GRDII RAW writing speeds. Test of various SD cards

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital II

Re: GRDII RAW writing speeds. Test of various SD cards

Postby victoriabcguy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:25 pm

I finally got my new card in the mail!
I got it online at Futureshop.ca for Canadian shoppers -- it was a "web only" product. from a brand called "CoreMicro". I paid 29.99 (CDN$).
It is a8G and is labelled as a Class 6 Card.
It seems to do just a bit more than five blinks to complete the writing process, though that didn't stop me from immediately taking another two or three photos as fas as the camera was able to take a focus lock.I was shooting in the 12M Raw +JPG mode with a GX200.
I have to say that shooting in raw with this card is MUCH better than the old non-classified 2G card I had -- there was a definite pause where the camera was writing the data to the card and being ready to take a new shot.
I know in another thread I was looking for the 16G card -- but for the pricepoint I couldn't pass up the 8G card.
I may get a 2nd 8G card or higher sometime in the future -- such as if I am on an extended holiday and want more capacity - as it is I can take about 343 photos in RAW + JPG, and I probably will just stop taking JPGs all together once I get a bit more well versed in Raw photo editing.
Your friendly neighbourhood photographer from Victoria BC Canada
victoriabcguy

Postby victoriabcguy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:27 pm

Sorry, I just realized I posted my SD Card experience in the GRD Digital II section.
My apologies.
Your friendly neighbourhood photographer from Victoria BC Canada
victoriabcguy

Postby oxideblu » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:07 am

Came across this in the GRDiii faq about what SD cards can be used with the new GRDiii. I suspect it applies to the GRDii as well:

[Note]
The available recording time at once will be depending on remaining battery level.

So I guess as the battery runs down the write speed to the SD card goes down, too. :?: If so, maybe something to consider when doing SD card speed tests -- use the AC adapter.
oxideblu

Postby budongsmith » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:38 am

Is there a definite pause where the camera was writing the data to the card and being ready to take a new shot?

Postby pinotgraves » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:29 am

So, as a new owner of a GR ii (yes, I am in love), I have a question whose answer may be obvious. Can the GRii use a 16MB SD card? I was pleased to see that an 8 GB card will work, and thanks for the evaluation of speed in the comparo trial of various makes and sizes of card.
pinotgraves

Postby odklizec » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:27 am

Hi pinotgraves and welcome here! Yes, the 16GB SDHC should work fine with GRDII. But if you are a RAW shooter, get only the fast one (Class 6) and from brands like Panasonic or Sandisk.

But If I may suggest you something, get couple of 4GB cards instead one 16GB. Higher capacity cards used to be a bit slower during the writing process. Don't ask me why ;) In addition, with 4GB card there is much lower risk of loosing some important photos because you are forced to empty the card much more frequently. I personally use 4GB Panasonic Class6 and I'm perfectly happy with it.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby maximilianjb » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:04 am

Hello, waiting for my new grd2 to arrive, looking for a card and was wondering if class 10 sdhc will work? thanks in advance.
maximilianjb

Previous

Return to Ricoh GR Digital II