Placed order at Adorama

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital II

Placed order at Adorama

Postby KaRoy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:55 am

Price with shipping $713. Won't be shipping until end of Nov. I know many will find it cheaper, but this is about a love affair, so don't rub it in, ok? :oops:

3 weeks and counting (down)...
KaRoy

Re: Placed order at Adorama

Postby lucridders » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:52 pm

In Austria, the price will be 448 Euro and can be ordered now already. But only sent out to Austria and Germany!!!
lucridders

Postby Tom Caldwell » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:27 pm

Early adopters pay more but they get their fun for longer - they also get the right to gloat a bit and tell others about their new toy.

I am serious about using my GR-D and the grip has a serious wear patina (but far from "worn out") - which looks rather cool and professional - I am as happy as that Larry with my GR-D and I see no real need to replace it.

However the GR-D is pretty good and the GR-DII can only make it nicer. Unlike many new camera releases it is a quiet subtle improvement. Ricoh have not found it necessary to put big badges, or flahy chrome or even change the colour in the new model. The GR-D is not automatically superseded and made look "old fashioned". Part of the Ricoh compact with their clients - bring out a practical good looking camera and then protect the investment of their customers.

No planned obsolescence here. You can buy any model Ricoh and expect it to be good-looking, practical and useful for years to come. Should be a major selling point if we could only realise this and Ricoh could get that message out to to the non-converted.

I am glad in a way that the GR-DII is not rocking the internet with the "new model good news" it allows Ricoh to quietly fill up the stores with the camera and to keep up the steady pace. The older model will remain supplementary to the new model and not be immediately obsoleted and if we think about it - it is the only way that makes real sense for a high-quality camera company.

There are small style differences betwen the GR-D and the GR-DII but only a Ricoh enthusiast is going to be able to pick them in the field.

We will all be happy to hear about the GR-DII once it snuggles up in your hands (Smile)

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby Player » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:01 pm

Hey guys, I'm new here. I placed an order at Adorama for a GRD2 a couple weeks ago. Just a heads up, I just received an email from Rachel, she said that they're expecting them to come in next week.

Quick question, can I use the Voightlander VFs on a GRD2? I ordered the 40mm converter, and I don't think the new VF for the GRD2 has framelines for 40mm, can I use a 40mm Voightlander VF instead? I'll probably be picking up the 21mm converter as well, and I was hoping I could use a 21mm Voightlander VF as well. Thanks.
Player

Postby odklizec » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:35 pm

Hello Player and welcome here!

As to your question, yes, you can use the 40mm Voightlander VF with GRD2. Here is a pic from Ricoh GR blog:
It says "Rollei", but it should be the same CV VF.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby Player » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:24 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome odklizec.

I'm glad to hear about the 40mm VF. I'll probably get a 21 and 40mm VL VF, that means I might be carrying three VFs.

BTW, I've been reading your threads, and they're very informative. I'm looking forward to reading your GRD2 review.

Keep up the great work! And thanks again!
Player

Postby KaRoy » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:00 am

Adorama emailed me that they're expecting a 6 wk delay on being able to ship this thing. Ce' la vie!
KaRoy

Postby Gil » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:03 am

I heard from Adorama earlier today to expect the camera in 2 to 3 weeks!?!? I saw on DPReview Recoh forum, and on Pop Flash
web page, they're shipping out GRD IIs NOW! I might be calling Adorama and Pop Flash Friday!

I saw on Adorama GRD II page that they expect the cameras in on 28 November. This is a change made late today, I believe. It
use to say "late November". We may never know until the camera shows up at our door.
Gil

Postby F. Stop Fitzgerald » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:47 am

I guess I am a real optimist. But, I have found that web based retailers (like Amazon for instance) often overestimate the time it takes to ship an item. They do this because if there is a delay (like with U.S. Customs), they can say that they warned you. But, very often the item arrives a lot sooner and the customer is very pleased. So I would not be surprised if you were to receive the GR II in about a week or two. Please let us know when you receive it!
F. Stop Fitzgerald

Postby Player » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:02 am

Wow, that's interesting, everyone seems to be getting a different response from Adorama.

Just a thought, I pre-ordered about three weeks ago, maybe they won't have enough cameras, in the first shipment, to fill all the pre-orders. I doubt it, but just a thought.
Player

Next

Return to Ricoh GR Digital II