GRD II arrived! Let the testing begin!

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital II

Re: GRD II arrived! Let the testing begin!

Postby lucridders » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:30 pm

This is an other example that software people can do lots of good with those minor adjustments as making the picture erasable in view mode. But it shows at the same time that they are not really thinking that far!!! As software developper I should make it that when a picture is taken, it will come on the screen and I will hold it there. Once we have the preview screen, I should make the software that all items that can be done in review mode should be able to do at this moment = erasing, trimming and so on. To take away the picture we just push the shutter button, not other buttons as now and we are ready to take other shot.. So, they can still make it more user friendly!!!
About the shuter delay setting I can not agree with you. When a cam is off, it has to return in its normal condition = OFF next time we put the camera on. If not we can create easely misunderstandings.
What I personally miss again are the following items:
1- viewfinder separately, has to be build into the bodycamera, will be much more pocketable as now and we will still be able to use the flash as the hotshoe can come on top of it.
2- a screen, I hope that is not showing those colored lines in some highlight situations, is this solved?
3- flash placed in such a way that it can be used with the wide-angle lens. Is this solved?
4- using of Lithium-Polymer cells instead of Lithium-Ion. I see it is still same batterie as GX100
5- Flash with a real intelligent measuring system so that we do not have to guess anymore what should be the correct setting.
6- Software that we can use the thumbwheel for all settings we have set that we need. Now per example in the GX100, we can set 4 items, but in the menu we have more items that we can set. Is little bit far from logic.

In my opinion, those little changes are a must to make a camera as it has to be. Maybe the next version :)
lucridders

Re: GRD II arrived! Let the testing begin!

Postby odklizec » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:36 pm

1- viewfinder separately, has to be build into the bodycamera, will be much more pocketable as now and we will still be able to use the flash as the hotshoe can come on top of it.
I hope they will never do this, because this is not doable without enlarging the camera body (good example..see the G7/9 brick). And such internal viewfinder would most probably be useless with attached wide or tele lens (again, see G7/9). So you will still have to use external viewfinder. I really don't see any good reason for internal viewfinder, especially if it would mean enlarged body (and you bet it would mean larger body or tiny and useless hole).

2- a screen, I hope that is not showing those colored lines in some highlight situations, is this solved?
The GRD2 screen is much better and all these noise and light streaks when focusing seems to be gone. Maybe not 100%, but it's definitely improved. I will try to take a comparison video. But it would be rather hard as I don't own camera and only the GRD2 is capable of 640x480 video ;)

3- flash placed in such a way that it can be used with the wide-angle lens. Is this solved?
Sorry, cannot be done without redesigning (enlarging) the camera body, which would be (and I'm pretty sure of that) a very unwanted and unwelcome step. GRD people don't want larger body, even if it would mean better flash or internal VF. The internal flash is just an emergency flash. You should always take it like that! This is why there is a TTL capable hotshoe.

4- using of Lithium-Polymer cells instead of Lithium-Ion. I see it is still same batterie as GX100
Why not? But Lithium-Polymer cells still have less capacity than Lithium-Ion cells and they are expensive to manufacture! So until they are not mass marketed, I don't see any good reason why should Ricoh invest in such technology and force their users to use expensive batteries? Do you have any numbers how many cameras/manufacturers (even big brands) uses Li-Pol batteries? I suspect these numbers will be very low. BTW, Leica M8 also uses Lithium-Ion..why should the 10 times cheaper camera use so (currently) expensive technology?

5- Flash with a real intelligent measuring system so that we do not have to guess anymore what should be the correct setting.
Cannot comment the GRD2 flash performance yet, but I will definitely test it. However, the GRD2 focus speed and auto white balance seems to be improved, so maybe there are changes also in flash performance? We will see ;)

6- Software that we can use the thumbwheel for all settings we have set that we need. Now per example in the GX100, we can set 4 items, but in the menu we have more items that we can set. Is little bit far from logic.
Yes, more than four settings would be welcome. But on the other hand, too much presets would make the selection less intuitive and much more time consuming. The more custom positions on the screen, the longer time required for decision. Currently, you don't have to think about the selection much.
But personally, I think the GRD menu system is already on its limit. The menu and number of controls of such sized camera is really impressive.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Ricoh GR Digital II