External Flash for GRD II

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital II

External Flash for GRD II

Postby drfunk891 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:51 pm

I'm trying to figure out what external flash will work with the GRD ii besides the gf-1. Sorry if this has been answered already but I've been looking through this forum and can't really find anything on it. I read in a thread that you can't just use any flash as there might be a compatibility issue that will fry the electronics in the camera. Any ideas guys???? thanks!
drfunk891

Re: External Flash for GRD II

Postby odklizec » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:19 pm

hi drfunk891 and welcome here! Be aware that the GF-1 is not compatible with GRDII! GF-1 is only compatible with GRDIII and GXR! If you are looking for TTL capable flash, your only choice is one of the Sigma flashes mentioned in GRDII manual. If you want something smaller, you can try for example Metz 20 C-2. A lot of GRD/GX users use this small and inexpensive flash. It's powered by two AA batteries so don't expect miracles. But it's reasonably powerful flash for small rooms and even for flash bounced over the ceiling. Unfortunately, no TTL support.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby garry71 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:33 pm

I don't know why Ricoh don't design their own matching flash unit for a sensible price. I'm sure lots of people would buy one if they did.
garry71

Postby odklizec » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:22 pm

They did. GF-1 is Ricoh own flash. Unfortunately, they did it in a wrong way. What we need is a small pocketbale flash of Nikon SB-400 size and shape. Anything larger is simply too big to be carried along with the camera. Not to mention the balance of camera like GRD with attached GF-1 is completely wrong. It does not feel right even with GXR. It's simply too big and heavy :(
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby marc » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:52 pm

drfunk981,
I guess Sigma SF-500 DG ST SA STTL works with GRDII, since it does with GRD1, but double-check.
its is in fact very big, but in case you are looking for TTL and this is no problem to you, I am selling mine here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4214
marc
Site Supporter

Postby garry71 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:00 pm

odklizec wrote:They did. GF-1 is Ricoh own flash. Unfortunately, they did it in a wrong way. What we need is a small pocketbale flash of Nikon SB-400 size and shape. Anything larger is simply too big to be carried along with the camera. Not to mention the balance of camera like GRD with attached GF-1 is completely wrong. It does not feel right even with GXR. It's simply too big and heavy :(

Just had a look at the GF-1, it's way way too big for our small cameras. You're right about the Nikon unit, that looks much more suitable.
The GF-1 would be better at the side, on a bracket fixed to the tripod thread with a connector to the hotshoe.
garry71

Postby dinoalbert » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:53 am

Hi, Im also new here :)

May I ask what is the maximum Flash trigger voltage of the GRD II?

I tried it with my SB600 and it works, even on off-camera flash using a remote radio trigger.

But is it safe?

I need to know the trigger voltage so I know which better flash to buy.

What about the older Nikon SB-25?

You mentioned earlier the SB-400....it is safe with our GRD II?

thanks..
dinoalbert

Postby odklizec » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:29 am

Hi dinoalbert,

I answered your question about trigger voltage here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=414&p=19316#p19316

As for SB400, it's not usable with GRD as it's TTL flash designed to work only with Nikon cameras.

There is unfortunately no small and TTL capable flash like SB400 compatible with GRD (Ricoh) system. There is number of non-TTL small flashes but not TTL. Many people here uses Metz 20 C-2. It's small and reasonable powerful flash with bouncing head.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby dinoalbert » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:42 am

odklizec wrote:Hi dinoalbert,

I answered your question about trigger voltage here:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://ricohforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=414&p=19316#p19316">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=414&p=19316#p19316</a><!-- l -->

As for SB400, it's not usable with GRD as it's TTL flash designed to work only with Nikon cameras.

There is unfortunately no small and TTL capable flash like SB400 compatible with GRD (Ricoh) system. There is number of non-TTL small flashes but not TTL. Many people here uses Metz 20 C-2. It's small and reasonable powerful flash with bouncing head.
thanks again, odklizec

so that means only full-manual flashes are compatible with the GRDII?

for the moment I cant find a Metz here in my place but I found one which is relatively cheap, about $20 only :)

you think this will work fine ? >>> http://www.tayhua.com/morrisflash.html
dinoalbert

Postby odklizec » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:53 am

This flash looks very similar to Metz? It's hard to say if it will work fine without trying it? I would not expect miracles for that price. But I would not expect much different performance either (if compared to Metz). Just make sure it's safe to use with GRD! ;)
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
odklizec
Site Admin

Next

Return to Ricoh GR Digital II