External Flash for GRD II

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital II

AW: External Flash for GRD II

Postby kanzlr » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:12 pm

I can also recommend the small Metz. I use it with the GXR and GRD2 and it works very well.

Screw TTL. Never liked it on DSLRs anyway. The Metz is an auto flash, it will expose correctly in most scenarios.

Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus mit Tapatalk
kanzlr
Site Supporter

Re: External Flash for GRD II

Postby Blow-in » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:28 pm

I have the Metz 20 C-2 too having bought it after extensive research. It is nearly the same size as the GRD but because it only has 2 AAs to power it, it is not heavy and the balance of the camera is reasonable with it fitted. It also has a bounce capability, a locking foot and 2 power (aperture) settings. For reliable results it is best to set the camera to manual and select a shutter speed that you can hand hold and an aperture near to either F2.8 or F5.6 as selected on the flash....you may need to stop down slightly for best results. A consequence of the 2 power cells is that it can take a while to recharge so if I know I'm going to be taking flash photos I fit newly recharged cells and take some spares.

A 2nd hand alternative could be the Olympus T 20 (I think the T 32 would be too big/heavy but may be not). I had a T 20 years ago and it was a good gun and the 'flat' design would probably sit better on the GRD than the Metz - however, no bounce head (the T 32 does have a bounce head).

Richard
Blow-in
Site Supporter

Previous

Return to Ricoh GR Digital II