higlight recovery (silkypix)

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital II

higlight recovery (silkypix)

Postby odklizec » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:42 pm

Someone asked for an example of highlight recovery. I'm now testing Silkypix so here is one quick sample how shooting in RAW and processing the file manually may significantly help your highlights ;)

Please, bear in mind that I'm not a Silkypix expert, so the highlight recovery may not be final! In this example I only tried to fix the highlights, nothing else (hence the chromatic aberration).
R0011532_raw_silkypix_recovery_crop.jpg
(760.23 KiB) Downloaded 4289 times
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Re: higlight recovery (silkypix)

Postby PeterLeyssens » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:56 pm

Hi Pavel,

Very nice example of how much one can recover using raw and a good raw processor. I don't have a digital camera now and the Ricoh GR-D and GR-D II are the two cameras that look like they're closest to what I'd be replacing them with: my Leica thread mount camera that I use 400ISO B&W film in for a rough look. I'd been torn between the new and the old version, though, because the GR-D has already proven itself as far as the rough look of high ISO pictures is concerned, whereas there were doubts about the dynamic range and some other image quality related things of the GR-D II. In the last week or so, you've been working hard to explore the possibilities of the new camera and you've convinced at least me that it's not necessary at all to compromise on raw speed for higher picture quality. Maybe even on the contrary: it looks like the GR-D II is capable of beating its predecessor in most areas. That makes my life a lot easier in deciding which camera to go for.

Same holds for the raw convertor: since I'm coming from analog, I don't have experience with these tools, but I've been reading a lot of good about SilkyPix. Your example here, as well as plenty of others online, have convinced me that the best first step would be to download the free version and try it out.

Thanks a lot for your work, I appreciate it immensely. Your enthousiasm about these cameras shows !

Looking forward to using the GR-D II and to sharing my photos with you on this forum,

Peter.
--
analog equipment: Zorki+Summitar, digital: waiting for the GR-D II
gallery at http://picasaweb.google.com/peterleyssens
PeterLeyssens

Postby Gil » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:30 pm

I am glad to see that Pavel. I was only able to get a very small about of highlight recovery using SilkyPix, Lightroom and PSCS3.
It must have been the intensity of the reflections on those bottles that just totally blew out the highlights. That can happen
with any camera with strong enough reflection or direct light.

Thanks again for all of your test images and findings for us.

Gil
Gil

Postby odklizec » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:36 pm

Hi Peter,

I'm glad you like my reports and that they helped you with decision! Hope the Ricoh developers and marketing department will (as always) listen the voice of customers and fix these few imperfections I already found and hopefully also add some of the missing and so long requested features ;)

I'm also relative new in RAW processing, because I was quite happy with JPEG results from DLSR. And the RAW from E400 were much bigger (22MB) in comparison to GRD/GRDII DNG. But while testing GRD, I finally realized how powerful the RAW is and how great results it can provide with good tools and careful editing. I read a lot about Bibble. But as there is currently no support for Ricoh DNG, I'm now trying Silkypix. It seems to be very popular in Japan and if you get into the Japanese style of UI, you will find it very powerfull. I would expect more articles about Silkypix as I'm now negotiating some kind of RicohForum & ICHIKAWA SOFT LABORATORY (Silkypix developer) collaboration ;)

BTW, hope to see some pics from your new shining GRDII soon! ;)
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby odklizec » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:45 pm

Gil, sometimes is hard to recover all highlights without distorting the rest of photo. But I think it's possible to recover fairly large amount of "lost" highlights, which are virtually irreparable in JPEG. The more I'm using RAW, the more I like its possibilities. Maybe you already saw my last post about GRDII and NoiseNinja? I'm sorry to say this, but there are situations where the JPEG is simply unusable for anything above ISO200. The noise reduction simply kills a lot of details, even if it's turned OFF. And with fast GRDII writing is the RAW more than useful. If only there would be a switch in JPEG to turn the noise reduction completely OFF, so we would be able to use Continuous mode.. ;)
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby PeterLeyssens » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:57 pm

Pavel,

I've also been considering an Olympus DSLR, but I'm too used to small and less intrusive cameras now. As for Japanese user interfaces: as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't mind if they made the interface entirely Japanese, as it'd be good practice for my Japanese language skills ;) Maybe I should configure my GR-D II for the Japanese language, that'd stop others from playing around with it ! Yes, you can ask me if I can help translating Japanese into something more comprehensible than what Google or Bablefish churns out, but don't expect it within a day, as it takes a lot of time and I only have limited spare time :roll:

Anyway, I'm now concentrating on the sales of my old analog cameras (except the few ones I'm keeping). I also discovered a great magazine to which I immediately subscribed. It's called LensWork and it has no equipment reviews, very high quality print reproductions and just a few bits of explanation about the photographer, so the bare essentials, but executed perfectly. I'm also considering following a good course again, as I had to quit the one I started long ago because work got too busy. So I'm rediscovering my hobby in many different ways at the same time (digital, raw conversion, the trade side, other approaches to subjects, ...) and I'm enjoying it !

As for my non-Ricoh work, you can already check out the gallery in my signature (blatant plug).

Peter.
--
analog equipment: Zorki+Summitar, digital: waiting for the GR-D II
gallery at http://picasaweb.google.com/peterleyssens
PeterLeyssens

Return to Ricoh GR Digital II