GRDII vs GRD ISO test

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital II

Re: GRDII vs GRD ISO test

Postby lucridders » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:15 am

In two weeks I will put some real life pictures from the GRDII as we bought one in the club. Waite untill than to block my account :)
lucridders

Postby forward » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:06 pm

Lets take a break shall we?

:) :) :)
Attachments
Street #29.jpg
Need to take a break?
(132.46 KiB) Downloaded 3289 times
forward

Postby lrcphoto » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:11 pm

odklizec ... please dont ban lucridders ... his comments usually bring a smile to my face, and I would guess to others :)

I've been a serious amateur for 30+ years. The way I look at jpegs straight out of the camera, auto everything etc is taking my Nikon F3, shooting on auto, and giving the film to my local chemist to send to some lab which then processes the negs in a standard way and prints with auto exposure on cheap paper. Result is maybe one or two reasonable prints the rest ......

I still have a b+w darkroom at home and still do medium format b+w. I use different developers depending on what effect I'm trying to get, change development times to hold back highlights etc. I do print test strips, full test prints, dodge and burn, change contrast filters etc to get the end result I want. This I see as the equivalent of post-processing raw images or to borrow from a website of the same name, the digital darkroom.

The big difference is I can do with software in maybe 10 minutes what would take me 2+ hours in the darkroom.

Take it easy, Roman
lrcphoto

Postby odklizec » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:50 pm

I don't have any intention to ban him if he stop posting useless and out of topic comments ;) I hate banning people. But I also don't like whiners barking at wrong trees. Such kind of people ruin the peaceful and friendly forums.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby lucridders » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:47 pm

I never said that you may not use special settings. For tests however, it is a must to compare for me different cams. We have here in the club and it is very strange that 95% of the members are agreeing with this. I also do 40 years photography and do not make photography more complex as it has to be. I give yiu an example, when having different cams, I can even put settings in such away on a Casio and do postprocessing in such a way that it can compete with the best pictures. But that is not interesting for me. A cam is made o capture light isn't it? The more, a cam has to be made to capture light as close as possible to how you see a scene in real with human eyes, if not it is quite worthless for me, I like to paint than myselves as I can put than completely my expression in it. Once the scene is captured as your eyes have seen it, you are free to do what you like in post processing or even in advance by using special settings. This is the advantage of the digital age and I am pro advantages. Same for the layout of a cam, Ricoh is not worser than some others, this I never told. I even like it. But mistakes in designs of a body as no OVF build in it and so on are not normal for me as it is giving only advantages. Read the points I wrote and you will see that when Ricoh should do so, it would be a brand that no other brand can be compared with it. Advantage in my opinion. And when excluding me from the forum, do not worry, is not my first worry. Will tell on the other hand lots about mentality in this forum. Innovations has to be done and looking for what is bad and can be improved!!
lucridders

Postby davidz » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:17 pm

Hi Lucridders,
since you own both the g9 and the grdII, could you please post some comparison shots? - and yes, I dare to ask, raw.

thnx in advance
davidz

Postby lucridders » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:48 pm

ok, and I will not say what is what. I will take exactly the same pics (quite a big job as I do it with laserbeams to be sure camera is on exact same place, if not, even a small move from a cam can give already los of differences. When comparing I put all to 0) Normally when I do not have to go to France next weekend. I will have some time).
lucridders

Postby lucridders » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:39 am

I can not do a comparable test, as the lens on the G9 is not the same wide-angle as on the GRDII. As you know, I amnot interested in tests when it can not be done in same way. So, I have to buy the teleconverter for the GRDII or the wide-angle for the Canon. As I will not do so, I have to disapoint you. On the other hand, maybe good news, I sell my GRDII as well as my GX100. Interested, make some offer.
lucridders

Postby davidz » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:33 pm

thanx anyways
davidz

Postby simplebot » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:56 am

I did a quick iso1600 test with my grd1 and grd2 to see how sharpening affects the image in jpg. Sorry I don't have a fancy composite image, but I created a flickr set with all the full size images. I also don't have a raw sample in there yet.
It seems like the grd2 with the sharpening set to -2 is introducing the strange artifacts into the image. All the other sharpening settings seem to not do as much to the image. Compared to the grd1 samples though, its' easy to see how much mucking around is going on with the grd2 in the noise reduction "off" mode. The grd1 samples have much less noise compared to the grd2. I chose the word 'magnetic' on the small level to be the center of focus. In jpg the extra resolution doesn't buy anything with the grd2 at iso1600, the grd1 image is much more legible. Looking at the raw files though, the detail is actually better in the grd2 even though there's much more chroma noise than the grd1 raw.
I'm finding that the grd2 is definitely not for people who primarily shoot jpg files at higher iso.
Hope this helps someone.
Here's the link to the flickr set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simplebot/sets/72157603434222040/
-simplebot
simplebot

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh GR Digital II