problem in Continuous mode

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital II

problem in Continuous mode

Postby odklizec » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:10 am

OK guys, after many good GRDII news, there is also a bad news. And I really hope this will soon be fixed by Ricoh (already reported to them).

As some of you probably noticed (in GRD), that if the camera is set to Continuous mode, it uses the Auto ISO? According the manual (both GRD and GRDII), the Auto ISO should be used only in M-Cont and S-Cont mode! Maybe it's just a mistake in both manuals? Let's say we can live with forced Auto ISO even in Continuous mode. The much worse problem is, that if the GRDII is set to Continuous mode (to any of them) it also enables the NR, regardless of the actual NR setting. And this is unfortunately a major problem!

Before I show you some comparison crops, I would like to tell you about my reasons of using Continuous mode. It's not only good for shooting fast moving subjects, but it can be useful also in case of low/bad light as a workaround for missing stabilization. If you take multiple pics in a row, there is always a good chance that some of them will be sharp. I'm successfully using this technique with my DSLR and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work with GRD? Unfortunately, the continuous mode is definitely unusable if the NR is ON. I really hope, the Ricoh engineers finds it as a bug and fix it in a nearest FW upgrade.

OK, here is the ugly sample. First row is GRDII, second row GRD. Both cameras set to continuous mode and Auto ISO selected ISO322. As you can see, the details are completely destroyed in the GRDII crops...

One more example, this time all crops from GRDII. Even at this low ISO (125) you can see how brutal the NR is (if set to ON). Camera NR is set to OFF in all four shots. However, the Continuous mode seems switch the NR to ON regardless the actual setting.

I really hope this will get fixed, because this issue makes one of the most important GRD/GRDII features useless..at least in case of GRDII.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Re: something fishy in Continuous mode

Postby wildeone » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:41 am

a huge point for me. wow, good catch! thank you for all your hard work. on the premise that this *can* (and will) be fixed, may i ask you about the timing comparison of the continuous modes on both cameras? (using the EV bracket will keep it consistent for a 3 shot comparison).
wildeone

Postby odklizec » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:56 am

Yes, this is a very unpleasant find I really hope this will be sorted out. For example, in bracketing it works as expected - NR is set based of the actual setting. So I really don't understand why the Continuous mode is different? I suppose (hope) this is just a bug and not a "design feature" ;)

As for the Continuous mode timing, please see my other post here:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=455#p1783
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby wildeone » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:22 am

"design feature" LOL! i'd forgotten that term... :D i truly can't imagine this won't be fixed. Ricoh is so good at listening to its users. the question, as always, is when... again, very good catch! you are being so thorough. would that all reviews and tests be as dedicated as you are.

and thank you for pointing me to that part of the thread. my bad. the question came to me as i was falling asleep last night and i'd obviously bypassed it originally. (i was shooting fish in a tank last night at dinner in a restaurant. i got some great shots, my BF and his G9 did not. but he did get a really good picture postcard of my camera :D i am falling more in love with my GRD every day whilst he is becoming more unhappy with his brick.)
wildeone

Re: problem in Continuous mode

Postby odklizec » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:42 pm

Added one more comparison, this time all shots taken with GRD2. I have one suspicion regarding why is the NR ON in Continuous mode, but I hope I'm wrong. "Cleaned" pictures are significantly smaller and so faster to save. Strange to say this, but I still hope it's just a bug ;)
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby jorgeAD » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:30 pm

I shoot continuous with my 5D whenever I go below 1/40 of a sec. One out of three/four shots is always noticeably sharper. Guess I'll have to find a workaround now that my GRD2 is on its way... Somehow $700 doesnt seem that much when you now you'll still be getting great firmware upgrades two years from now !!

Jorge
jorgeAD

Postby odklizec » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:24 pm

The workaround could be using the Bracketing. Not ideal because you can take only three pics in this mode. But this is probably the only way how to take at least few pics in a row with NR OFF.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby odklizec » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:14 pm

Great news guys! The FW 1.12 keeps the actual NR setting in all Continuous modes!
viewtopic.php?f=41&p=2539#p2539

Now I really hope the Ricoh will also allow us to turn the NR completely OFF (RAW-like noise level in JPEG) ;)
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Return to Ricoh GR Digital II