP. This says more about a cam than all settings done regarding personal view When I like than later on try my own settings I will choose them than myselves. If I like to do noise ninja, I will do. Why you always have to do tests with manipulated settings (moreover I read that RICOH is not making too much noise and now you give samples runned trough a soft to eliminate noise) And I forgot, also picures with quite a difference in light and dark parts.
lucridders

Postby odklizec » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:20 pm

I'm sorry Lucridders, but if you don't like these tests, you can go to flickr or another public photo gallery and search for tests which suits your needs better. I'm not a pro reviewer and the test I'm doing are the test, which interest the majority. Test with Noise Ninja is there to show how good can be eliminated the noise from RAW with preserving reasonable amount of details and pleasant to look grain. This test also shows the difference between such processed RAW and in-camera noise reduced JPEG, which, as I believe, is pretty evident.

And please, there is no need to post the same in multiple topics. Thank you!

BTW, the difference in light and dark parts in this (and other) test is caused by different JPEG/RAW processing. JPEG from camera is always different and the difference would be even more noticeable with your suggested 0 values, because they are NOT 0 in terms of in camera image processing! Look at the JPEG sharpness. Even with -2 is the out of camera JPEG sharper than RAW, because even at -2 is applied some sharpening!
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby jorgeAD » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:08 pm

This test displays the clear advantage of practical RAW writting times afforded by the GRD2. This was a major issue for me with the original GRD as, after 27 years into photography I know what I want and very rarely am satisfied with results out of camera or default settings from any software.

Its a matter of working toward your own standards and perfecting your technique, not aimlessly hopping from one piece of equipment to another or from one software to another, always at default settings, looking for a magic bullet...

So thank again for this great post and taking the time to optimize the settings to meet a higher standard Pavel... I am messing around with Noiseware pro and promise to post a perfected worflow here as soon as I have reached it...

Jorge

jorgeAD

Postby Studio67 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:51 pm

Hi Pavel,

Nice, i like the Noise Ninja image, thanx for testing...
wich settings did you use in Noise Ninja? :o
Studio67

Postby Studio67 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:55 pm

jorgeAD wrote:This test displays the clear advantage of practical RAW writting times afforded by the GRD2. This was a major issue for me with the original GRD as, after 27 years into photography I know what I want and very rarely am satisfied with results out of camera or default settings from any software.

Its a matter of working toward your own standards and perfecting your technique, not aimlessly hopping from one piece of equipment to another or from one software to another, always at default settings, looking for a magic bullet...

So thank again for this great post and taking the time to optimize the settings to meet a higher standard Pavel... I am messing around with Noiseware pro and promise to post a perfected worflow here as soon as I have reached it...

Jorge

Great shot! nice way of using light and ambiance! it's almost 3D ;)
Studio67

Postby lucridders » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:20 pm

I know lots of people, who are asking the same. Nuetral tests as this is the only way to compare. In neutral and auto, a hgood cam should make already 75% correct or nearly correct pictures. When I like to do than later on different settings to have better result, the better it will for me. So, just compare them as naked as it can be.
lucridders

Postby Gil » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:32 am

Thanks again for your testing Pavel. I took some of the downloaded dng images and was able to tweak some good noise
reduction using Noiseware Pro and Neat Image. Since I will be shooting 95% color the noise was an issue with me but with
your images I saw good results.
I understand the opposite side of the coin with the B&W shooters being concerned with the type of noise/grain the GRD II
produces. I find it interesting that with the same camera there are opposite feelings about having noise/grain in the images.
I find the street B&W candids intriguing and quite interesting. Before I started following the GRD I did not know much
about this artful stlye of photography. I'm learning.
Gil
Gil

Postby VinceF » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:47 pm

A comparison between the weight of JPG files produced by D200 and GRDII is interesting (both are equiped with a 10 Mpix sensor) : D200 files are about 6.7 Mo when GRD II ones are 3.5 Mo (roughly the half).
So, to my opinion, the quality issue of GRD II JPG files is probably more a compression algorithm issue than a NR issue.
What do you think?
VinceF

Next

Return to Ricoh GR Digital II